on 27 April 2012
This is the perfect book if you have a free afternoon or evening to curl up on the sofa and just enjoy - it feels like a treat to hold it and turn the pages! It's a substantial book, the pages are glossy and thick, and the large size shows off the stunning photos very well.

It is divided into chapters showing different types of farmhouse from traditional to modern styles that have ideas for how to make a farmhouse that is both funky and traditional. I was a bit worried before I bought this book that the houses would be very grand. I was pleased to see that the looks are achievable and comfortable rather than imposing and I'm looking forward to incorporating them in my house! There are some very beautiful homes in here. An inspiring book!
on 24 April 2012
I disagree with the last review and did not find it churning out at all The photographs were lovely and very atmospheric. However, I did not purchase the previous two books so cannot really compare. I would love to live in any one of these houses and have found the shots inspiring - I now dream of owning my own farmhouse. Just have to win the lottery.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in old farmhouses and interesting interiors - especially the Baroque home of Mark Brazier-Jones - another dream is being invited to a party in that fantastic dining hall - all very Baronial but stylish and relaxed at the same time - the chandeliers look enormous but work fantastically well to create what looks like a warm and welcoming yet grand and glamorous atmosphere.
on 26 March 2012
Great photography and well produced. Prefered other books from author, 'Perfect English' & 'Perfect English Cottage'! Had the feeling that 'Perfect English Farmhouse' is just taking advantage of the previous two books success and 'churning out another'! However this may be unfair, and do not be put off this book as you will enjoy all the interior photo's more as text a bit 'wooly' and not that informative or interesting in places, could be reading an interiors magazine!
on 18 November 2012
This book's predecessor - The Perfect English Cottage - was a real winner, mainly because it was adorned with many extremely fine photographs, which made it a joy to look at. This one, on tastefully restored farmhouses, hasn't the impact of the book on cottages and seems somehow colder, and while there are some good photos, there are rather too many that are shot into the light with the result that the eye is drawn to sun drenched windows rather than to the interiors. Moreover the quality of the paper seems to be not quite as good as in the earlier book. That said, there are many things to admire and the text, as always, is informative, though like the photos, perhaps a little cold.
on 17 January 2014
I have two other decor books by Ros Byam Shaw. I'm a great fan of hers. She writes for people who want to read about the homes that other people yearn to live in. She does it well. The book has pages and pages of great photographs and delves in the lives of people who live in farmhouses, but don't necessarily farm...it's all about how these people decorate their farmhouses, big or small. A great coffee table book!
on 12 June 2012
Another edition to her "Perfect Series" and Ros Byham Shaw certainly doesn't disappoint.Everything you've always imagined about an English Farmhouse is here with more besides and that is the real attraction of this book. One or two of the houses featured have been completely fashioned by some well to do designer in typical designer fashion but the real gems are the ones were the owners have lavished energy, enthusiasm and imagination into creating there dream abodes.My tip is to read this book more than once because everytime I read it I learn just a little bit more.My only small gripe is that it would be nice to have a floorplan of each house in order to gain a better appreciation of how all the rooms fit together.
on 15 October 2012
I almost didn't buy this book because of a previous reviewer's comment about it being formulaic and too similar to her other books. My goodness, I am so pleased that I chose to disregard such negativity. The fact of the matter is that this writer knows her stuff and manages to photograph and write about interiors that are so much more pleasing than the average captured in both books and magazines. She distills the essence of whatever style she is writing about and offers bullet points in how to achieve it. Formulaic? Well if it is, it's a winning one. It's a beautiful book; buy it and enjoy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 26 December 2013
I really enjoyed Perect Cottage and Perfect English, but I was a little disapponted with Perfect Farmhouse. It didn't quite live upto the Farmhouse images of my experience.
on 16 August 2013
Lovely book for getting good interior design tips especially if you live in an older property. Great for reference and if you are redecorating your house for good ideas.
on 26 February 2013
Wonderful book full of detailed pictures. Lots of ideas, great presentation of the different houses with lots of interesting historical facts.