5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
good holidat reading
Published 5 months ago by David N Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Have I read this before ?
Published on 30 Nov 2011 by Walszi

3.0 out of 5 stars Have I read this before ?, 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: Hellhole (Paperback)
I was pleased with the prospect of reading a Herbert / Anderson collaboration never suspecting that it was the start of a trilogy. As mentioned by another reviewer this is actually book 1. Ok so not necessarily a bad thing except I was expecting an ending rather than a cliffhanger. Within the first couple of pages my interest was hooked and it became compulsive reading for a while. The various characters are given some entertaining back stories although I found some chapters repeating information and descriptions. Either these were handover chapters with each author wanting to re-iterate facts we already knew, or it is a foretaste of the Saga of the Seven Suns where KA felt the need to repeat great swathes of back story with every book. Believe me by the end of Book 1 I know who all the characters are and where they came from. The introduction of the live Xayan extra-terrestrials just seemed to trite and convenient and I presume the mysterious spacecraft are the other Xayan faction returning to their homeworld having felt the telemancering in the ether , or was it through the thism ? Still the story continues with the expected 'good guys' versus 'bad guys'. It's a sci-fi space opera romp , not too challenging, but ideal for the long winter nights. Will read the next installment to see where it leads.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cliche, 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: Hellhole (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading the book though it is very similar to various other I have read recently and seemed a bit formulaic. The dialogue between characters sometimes was unrealistic. The main baddie in the book is the Diadem who seems a cartoonish type villain with no finesse and not very clever bearing in mind she hold be a devious conniving woman who has to stay sharp to remain in power. The idea of the major planets in the series being called the crown jewels and the throne being called the star throne didn't feel right either.

In saying this is worthy of a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
good holidat reading

5.0 out of 5 stars KJA does it again. Superb concept., 7 July 2014
This review is from: Hellhole (Kindle Edition)
I am as usual with KJA waiting for the last volume. It is due in August I believe so I am bracing myself for more late nights.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good start to a series., 28 April 2014
This review is from: Hellhole (Paperback)
A different style of book which took my interest from the start. Hope the remaining books keep up the standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hellhole (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant start to a new series! Loved reading every minute of it and look forward to reading book 2 and the publication of book 3.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hellhole, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Hellhole (Paperback)
Not up to the "Dune" standards but still a very good read as SF and Fantasy. Am looking forward to follow-ups..

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings..., 20 Sep 2011
JPS - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hellhole (Paperback)
I do share some of the comments made by others. Some of the caracters just don't seem to come to life and feel like they have been caricatured. A few of the themes are rather conventional. Some elements don't seem very realistic either. Here is the Diadem, essentially the Empress of over 70 planets bujt, part from her favorite henchman, she doesn't seem to have any other real supporters. No armed forces of her own apart from a few guards? No Imperial Guard? How about security services or Intelligence Services? I also agree that it is a bit of a dirty trick to start a new series without mentioning this. And I go on, and on, and on...

Having said all this, I must also confess that I could hardly put the book down and I spent a couple of late nights (or rather early mornings!) to finish it. I wanted to know what exactly was the plot, how the Diadem would react to it (although that one was somewhat predictable: with maximum force!) and what would happen next. Another reason to rant after this: the ending of volume I is abrupt, with the story being somewhat cut off. Worth 3 stars for me nevertheless, because it was a page turner, despite everything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars KJA at his best..., 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Hellhole (Paperback)
...With na little help from his friend Brian... Or is it the opposite ?
The plot and characters remind me of the saga of seven suns : maybe a bit less technical about the spaceships, stardrive, and wonders of that human civilisation (with no mention of earth !?) and more accurate details about personnalities, feelings and human lives (better female characters too).I am greedily awaiting the sequel...

4.0 out of 5 stars By the numbers entertainment, 5 Feb 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hellhole (Paperback)
Readers of Kevin and Brian's joint projects will be aware of a number of things, firstly that they play for keeps and are not adverse to killing off characters, secondly that the cultures are on a turning point and above all else there are some single minded individuals determined to do their best to change things for the better.

Back that up with some descent prose alongside a reasonable pace and it's a Science Fiction book by the numbers that will please readers of the genre. Whilst it's not exactly ground breaking it does do what these two authors do well and presents the reader with a story that will entertain to while away the hours. All in a good bit of fun although I'm expecting a few twists along the way in further titles with the Saturday Matinee endings that will leave the reader clamouring for the next title in the series.

Hellhole
Hellhole by Brian Herbert (Paperback - 4 Aug 2011)