5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it
Published 21 months ago by Daniel Woodrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad....
Quite enjoyed this but the subject matter is a bit stomach churning and disturbing so won't be to everyone's liking.
Published 14 months ago by S. Piercy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Knot (Hardcover)
To be honest, I first got to know Mark Watson through his appearances on Fighting Talk, a sports comedy programme on BBC 5 Live, and have since enjoyed seeing his live stand up show and various TV appearances, from desperately trying to getting a word in edgeways on Mock The Week to stealing the show on Live At The Apollo. That such a funny, modest person could then have the talent to go on to write such an engrossing, moving and witty novel is both awe-and-jealousy inspiring in equal measure.

The surprise subject matter has been mentioned in other reviews. Not wishing to spoil it, I'll just say that I had no problems with it at all - it's the way these subjects are handled rather than the subjects themselves that seem to cause problems but Mark gets the tone just right. Like his comedy, it is the observations of the little things in the main protagonist's life that I particularly enjoyed, and the more I read the more I was drawn in until I had to read the book in one sitting, right through to its brilliantly clever ending.

The Knot is a perfectly-pitched, moving and humorous novel which I would recommend unreservedly. It made me cry, in a good way, and is a sure sign that when he's done with sitting there and being ignored on Mock The Week, Mark has plenty to offer the literary world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Knot, 27 Sep 2012
Claudia Higgins (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knot (Kindle Edition)
This was the first of Mark Watson's books that I have read, and I was very glad I did.

First of all, if you have managed to avoid hearing much about the story so far, keep it that way and let the story unfold as it was intended. I will try to keep my review spoiler free, although this is no mean feat with a book like this!

The 'Knot', in the title of this book refers both to "tying the knot" (the main character is a wedding photographer), and also to the kind of knot one gets in the pit of their stomach. Dominic has had a knot in his stomach since an early age, and the novel follows him throughout his life, rarely explicitly confronting his 'knot', but showing how much it affects the way he lives his life.

The nature of Dominic's secret is something that is one of society's biggest taboos, but Watson's writing is completely unsensational, avoids loaded language and does not judge the characters, and I found myself sympathising with and pitying a character who in many other authors' hands would be completely unrelatable.

The book is at times - as you would expect from someone as witty as Watson - very funny, but at other points, it is completely heartbreaking. It is a fascinating and involving story and I would recommend it to anyone able to approach a very human story with an open and empathetic mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book. Read it in one sitting on a long flight., 2 Nov 2012
C. Johnson "flosssy" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knot (Kindle Edition)
I hadn`t realised that Mark Watson had written novels until we saw him at the Fringe in August (incidentally, in response to other reviews, you're right...he's no Peter Kay- he's far less cliched, far funnier and excellent live). I immediately read Eleven and enjoyed it and then waited for the kindle price to come down a bit for The Knot. I wish I hadn't waited. I was engrossed. Ok, so it isn't War and Peace, but amongst some of the tepid fiction on sale today, it's a welcome relief. I can't actually remember the last time a book moved me to tears, but this one did...twice. Try hiding your snuffles in a spacious easyjet cabin! I loved it and felt that odd mix of sadness and contentment that often comes when you read the final page of a good book. Thank you, Mark. Can't wait for your next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 17 Aug 2013
SLB (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knot (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! I started it straight after reading '11', needing to read some more from this excellent author, and I wasn't disappointed. A tender, moving love story with a big twist and an exhilarating ending. It made me laugh, made me cry, and I'll miss Dominic and Victoria, the main characters. I feel bereft now I've finished it, as with all great books! Can't wait to read more from Mark Watson... I still can't believe the comedian I've seen on Mock The Week etc is the same man who wrote this!! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad...., 21 April 2013
S. Piercy (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A writer on a course for the top, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Knot (Kindle Edition)
This is a quality novel from a man who must be considered one of the next big fiction writers. Sometimes bleak but always remaining deeply engrossing, Watson has created a character that attracts huge sympathy from the reader, as well as a colourful supporting cast. A tale of painful loss, forbidden love and grinding mediocrity, Watson tackles subjects that far more experienced novelists would struggle with. Definitely worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Mark Watson, 29 Jun 2014
Ms. K. J. Phipps (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knot (Paperback)
Having ready 'Eleven' I knew that I already loved this authors style of writing and so was already very much looking forward to this read. I wasn't disappointed. He is just so easy to read. I have to warn you that this book does touch on a very sensitive subject but that doesn't distract from enjoying the book. I read this in a weekend and I found it hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, as they say..., 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Knot (Kindle Edition)
Had seen Mark Watson in stand-up show at the Edinburgh Fringe a few years ago and thought he was great. After reading 'The Knot' realise he is a talented writer. Loved the book - a beautifully crafted novel of pathos and humour with well drawn characters. (This one would make a lovely film!) Looking forward to reading more of his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 15 July 2013
This review is from: The Knot (Paperback)
I normally take a while to get into a book. However, as soon as you start reading the knot your immersed in the characters lives. There's something about the way Mark Watson writes that's very engaging and there's just so many parts to this book which I loved. I nearly finished it in 2 days its that good. It stirs up such a range of emotions. Its very witty but also had me crying a little in parts! READ IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 12 April 2013
This review is from: The Knot (Hardcover)
I'd been looking forward to reading this after reading some initial reviews - I wasn't disappointed and in fact have read it in just two days.... I didn't realise he had written before and am now very excited about the prospect of trying the others.
The initial story outline seemed appealing but it was much more - I don't want to give the plot away but would just say excellent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Knot
The Knot by Mark Watson (Paperback - 6 Jun 2013)
4.24