5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent and fulfilling read
Published on 5 May 2011 by M. Alison Heal

3.0 out of 5 stars modern vintage style
Unfortunately I was a little dissapointed with this book. I own and enjoy numerous home style books which I like to use to inspire my home decorating. I was really looking forward to receiving Modern Vintage Style and thought it may offer some helpful tips and pictorial ispiration - sadly it didn't live up to my expectations.
Although the text would be helpful to...
Published on 5 Oct. 2011 by jb

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent and fulfilling read, 5 May 2011
M. Alison Heal "Flossie" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
One of the great things about the Emily Chalmers/Ali Hanan writing team is that you get a lot more than pretty pictures. Whilst Debi Treloar's photos are wonderful, there are plenty of other pretty interior decorating books out there. What makes me choose books by these particular authors is the quality of research and the intelligent structure and content of the writing. You don't just swoon over the pictures, but you can also enjoy, appreciate and learn from the (beautifully set out) text. Modern vintage decorating style is delightfully variable and the book isn't a 'buy this and get the look' tome, but a source of inspiration to help you make the best of your own home and what you may already own.

It's good to note that the homes featured are very varied. Some I would live in, others are far too extreme or unattainable. But every one of them is both wonderful eye-candy and a useful source of ideas, intelligently explained in the text.

You could simply be aware that, given a lottery win, you would still prefer to keep the comfortable mish-mash of furniture you inherited and picked up from IKEA, rather than rushing out to the best in new or antique furniture stores. Or you may be a serious collector of vintage, wondering how to stop your pieces looking fusty and your rooms cluttered. In either case, Modern Vintage Style could be what you are already doing. Reading this book can help to clarify WHY some of what you do works so well, and give you plenty more ideas for how to build on pieces you already have.

3.0 out of 5 stars modern vintage style, 5 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
Although the text would be helpful to newcomers who wish to delve into vintage, the range of pictures are somewhat dissapointing. The book only uses pictures from 5 different houses to demonstrate vintage style and therefore you feel like you are just getting more of the same - on many occassions the pictues show the same rooms but simply from different angles.
Grumbles aside, I did enjoy looking through this book - I just wished I'd taken it out of the library rather than buying it as it doesn't offer enough inspiration to encourage me to dip back into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideas Galore, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
If you like to rummage through garage sales, flea markets, car booth sales and the like this book is for you. It will give you plenty of ideas of how to incorporate your finds into your interior style. Or, give you inspiration to GET an interior style. Whether your style is typically monochrome, colorful, country, 50s..beautiful pictures show you how your Ikea-sofa and that dresser from a yard sale may come together. Loved it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange rooms, text to make your eyes pop out., 14 Feb. 2012
Peasant (Deepest England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
I do not like this book. It was sent as a Christmas present with the promise "you'll love this, you're so into vintage". Oh dear. When you have your interior photographed by an expert and put in a book, that validates your taste; the very fact of publishing tells you "this is all right". But it isn't. Many of these interiors are profoundly ugly. Features which lack the expert designer touch include rough splintery wood on seats and a spiky metal lamp low on the wall over the pillows, which you will either scratch your scalp with or tangle your hair in. One of the houses shown looks atractive only because several hundred pounds worth of cut flowers perch on every surface.

The reason for this starts to become plain when we read the text. Don't worry about colour schemes, we're told; pick up your furniture anywhere from junk shops to IKEA and don't fret that it will clash; clashing colours and styles are always good. One paragraph reads, astonishingly,
"Everything is casually thrown together yet the relaxed mis-match of finishes and colours just seems so right. Simply embrace your home's ready-made quirks, like exposed brickwork, old wallpaper, peeling paint, ancient flagstones, and original tiles. For this is truly your home's vintage". Now, when I have picked myself up from the ROFL episode which this brings on, I reflect that this is not just pretentious tosh, it is in fact profoundly insulting to the reader. The book is full of this sort of thing, repeated again and again in slightly different phrases.

The rooms in this book which actually look good seem to be very clearly thought out with tight colourschemes and carefully chosen objects. However, that is no doubt an illusion and they are in fact just "thrown together". Meanwhile, to get into this vibe, I have vowed to embrace my home's ready-made quirks. The dripping tap, the condensation mould in the corner, the ever-increasing stack of beer bottles in the kitchen are, I now realise, not eyesores but "just seem right". If only I had recognised my home's true vintage in time and not foolishly got rid of those charming, quirky polystyrene ceiling tiles!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much as good as I hoped., 12 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
Plenty of nice ideas in this book though many of the pictures have been featured in recent home interiors magazines. The author has used about five houses as examples four of which are really nice. The fifth is a bit of a wreck and doesn't sit well alongside the others so is a bit odd as to why it is in the book. Anyway, am pleased with it overall and is a good price on amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice coffee table book, 1 July 2011
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
I like books about interior design, architecture and gardens. I was slightly disappointed with this one, or maybe I just feel indifferent. It didn't really inspire me and I think I've seen it all before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of inspiration, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
This book is full of great images and great ideas. One of the better books with original ideas to steal! Would recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Vintage Style, 28 May 2011
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
Not your usual interiors book, lots of ideas on every page, to suit most tastes too, classis, fun and whimsical. Great Book, lots of inspirational pictures to style your home by.

Modern Vintage Style
Modern Vintage Style by Emily Chalmers (Hardcover - 14 April 2011)