5.0 out of 5 stars Again, up to her usual standard

Published on 30 July 2011 by Jane Baker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Again, up to her usual standard, 25 Jun 2010
C. Grimmitt "Book lover" (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Once again MHC has written a attention grabbing book. In fact it arrived at 08.00am and I had finished by 8.00pm the next day and then had nothing to look forward to only jobs I had put on hold. I like the fact that there is no excessive descriptions of violence, no bad language etc., but plenty of suspense and thrills. Even if you guess who the villian is, it still makes you go on reading it to see how it all comes together at the end. I read a lot of book but MHC is the only writer whose books I eagerly await coming out in print.

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read (as always), 21 May 2010
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
What an absolulute treat reading a Mary Higgins Clark book is! I always know I'm in for a good read when I pick up the Queen of Suspenses books.

In this book, her latests (published last month), thirty-two year old Dr Monica Farrell is at the centre of a plot to keep her from what is rightfully hers. Although she doesn't know it (as her father was adopted as a baby and never knew his real family) she is heir to The Gannon Corporation, run by a quartet of greedy, cheating men who will stop at nothing to make sure Monica doesn't find out that the corporation belongs to her, including murder.

Monica, who is a Pediatrician at a Manhattan Hospital, recieves a tip that an elderly lady, Olivia Morrow, may have some information regarding her fathers birth family and agrees to meet her at her appartment. However, when she arrives the next day she is too late; Olivia is already dead. When several others also turn up dead, and Monica herself appears to be the next target, it's the old race against time to see who will triumph.

As with all her books, Higgins Clark, manages to entice you to keep turning those pages by way of short chapters and no uneccessary detail. There is, however, one thing that does bother me at the end which I can't really go into here as it may spoil the book for some people. It is something that is revealed in the letters at the end of the book and if anyone reads this and wants to discuss please do add a comment below as I would like to see if the same thing bothers you as it did me.

That said, this book still gets full marks from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top entertainment to keep you awake all night!, 17 May 2010
Mary Higgins Clark who has for years proved what an excellent storyteller she is, has once again produced a brilliant novel. Fast-paced, clever characterization and based on an extraordinary story.

Pediatrician Dr. Monica Farrell's father was adopted and has all through his life tried to find his real ancestors. That never happened, but now, two generations later, eighty three year old Olivia Morrow, failing in health and the last of her line, is faced with the choice of exposing a long-held family secret, or take it with her to her grave.

As always in matters of family and inheritance, it's all - or at least mostly - about money. People will go far in getting what they believe, or want to believe, is theirs, even murder.

The author keeps us on our toes to the very end. Short chapters. No unneccessary drawn out details cum explanations. To the point. Top entertainment to keep you awake all night.

Praise for Mary Higgins Clark!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dynasty and St. Catherine, 30 July 2011
Jane Baker "jan-bookcase" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Shadow of Your Smile (Paperback)
It's been sometime since I read a novel by MHC. I was always an avid fan of her thrilling plots. I had forgotten the number of characters she enmeshes in her novels and had to refer back several times to refresh my memory of where they fitted in to the story. The Gannons were not very interesting considering their central role, very flat characters, whilst Dr Monica and Olivia were rounded and developed. This is not her best work. Was the plot plausible? I think not. Why the title? - I'm still trying to work that one out. Worth a read but not life-changing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 May 2011
This review is from: The Shadow of Your Smile (Paperback)
Having enjoyed a number of this author's previous books, I found several of the main characters in this one bland and two-dimensional. The story never really engaged me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The shadow of your smile, 25 Aug 2010
Mrs. G. Bridgewood (U K) - See all my reviews
Loved it from start to finish bought a few more of Mary Clarks books and have loved the all up to now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great mystery from MHC, 18 Aug 2011
M. J. Docherty "Bibliomaniac" (Hebburn, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shadow of Your Smile (Paperback)
I don't know how she does it but MHC continually produces high quality, suspenseful mysteries which keep you turning the pages! The Shadow of your smile is an enjoyable thriller that I couldn't put down. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very exciting book, 11 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Shadow of Your Smile (Paperback)
This is a really excellent and exciting book. I read it in a day because I could not put it down until I finished!

5.0 out of 5 stars First class yet again., 19 April 2011
This review is from: The Shadow of Your Smile (Paperback)
Gripping from the start. Mary Higgins Clark hooks you on the first page. Taut, faced paced and the only bad thing is you finish reading it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shadow of Your Smile, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Shadow of Your Smile (Paperback)
Enjoy Mary Higgins Clark books, but this one, although enjoyable, takes a long time to get into the characters and their backgrounds.

Very quick service.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Shadow of Your Smile
The Shadow of Your Smile by Mary Higgins Clark (Paperback - 6 Jan 2011)