Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 May 2010
What an absolulute treat reading a Mary Higgins Clark book is! I always know I'm in for a good read when I pick up the Queen of Suspenses books.

In this book, her latests (published last month), thirty-two year old Dr Monica Farrell is at the centre of a plot to keep her from what is rightfully hers. Although she doesn't know it (as her father was adopted as a baby and never knew his real family) she is heir to The Gannon Corporation, run by a quartet of greedy, cheating men who will stop at nothing to make sure Monica doesn't find out that the corporation belongs to her, including murder.

Monica, who is a Pediatrician at a Manhattan Hospital, recieves a tip that an elderly lady, Olivia Morrow, may have some information regarding her fathers birth family and agrees to meet her at her appartment. However, when she arrives the next day she is too late; Olivia is already dead. When several others also turn up dead, and Monica herself appears to be the next target, it's the old race against time to see who will triumph.

As with all her books, Higgins Clark, manages to entice you to keep turning those pages by way of short chapters and no uneccessary detail. There is, however, one thing that does bother me at the end which I can't really go into here as it may spoil the book for some people. It is something that is revealed in the letters at the end of the book and if anyone reads this and wants to discuss please do add a comment below as I would like to see if the same thing bothers you as it did me.

That said, this book still gets full marks from me!
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2010
Once again MHC has written a attention grabbing book. In fact it arrived at 08.00am and I had finished by 8.00pm the next day and then had nothing to look forward to only jobs I had put on hold. I like the fact that there is no excessive descriptions of violence, no bad language etc., but plenty of suspense and thrills. Even if you guess who the villian is, it still makes you go on reading it to see how it all comes together at the end. I read a lot of book but MHC is the only writer whose books I eagerly await coming out in print.
on 17 May 2010
Mary Higgins Clark who has for years proved what an excellent storyteller she is, has once again produced a brilliant novel. Fast-paced, clever characterization and based on an extraordinary story.

Pediatrician Dr. Monica Farrell's father was adopted and has all through his life tried to find his real ancestors. That never happened, but now, two generations later, eighty three year old Olivia Morrow, failing in health and the last of her line, is faced with the choice of exposing a long-held family secret, or take it with her to her grave.

As always in matters of family and inheritance, it's all - or at least mostly - about money. People will go far in getting what they believe, or want to believe, is theirs, even murder.

The author keeps us on our toes to the very end. Short chapters. No unneccessary drawn out details cum explanations. To the point. Top entertainment to keep you awake all night.

Praise for Mary Higgins Clark!
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2011
It's been sometime since I read a novel by MHC. I was always an avid fan of her thrilling plots. I had forgotten the number of characters she enmeshes in her novels and had to refer back several times to refresh my memory of where they fitted in to the story. The Gannons were not very interesting considering their central role, very flat characters, whilst Dr Monica and Olivia were rounded and developed. This is not her best work. Was the plot plausible? I think not. Why the title? - I'm still trying to work that one out. Worth a read but not life-changing.
on 16 May 2011
Having enjoyed a number of this author's previous books, I found several of the main characters in this one bland and two-dimensional. The story never really engaged me.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 January 2011
Mary Higgins Clark was one of my favourite authors for years, her early novels were fantastic and even her recent ones are good but I have noticed over the last few years that she seems to write to the same formula with every outing thesedays. There is a slight variation in theme, this time it features a young woman whose father was adopted, trying to trace her ancestors, but basically the recent novels all have this 'sameness' about them.
Although I enjoyed this one I didn't think it was one of her better books, it was quite slow to get into, though the pace picked up as it went on.
This is a suspenseful thriller by the doyenne of the genre. Though somewhat formulaic, it, nonetheless, will keep the reader turning the pages, even though much of it is fairly predictable.

Two unlikely events converge to bring about the deaths of a number of people. The events seem to be quite divergent but are inextricably interwoven. One has to do with the beatification of a nun. The other involves a search by a pediatrician for her blood ancestors. At the heart of this all is a well-kept family secret and a great fortune that is being used for other than what it was intended.

Those who like light, suspenseful thrillers with a touch of romance should enjoy this one.
on 25 August 2010
Loved it from start to finish bought a few more of Mary Clarks books and have loved the all up to now.
on 18 August 2011
I don't know how she does it but MHC continually produces high quality, suspenseful mysteries which keep you turning the pages! The Shadow of your smile is an enjoyable thriller that I couldn't put down. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
on 14 February 2011
Enjoy Mary Higgins Clark books, but this one, although enjoyable, takes a long time to get into the characters and their backgrounds.

Very quick service.