Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 February 2013
Now, if I was about 20 or 30 years younger, I'd likely pick up a copy of Laura Emerson's book called 'Baby Names', just because. Just because I'd have babies on my mind and would enjoy hearing about some names that nobody else uses. This book is full of those, and is so sweetly presented. It's hard-covered, and chubby and my own daughters all oohed and aahed over it. Well, quite honestly, I did too.

My experience with baby names book is that they're dry and full of names everyone's heard of. Emerson's book has a section for princess names (always needed), and popular names in England/Wales and the US. She also added lengthy lists of beautiful Irish and Scottish names. What surprised me was the names that are growing in popularity. Some are very unusual, but that's half the fun, so to me this book is very much in a league of its own.

She included pronunciation for names that were a bit out of the ordinary, and that was a help. And she put in clever comments about names that were popular for their usage in modern books and movies. A nice touch.

This is a book I'll tuck away for my own children to browse through when 'the time comes.' I'm sure we'll wear it out, but until then, no hurries.

(i received this book free to review from Ryland Peters & Small)
on 7 February 2013
Choosing the perfect child's name is top of your list when pregnant. There are lots of baby books on the market but baby names by Laura Emerson is a really lovely version with beautiful photographs. It contains more than 3000 names along with their origin and meanings. This is a great little book and the photographs means it's also lovely to sit and look through! Definitely one to keep by the side of your bed when you need inspiration!
on 12 December 2013
This book is excellent more than 3000 names and meanings to choose from i.Its a handy little book just the right size yes I would recommend it
on 13 February 2015
It took me an hour and a quarter to go through all the names offered in the books and some didn't really provide meanings (e.g. Brie - a french cheese!)

There are some names I liked and hadn't considered but 3,000 names isn't actually as many as you think it's going to be!
on 24 September 2013
Bought this book to give me some ideas on baby names, nicely presented book, different from the others I have looked at that look more like a dictionary. Nice illustrations included.
on 8 May 2015
Plenty of names to choose from but lots of variations of the same name which I found disappointing. Would recommend if you like the more modern names
on 4 January 2015
Small and cute. Although the book doesn't have some traditional names. Still good to have some ideas and new parents make a list if suitable names.
on 5 December 2013
Not sure about how many of the names in here are actually real names. Lots of made up or celebrity style names. A bit disappointing really.
on 25 September 2013
There are some very random names in here and some obvious ones missing such as Nicola. I'm not particularly impressed.
on 23 November 2015
A cute little book with lots of names and meanings. Not bad for the price.