5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious photos - very useful for planning decorating
We've just used this book as a great way to narrow down our options for decorating our new flat. The photos are excellent and there is a comprehensive index - for each F&B colour in the book, each page it features on is listed.
Published on 12 Nov 2010 by Michelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Best paint card I ever read
Published 21 months ago by Peasant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious photos - very useful for planning decorating, 12 Nov 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Best paint card I ever read, 23 Mar 2013
Peasant (Deepest England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Farrow & Ball Living with Colour (Hardcover)
This book is blatantly "by" paint manufacturers Farrow and Ball, so I did expect it to be very much about their products. The series of articles on example houses was pleasant enough, and better and more enjoyably written than many in books which are ostensibly more "independent". Like another reviewer, I would have enjoyed the book a good deal more if it had featured more of the stronger colours, it is all rather a "whiter shade of pale". I do not feel this book gives a very good impression of what can be acheived with Farrow and Ball's paints, which do lend themselves to striking colour schemes which 'work' because the pigments are so subtle - schemes which if attempted in more modern paint shades would be irredeemably garish.

In the section on paints, there were a few useful tips on using colour to disguise your house's faults, and I did learn from them. However, I learnt a lot more from two vintage books which are better on the architectural use of colour, and on strong design. They are Kevin McCloud's The Techniques of Decorating (it doesn't come uo on product link but there are plenty of copies if you enter it into 'search', and the excellent if now rather 'mature' (the wheel of taste has turned full circle) Simple Country Style and How to Achieve it

5.0 out of 5 stars Living with Colour, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: Farrow & Ball Living with Colour (Hardcover)
Apart from being a lovely coffee table book it actually gets you thinking about colour . There are a wide variety of houses ,old new,large ,small basically something for everyone and not at all intimidating.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 14 Dec 2010
Mr. J. R. STEPHENS "BOOK WORM" (CAMBERLEY SURREY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farrow & Ball Living with Colour (Hardcover)
As ever Farrow & Ball have excelled themselves in showing how colour can be used to echo a persons character ; raise a beautiful room to one of excellence and yet simplicity , just by using certain shades and colours in different ways .All wonderfully brought together by the intelligent and scintilating writing of Ross Byam Shaw.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 May 2011
M. E. May "Emily from London" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farrow & Ball Living with Colour (Hardcover)
I'm decorating my new home and bought this book hoping it would give me guidance on how to use and choose colours. I thought it would have a section on what colours worked best with rooms that face North, South etc., and also some guidance as to what colours to use to create what moods etc. Well, i couldn't find anything in here along these lines at all. The book is layed out in a fashion where it's basically just a photo book with captions telling you what colours are what, and although the pictures are good and interesting, i'm sure you could find them on the Farrow and Ball website and save yourself a bit of money. Also, for a book entitled "Living with colour", the photos are of mainly very neurtrally painted rooms... off whites etc. Pretty but not really a helpful book for decorating. Thank god for Amazon's amazing returns policy!

5.0 out of 5 stars love this book, 4 Nov 2010
This review is from: Farrow & Ball Living with Colour (Hardcover)
This book is elegant and the houses pictured are styled in the way that I want my house to look like so it is a great inspiration. Lovely colour schemes and great ideas. Definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Living Colour, 21 Oct 2010
Mrs. A. A. Petts (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farrow & Ball Living with Colour (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a christmas present for a member of my family who is doing a design course. I compared it with a few other books, and it really is lovely. The book price in the shop was £30 so I came home to see if it was on Amazon and saved myself some money. I am quite tempted to keep it myself as apart from explaining all about the heritage colours and history of paint etc it also makes a nice coffee table book. I think personally it was well worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the colours, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Farrow & Ball Living with Colour (Hardcover)
This book has some nice interior photos, and those who like the F&B style won't be disappointed. It does read rather like an advertorial, so don't expect too much detailed technical colour advice.
Now here's the problem...the colour rendering in the photos is awful! Not sure if this is a printing error, or they actually deliberately adjusted the hues to make the photos more attractive. However, a quick comparison with the F&B colour chart, and you realise that the colours shown in the book bear no resemblance to the actual F&B colours. Since this is a book about colour, I find that very disappointing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's Paint!, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: Farrow & Ball Living with Colour (Hardcover)
This long awaited book took much longer than usual to arrive on my doorstep due to delivery problems, however once I did receive it, it proved well worth the wait! The book is a fabulous coffee table addition to my already expanding interior design collection. The photographs are beautiful, the text alongside the photographs are detailed, explaining the owners of the particular homes in question and the Farrow and Ball paints used on specific areas within the room, such as 'Lime white was used on the skirtings as well as the walls'. I found myself with my new book in the one hand and my farrow and ball paint swatch booklet in the other! I can't wait to order my farrow and ball paints! Anyone who loves really beautiful interiors will love this book, it's not only about paints but an exquisite interior book as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for F&B fans, 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: Farrow & Ball Living with Colour (Hardcover)
Just what I was waiting for - a guide to how to use all the lovely Farrow & Ball colours - alone, in conjunction with each other, to give both a period and contemporary look. The photos and descriptions are inspirational, but just as useful is the section on individual colour palattes. This gives a useful summary of the different characteristics of colour - usesful if you are trying to decide between the myriad shades of white on offer.

Overall, I am really pleased with this book and will refer to it time and time again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Farrow & Ball Living with Colour
Farrow & Ball Living with Colour by Ros Byam Shaw (Hardcover - 9 Sep 2010)