4.0 out of 5 stars Great Content, shame about the layout.
I came to this book straight after reading a beginners book about Web Design. So, I cannot speak as an expert, but I understood the book straight from the off.

It's based on the format of: Here's how we currently do it. Now here's how you should do it.

Published on 23 Jan. 2013 by Mr. L. Baker

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
This book is an easy read but it is marred by the fact that the many large illustrations are meaningless in back and white. In one case the author specifically chooses to illustrate colour styling which is totally pointless. I also found that one of the code examples did not work. I also thought it perverse to change an element so that it was a table element by using...
Published on 13 April 2013 by M. J. New

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Content, shame about the layout., 23 Jan. 2013
Mr. L. Baker (Cowes, Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3 (Paperback)

It shows you how to deconstruct a current fixed layout web page, and make it fluid. I'd rather the author started with a blank canvas. I can understand why the author has used this method, he is trying to change a mindset.

For current Web Designers this is probably the best approach. This book is not aimed at beginners anyway. All this aside, this book delivers the goods. The author is very experienced and delivers some very good tips. I particularly like the tip about using the CSS 'display:table' declarations to correct the horizontal navigation bar.

The book is very cutting edge introducing methods based wholly on CSS3 and HTML5, with plenty of examples of how to gracefully degrade your CSS3/HTML5 design for the older browser.

My one criticism is the layout and lack of colour. I'd rather the pages were larger, so code and examples were allowed to remain on the same page, where possible. You'd think for any book that has 'Design' in the title it would be laid out more professionally.

I would give this book a 5 star rating for its content alone, but I cannot whilst the book is in it's current format. Publisher take note.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for adapting an existing website, 9 July 2012
The starting point is that you know some HTML and CSS and that you currently have a website which looks ok on a desktop or laptop but you want to adapt it for phones and tablets. Well, that's me - and I suspect other self-employed, self-taught people who want to get up to date.
Like other reviewers I found that Ben Frain's writing style is user-friendly and that the chapters are easy to dip into if your time is limited.
Download the script files from the Packt website before you get started & the whole website development process becomes easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Responsive design, 24 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3 (Paperback)
I have read lots of books on responsive design and this has to be the best. It covers CSS3 and HTML5 succinctly and without conjecture or opinion. The author makes it enjoyable to work through the sections. A great introduction to the technologies for me, who has been working with HTML and CSS for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starting point for Responsive design, 1 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3 (Paperback)
I was set a challenge of learning responsive web design in a couple of weeks and found this a great book to get me started.
I have a good working knowledge of HTML and CSS but still have lots to learn. I got his book to work through rather then constantly searching the internet for tutorials on RWD and I'm glad I did.
It is written with a sense of humour, not only by someone who knows his stuff but also someone who cares about what he does. This makes it, for me anyway, easier to work through and easier to understand. I think to use this book to it's fullest you do need to have some knowledge of HTML and CSS or it may get abit confusing, and I certainly found the sections covering CSS3 really useful and fun and have got some new techniques to try out.
Some of the more technical aspects of the book did, admittedly, go over my head abit, but least I know they exist and once my skill base grows I'm sure they will make sense. But thats a good thing that they are there, cover all bases.
My only minor criticism was that although you can download the files to accompany the book it would have been beter, for someone like me anyway, if the files were made so that they can be worked on alongside the chapters. So instead of just seeing the code finished you could also have the basic code there to alter and adapt where needed. Also would have been nice if the images were in color.
Overall I would recommend this book to newbies to RWD, CSS3 and HTML5 but also to those who just want to brush up there knowledge and techniques.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 22 May 2012
The short:
I feel much more confident making bespoke sites now.

The longer:
I'm halfway through this book, and so far it's been one of the most useful, easy to read books I've ever bought. It starts by explaining how HTML5 & CSS3 are an improvement, along with best codes of practice coming from HTML 4 ect.

You build a responsive website starting from a fixed width site built in pixel measurements, gradually making the content responsive for todays devices. The only issue here is not all the code is written and sometimes it can seem like you are behind. However the book does assume you can already make sites using HTML & CSS. Therefor being able to rip/mimic content from the example site and input it yourself, without having everything slowly explained like a dummies book.

