on 19 July 2014
Good value book for cricket enthusiasts
on 20 November 2015
I found this disappointing
on 2 December 2014
I was a great admirer of CMJ as a test match special commentator: far superior to some that are remembered today as "legends of broadcasting". He gave a straightforward explaination of what was going on and why, had a very good understanding of cricket, and the issues confronting it. His newspaper articles that I read (a small fraction of his output) had the same qualiities.

That said, this is not a very good book. It reads like a memoir for family and friends rather than a serious attempt to address English cricket over the past four decades within the framework of his own career. It is, to put it bluntly, very boring in many places and, given the content, far too long. I contunually found myself reading the first line of a paragraph and then immediately going to the next paragraph to see if it was any more interesting. A serious editor might have helped (none is acknowledged). It is incredible to me that someone with CMJ's list of jobs and connections could not have come up with something more incisive and interesting. However, whether CMJ ran out of time is unclear.

There are numerous errors that proper editing would have found: the one that hit me between the eyes (p82 paperback) was that he has Vorster as the South African PM who was assassinated. It was of course Verwoerd. Dates are wrong, facts misplaced far too often.

Having paid £1 in a charity shop, I am just moderately miffed. But, this could perhaps have been a very good book with a different approach. It is a sad way for CMJ to leave us.
on 27 May 2012
It is OK_I was expecting more. It is not an easy flowing read. I feel he tried too hard in writing the book whereas his cricket reports are pithy factual with a touch of humour. I am ploughing though it and have nearly finished. I wish CM-J well in his fight against illness.
on 30 April 2015
good present
on 16 January 2016
he liked it
on 2 June 2015
great read
on 30 January 2013
CMJ was a brilliant broadcaster and a true gentleman. He writes beautifully as usual but there were long passages which I found boring.
I'm not much into club cricket and have no knowledge of the teams and personalities. The same with quite a few of the other chapters where I was unfamiliar with the characters involved, particularly in the newspaper business. He does tell a good story overall. Enjoyable.
on 1 June 2013
Lost in statistical detail rather lost its shape and got bored towards the end.Pitty as he was a good broadcaster
on 15 August 2013
Sadly I ended up not liking a man whose commentary I had enjoyed over many years. He came across as a difficult man to like when you read between the lines.