on 29 July 2010
Love grows in a series of small realisations, or so Gianlucia Vechiarelli claims, but as the book goes on, love also ends in a series of small realisations! Valentina is at the heart of a very strong-willed and complicated family, often setting aside her own life and feelings for everyone else. When Valentina ventures to Buenos Aires to discover her family secret she gets much more than she bargained for. As quick as Gianlucia arrives he is gone, Valentina cannot give as much as he'd like when she finds that part of her family are of argentinian descent and were banished from America many years ago. On arrival back home the family don't know how to react but this is the least of their worries when Valentinas brother is found cheating on his wife 'clickety click' with the woman who is funding their project that will help the Angelini Shoe Company to survive.

A great read and a perfect end to the very valentine episode. I read it in 24 hours whilst on holiday, I couldn't put this book down!
on 29 December 2010
What a con - I bought 'Brava,Valentine' in good faith expecting it to be a new Adriana Trigiani novel having read all of her other books. BUT - it is actually 'Encore, Valentine' with a new title and new cover. There is no reference anywhere as to this so I bought a book I have already read. Very very disappointed.
on 19 January 2011
I bought this book along with Encore Valentine for my Mum for Christmas. It turns out they are both the same book - not just similar, word for word! No mention of this on the description. Luckily Amazon have refunded one of them.
on 3 March 2011
I bought this book in the airport as a light easy read and it didn't dissapoint. It's an easy to read, enjoyable book. My biggest complaint and an irratating one as I bought this book mainly due to it's inclusion of Buenos Aires (a place I love and visit often as my family come from there), is that the auther doesn't seem to have been or even read up on Buenos Aires.
I know this sounds pedantic but do some research. No one lives in houses on cobbled streets in the capital, there is very little African influence (she describes BA as a mixture of spanish, Italian and African) as unfortunately there are very few people of African origin in Buenos Aires.
Think she confused the city with Sao Paulo..
...AND who goes to BA and doesn't eat STEAK!!?
on 14 May 2010
Lovely sequel to Very Valentine, it was a pure joy to catch up with all the Roncalli family, the characters are all so loveable (especially "Mike") - its like catching up with your own family members - but a lot more fun!!! As with all of Adriani Trigiani's books, they are books you just have to demand peace and quiet to sit and savour every word - I am such a fan!! As with Very Valentine, can't wait to find out what happens to Valentine and all her family and friends next. The attention to detail, the descriptions of the people and places in the books are wonderful, and, after all, every girl loves shoes, so to hear about how they are produced and feel the passion that goes into designing a beautiful original pair, a lovely story - again!
on 6 July 2011
Trying to enjoy Encore Valentine is like trying to staple a jelly to the wall; impossible, pointless and boring. I thought that the plot, which had real potential, was ruined by the weak, 2D characters that inhabited it. I bought this book as a light summer read; however I found it more of a chore than a leisure.

The opening scene focused on the wedding of Valentine's grandmother, and to say they were meant to have such a close relationship, I have never known someone to portray such little emotion at such an important event. It continues to describe her mediocre life in New York, one tedious page blurring into the next, while a more intriguing love story goes on in the background. Perhaps if a little more attention had been payed to this part, then the story might have been a little more interesting, but as it was, I found myself groaning at the clichéd romance, wondering why anyone would make the same bemusing choices as she did.

I found Valentine hard to connect with, because of her hard, cold personality that is the stereotype of many modern day women. Have we all grown so superficial that we no longer posses a heart? According to Adriana Trigiani, yes we have. The main character, and in this case the narrator, is the making or breaking of any book, and I'm afraid this part wasn't just broken, it was smashed into a million pieces and then tipped into the blender.

If the plot had been better developed and the characters brought to life, then it would have been a brilliant book. As it is, it's not. Don't waste your money.
on 5 March 2011
What a con - I bought Encore Valentine in good faith expecting it to be a new Adriana Trigiani novel having read all of her other books. BUT - it is actually 'Bava Valentine' with a new title and new cover. There is no reference anywhere as to this so I bought a book I have already read. Very very disappointed.
on 23 March 2011
Really disappointed as this was touted as the third book in a series, bought it only to find it is Encore Valentine with a different cover and a new title. Is there in fact a third book and how can we all be sure that is what we are getting? I felt cheated and disappointed as the first two books were very good and was looking forward to meeting this very funny, human family again.
on 31 December 2010
What a con this book is the same as Encore Valentine will be wery next time as it can be exspensive publishers take note (Mrs M keenan)
on 4 April 2011
Well, I got about three pages into chapter two and gave up.

I don't like the style of writing, but what annoyed me the most was the sentences in Italian - I don't speak Italian, so don't know what it means, and I'm not going to all the bother of translating it on Google to find out what it means either. I red in bed, so I'd have to get out of bed, switch my laptop on etc - what a complete load of hassle!

I do think it's extremely rude of a writer to do this, so Miss Trigiani, if you can't write in English - which surprise surprise your readers in Britain/Australia/America speak - then I can't be bothered to read your books!