Format: HardcoverChange

on 15 September 2010
The recipes are great - just a shame that I'd baked them all before, when I bought their cookbook! The bun and muffin recipes are all the same as the original book, just without the biscuit, brownie and pie recipes... Don't buy this one thinking that the recipes are new, as they don't include a single new one... I had hoped that it was a book with new cakes and savouries, but I'm not sending it back - I am sure I can think of several friends who deserve this book for a present!
0Comment93 of 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2010
I bought this book with some reservations. Quite a lot of reviews said wrong measurements etc had been given, resulting in poor cakes. However, this appears to have been rectified. There is so much I have yet to try from this book...but I can't seem to get away from making the cupcakes!!! My children, family and work colleagues rave about them! The Lemon Cupcakes are absolutely to die for!!!! Not so keen on the Rocky Road...far too much chocolate in it for me...although the kids loved it ;-) I can't recommend this book enough...particularly for those who bake for school fairs. The Vanilla Cupcakes are ridiculously quick and easy to make and the frosting can be made in varying colours with a limitless variety of sprinkles etc!!!! JUST BUY IT!! :-D
0Comment40 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2010
This book is a great introduction into the world of baking cupcakes.With it's mouth watering photographs and tips for the frosting. I bought this for my daughter after she became a fan of the cupcakes from visiting the various outlets. The book is a great starting point from which to delve into baking. After making several batches of the "Black bottom cupcakes" I can say that they are an accurate interpretation. it is essential that the recipes are followed to the letter, as you will not get the same results. Followed correctly the recipes provide great results.
on 18 April 2011
If you are just starting out making cupcakes this is the book for you. It contains easy step recipes with simple decoration ideas. If you want something more fancy on top of your cupcake you wont find it in this book
on 17 October 2010
Great little book. Cakes are very tasty and frostings are even better. A definite must have for any cake lover!!
on 22 January 2012
I have baked 5 times from the book. All attempts produced tasty treats but not exactly the same as the bakery. Also, the book does not contain some of the internet tips.

Blueberry muffins. Best outcome yet. Batter was thick enough to support even distribution of blueberries throughout the muffins.

Spinach and cheese muffins. The dough turned out to be very stiff, and I made it without the spinach. The spinach-less muffins were delicious, especially served with pea and ham soup.

Cream cheese frosting. There was a tip online that states you must use full fat Philadelphia cheese. This was not mentioned in the book. Also, I find it sufficient to beat the frosting for 3-4 minutes after the cream cheese mixed with the buttered sugar, instead of "at least 5 minutes" as instructed. My signal is to beat it for 1 more minute after the mixture increased in volume. The recipe does require some suspension of disbelief in that the initial step calls for beating quite a large amount of sugar with butter, then add cream cheese. You should go ahead and follow those directions (effectively making buttered sugar first), instead of beating all 3 ingredients at the same time. Too much beating of the cream cheese begets a runny frosting.

Red velvet cupcakes. I tried this twice. The second attempt resulted in cakes that were much closer, but still not the same as the bakery. For the second attempt, I used the specified brands of cocoa powder (Green & Black, not mentioned in the book) and food coloring (Dr. Oetker, although only natural red was available in my local supermarket, and as the website warned, it resulted in cakes that were brownish red). Re: the cocoa powder, I read the label and it turned out to be "dutch-processed" while my other attempt involved "pure" cocoa powder. Seems to make sense for this change to have resulted in a big difference in flavor. Most US baking recipes requiring cocoa powder specifies it to be dutch processed. The process affects the pH of the cocoa powder itself, and of course the batter.

Green tea cupcake. Not sure if this recipe got a fair shake. I tried this recipe with "pure" not "dutch-processed" cocoa powder. Also I used real (nice) tealeaves instead of teabags, and soaked the leaves in milk for almost 24 hours. The resulting cupcake had very subtle tea flavor and fluffy texture. I will definitely try it properly on another occasion.
on 27 October 2011
It's a really small book, half of an A5 but it's so cute and lovely!
Nothing really bad about it, just it's size. Pictures are great, and the instructions are good.
Only today I made one of the cupcakes and it came out amazing! So they do taste nice.
good stuff.
VINE VOICEon 30 June 2011
I would recommend this to any keen baker. I have a lot of books on baking and have found most to be utterly useless when it comes to providing recipes that work. I understand from some of the reviews on this book that the measurements aren't right, etc. However, I have been using this for a while and can say that i have had no such problems - from the Carrot cake, to the red velvet. Everything i have ever tried came out just right. I have given this a 4 star as the cream cheese frosting comes out slightly runny.
on 16 October 2010
It is cute nice for a present but most of recipes are in bigger book
on 5 February 2013
Was so excited when I bought this book, but hated the recipes - I get better quicker results with my old-fashioned sponge cake recipe. Using a hand held mixer to combine the butter, flour and sugar just did not work and I ended up using my fingers and rubbing it in! Took soooo long. The only thing that I gained from this book is the cream cheese frosting. Most disapointed.