5.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack of a life....
First up I need to declare I am a big fan of Mark Radcliffe- his and Stuart Maconie's Radio 2 show kept me company on the long drive home when I was working late, until their move to 6 Music and I have previously given very favourable reviews to his previous "Showbusiness" and "Thank You For The Days" offerings, so I want to try and avoid this turning into a...
Published on 24 May 2011 by M. McCann

3.0 out of 5 stars Never Mind
Rather like two naughty school boys on the back row, it seems that Messrs Radcliffe and Maconie have been looking at each other's home-work as well as DJing together. In Maconie's recent new book, "Days of Hope and Glory" he takes a seminal date from each decade of the twentieth century and wraps an interesting state-of-the-nation essay around it. Here, Mark Radcliffe...
Published on 24 Aug 2011 by Roger Risborough

5.0 out of 5 stars The Listening Years, 17 July 2011
Graeme Wright "book worm" (salford) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
After Mark Radcliffe's previous journey into music related writing, Thank You For The Days, a book which literally described eventful days from his life it seems a logical, indeed natural, step to examine a piece of music released from each year of that life. Music is as honest a reflection of one's personality as anything else and in the choices Radcliffe has made - 'Move It' from 1958 through to last year's 'Factory' by Band of Horses - the changing tastes as he develops an interest in music for it's own sake are the stuff that anthropologists dream of! The fact that Radcliffe chooses to ramble about the most irrelevant of associations rather than deconstruct the music, try to discover why he chose that particular song or what his emotive state was when he first heard it only adds to this book's undeniable entertainment value. 1976's 'New Rose' by The Damned, for example, is treated with due reverence before Radcliffe treats us to some of his own, previously unpublished poetry. The link, as tenuous as any link can be, is a passing reference to John Cooper Clarke, the punk poet of Salford. In such exhalted literary company Captain Sensible and the lads should feel deeply honoured.
Reelin' In The Years is not a book that is going to be referenced and widely quoted on late night arts programmes on BBC2 by musicologists attempting to explain the deeper relevance of 'Puppet On A String' by Sandie Shaw (1967). It will however be read time and time again by people of a certain age who will agree, disagree or be prepared to argue with Radcliffe's yearly choices. For this latter group it will also provide a whole juke box worth of laughter and pleasure. Here's to the next fifty years Mark!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from mark., 25 Jun 2014
Peter Giles (Bournemouth,England) - See all my reviews
I have read other books by Mark Radcliffe, and listened to his radio shows for years of course, and he never disappoints. Being of the same age group I can identify with a lot of the content, and some of the musical choices, but he certainly has a great way with the English language which others lack. There are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, and yet some thoughtful and verging on the serious sections as well.(Calm down Mark!) A very good read for a holiday , or any other time really. It makes you want to sit down and write your own life in records, but I for one certainly wouldn't do it so well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Book, 18 Jan 2014
If you love music buy this book. Whilst you may not agree with the choices it is wonderfully entertaining and easy to dip in and out of.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 19 Aug 2013
I expected this to be more interesting as I used to like Mark's radio shows and found them really funny. This was just a bit boring. I had already read one of his books and didn't find it interesting but wanted to try another one but sadly this one wasn't any more interesting than the first

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive, 2 Aug 2013
W. Parfitt (England) - See all my reviews
I like Mark Radcliffe, a witty and interesting guy, but he's not a particularly good writer, there's too much repetition for my taste, and he 'goes off on one' too much - that said, there are interesting anecdotes and tales about various musicians etc ... I got about half way through before i gave up.

4.0 out of 5 stars You Really Got Me, Mark!, 13 Jun 2013
I liked this, but then I liked Mark's 'Thank You For The Days' which I read a few years back. As a fellow Northerner with a similar taste in music (apart from those over-rated Manc bands, but then Mark's from Bolton and grew up with them, so I'll forgive him for that), what's not to like? I even walked Hadrian's Wall recently, which brought me right up to date with Mark's concluding chapters, so I feel as though I almost know him. We'd easily bond over a pint, that's for sure. Hadn't realised he was a drummer - when I saw his band a few years back, supporting Wilko Johnson at the O2 Islington, he was out front, singing and playing really good harp, the bastard! And they were a very tight band too. This book is full of wonderful anecdotes and insightful comments which will mean even more if you love the music, as I do (mostly, but then wouldn't it be boring if our tastes were identical?). If you've a train or a plane to catch, this is the ideal companion.

3.0 out of 5 stars He shoots. He scores., 9 May 2013
Mr Radcliffe was in front of an open goal with not even the keeper to beat. Needless to say he slotted the ball home with style and aplomb. Then again, how could me miss? 55 year old DJ, all round good guy, and music obsessive writes a book (when he was 52 years of age) about his favourite songs (one for each year of his life), which is read by a 51 year music obsessive. It was already a pretty good "fit".

I don't share Mark's enthusiasm for Pink Floyd or Genesis, though daresay I would have if I was four years older, however - that aside - I agreed with virtually all of his opinions.

It's fair to say I didn't learn anything about the artists or tunes I didn't already know (except the origin of Leadbelly's moniker (chronic constipation triv fans)), however I did read a lot of interesting biographical stuff about Mark, and warmed to his dry, matter-of-fact, and quietly witty style.

If you can answer "yes" to at least two of the the following:

Do you love popular music?
Do you find Mr Radcliffe engaging?
Do you enjoy biographies?

Then I'd say you will really enjoy this book too. I have ordered his biography "Thank You for the Days: A Boy's Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond" on the strength of this one. I shall, of course, report back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right up my street, 26 April 2013
E. A. Banks (Ipswich, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
The premise of this book is that Mark Radcliffe has chosen a record from each year of his life and written a chapter that is (very) loosely based around that song and more particularly the year in which it was released. What a brilliantly simple idea!
This is just the sort of music based nerdy nonesense that I like.
If you love music and high quality writing, you will love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Birthday Gift for Son, 13 April 2013
Pleased with service and cost and my son seemed equally pleased after reading this book by BBC radio disc jockey.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit hit and miss, 19 Dec 2012
The Fat Monk (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Oh Scrawn, you've entertained me on the radio and also on the telly. You're books have been a really good read too - especially Northern Sky.

But this one is a bit too self indulgent in places, and that spoils things a bit.

Where it's good, it's really good, but I don't need you to tell me how good your radio shows were, or how you got away with stuff that made you cutting edge - I was listening, so I know that already. If I wasn't listeningnI'm hardly likely to just take your word for it?

You've entertained me now for years, but this isn't your finest work, I'm afraid.

Oh, and Jarvis DID NOT bare his backside to Michael Jackson at the Brits... Why would you play a part in perpetuating this myth. Watch it back - the video is online and can be found in seconds - as any fule no, he just waved his hands behind his back exactly like he said he did in interviews at he time.

I expected more from you, scrawny bloke.

Reelin' in the Years: The Soundtrack of a Northern Life
Reelin' in the Years: The Soundtrack of a Northern Life by Mark Radcliffe (Paperback - 10 May 2012)
5.20