As a someone who usually dislikes reading books for long periods of time, it's quite easy to stop and start without forgetting where you are, making progression fast. This book is written very clearly in a friendly manner, like that brilliant tutor everyone in education. The only other negative point is it seems quite expensive for a book with no colour images, and the cover bends out of shape quite quickly. A good investment nevertheless, and will probably save you having to spend weeks going to various different website patching code together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3 (Paperback)
I love this book and extremely happy I bought it. I have a reasonable amount of HTML and CSS knowledge but still learnt a thing or two. However the only disappointment was the book, more or less, just shows you have to convert a standard HTML & CSS non-responsive website to a responsive website using HTML5 & CSS3. Cleaver but an example from scratch would have also been beneficial to the book. But having said that I would still give is 5 stars as it is very clear, concise and well thought out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, 19 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3 (Paperback)
I've been debating whether to buy this book for some months, due to trying to find the information myself on the web and the book reviews. I can say that I'm glad that I have bought this book because it gives you all the information you need for creating a responsive website.

The problem is that when searching on the web is that people have different ways and recommendations of creating a responsive website. So you start to follow one technique and then they don't cover all the areas or have too many conflicting ideas with other techniques. This is a problem when trying to search on the web! This book does contain everything you need to know from start to finish. Yes, the images are in black and white but that does not matter and some of the code is spread over a couple of pages. But this does not matter at all, the code is just an example. It's very easy to get the fundamentals and start straight away.

I would say that I am an advanced user of HTML and CSS so I did skim read the parts I already know, but did learn a lot from the book. I also use HTML5 boiler plate to start with with makes it even easier.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone that needs the answers to responsive design, HTML5 and CSS3.

Excellent job!

4.0 out of 5 stars Responsive Web Design with HTML5 and CSS3, 18 May 2012
This review is from: Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3 (Paperback)
I bought this book when it first came out. It is easy reading and well laid out, I would have preferred it if it was in colour as well as they do not supply any supporting files that you can download to actually see the look that they are describing.

Saying that, it does not detract from the details that are contained in the book and it is very easy to follow, but I would not recommend this book to a beginner to HTML and CSS as it may be confusing, as this book is not meant to teach beginners on how to use standard HTML and CSS scripting.

The only reason why I have given it a 4* rating and not a 5* is that it would be far better if the images were in colour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book and a great primer for emerging web technologies., 26 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3 (Paperback)
I'm in two minds about responsive design. I believe it certainly has its place, but I think the "mobile first" herd are barking up the wrong tree. I am far more happy with the notion of "tablet first", but this book is structured in such a way that it is simple to take just what I want out of it.

What you will get out of it is the following:

Good hands on intros to HTML5, CSS3 and the concept of responsive design.
Useful tips on using some of the more cutting edge techniques out there. I was especially interested in the sections dealing with image sizing.
Reproducable results.

This book is not steeped in theory, it is designed to show you how to get your hands dirty. I originally had the electronic version of this book, because I am tight. However, I liked it so much that I bought the hardcopy too. I can now read it in the tub without fear of damaging my tablet!

Before you get a whole library of books covering emerging trends, get this one. You may not need to get much else after it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book with relevant and up to date examples., 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3 (Paperback)
I'm primarily a PHP developer. However, I still need a strong knowledge of front-end languages such as HTML and CSS in order to output the HTML generated by PHP.

I've worked through the examples in this book and now feel much better equipped to do my job. The author demostrates deep knowlege and experience and this book will always stay close at hand on my desk to use a reference whenever I forget something. The author uses humour and movie references to present what can sometimes be a dry and frustrating area especially when working with Microsoft's early web browsers.

Other reviewers have quite rightly mentioned that the images used in the book are in black and white. I didn't find this a problem as I downloaded the example code from the packt website and followed along using the authors live demonstration site.

Thank you Ben, 5 stars from me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3
Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3 by Ben Frain (Paperback - 10 April 2012)