on 7 June 2011
Overall I liked this book. I previously bought At Home With White by the same author and was quite disappointed. This book is an improvement, with more 'liveable' styling. The images are inspiring, but look too styled for my liking. This is a good addition to my interiors book collection, there is some cross over with shabby chic I think, but I've found dome great ideas inside. Anything that makes me want to get the sewing machine out, has inspired me enough to make the purchase worth it!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 February 2012
I wish this attractive book had the extra substance needed to merit 5 stars. I regularly walk past the shop owned by the authors. Once an old-fashioned ironmongers crammed with stuff like tarred string, it is now all painted white and each of the big double-sided windows flanking the entrance has about 3 objects in it - and this book. Open the pages and there is more of the same; sparse, light-flooded rooms (most of them rather huge) with a few neutral-toned objects set aginst white walls, undyed unbleached textiles, chunky tecture and "found objects". In other words, nothing we haven't seen before, just a whole book of it. It's all very, very nice, but it's not really new, it's not especially original, and it's not easy to copy in an ordinary home.

The text tells us nothing we haven't already read elsewhere, either. We are admonished "Celebrate the beauty of the imperfect and embrace the art of re-use . . ." Where have I heard that before? It is, of course, easier to celebrate the imperfect if your funds are lush enough for you to have the choice of the beautifully imperfect, rather than just the "it's what I can afford" imperfect, and the interiors featured here do rather reek of money. How vulgar to have gold taps and deep rugs when you could have acres of scrubbed boards and distressed vintage leather from a revered designer of the past.

You can imitate the look on a smaller, less affluent scale but it will never have the same impact, as these rooms gain their effect from the light bouncing around a large, mostly empty interior. Those of us who have a modest number of normal-size rooms need to fit more stuff in them (we don't have the luxury of vast cupboards either), and in the process the "look" is largely lost. Plus, it's all got to be kept immaculately clean, as every speck of dust, every grubby fingermark, will scream at you. If you've got the imagination needed to copy, you could read a magazine article featuring any one of these interiors and learn almost everything there is in here. On the other hand, if you've "done" the look and are afraid it looks a bit bare and unfinished, putting this book on your coffee table will reassure you and your visitors that it's all in the best possible taste.
88 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 May 2011
Definitely recommend. I love the pared back but comfy look the Scandinavians do so well - that mix of pale, chalky white, grey or blue which nods to French and Scandi, Shaker, New England or Prairie look. Also love the ideas for sparkly glass, candlesticks and everyday objects used decoratively.
on 30 June 2011
I love neutrals, pastels and whites and so I bought this book without realizing the main thrust of the book would be what I assume to be "shabby chic". I don't personally see the beauty in falling apart, worn, and old looking rooms and furnishings that look like they need a good clean and a paint job, but clearly some people do - and this is the book for them. The book is actually rather well put together, plenty of photographs and ideas - if this is your thing then I would recommend it (hence 3 stars), unfortunately not for me.
on 27 December 2012
I bought this book because I am looking for inspiration for my new home and love the simplicity of white and the clutter free look. This book is full of inspiration and ideas showing you how to get the look. It also has a very good resource section at the back. Besides being a useful and inspiring book it makes for a lovely "coffee table" book.
on 16 January 2013
I read a review of this book in a magazine and made a note to buy it for myself as we were renovating a house .It lived up to expectations and is very inspirational both with ideas for what to buy and how to revamp existing furniture and objects. Would recommend it to anyone with an interest in interiors.
on 14 October 2013
I'll keep it brief... I loved this book. The photographs are stunning and very inspirational to say the least.
Buy it - you won't be disappointed! :)
on 29 July 2013
I completely love this book. So fresh and the ideas and photography really help you become engrossed in the beauty of this book.
on 23 September 2012
the book is fantastic! i like so much. It was a gift for a person who is special for me and she loved it!!

on 22 September 2012
Love this book. It is a book that you can dip in and out of and each time see something new. Full of wonderfull and interesting ideas. Pictures are lovely and the write up easy to follow. The quality of the paper and print is excellent and the size of the book is just right. Highly recommend this book.