5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for adapting an existing website
The starting point is that you know some HTML and CSS and that you currently have a website which looks ok on a desktop or laptop but you want to adapt it for phones and tablets. Well, that's me - and I suspect other self-employed, self-taught people who want to get up to date.
Published on 9 July 2012 by Bob Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
This book is an easy read but it is marred by the fact that the many large illustrations are meaningless in back and white. In one case the author specifically chooses to illustrate colour styling which is totally pointless. I also found that one of the code examples did not work. I also thought it perverse to change an element so that it was a table element by using...
Published 15 months ago by M. J. New

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for adapting an existing website, 9 July 2012
Like other reviewers I found that Ben Frain's writing style is user-friendly and that the chapters are easy to dip into if your time is limited.
Download the script files from the Packt website before you get started & the whole website development process becomes easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Content, shame about the layout., 23 Jan 2013
Mr. L. Baker (Cowes, Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3 (Community Experience Distilled) (Paperback)
I came to this book straight after reading a beginners book about Web Design. So, I cannot speak as an expert, but I understood the book straight from the off.

It's based on the format of: Here's how we currently do it. Now here's how you should do it.

It shows you how to deconstruct a current fixed layout web page, and make it fluid. I'd rather the author started with a blank canvas. I can understand why the author has used this method, he is trying to change a mindset.

For current Web Designers this is probably the best approach. This book is not aimed at beginners anyway. All this aside, this book delivers the goods. The author is very experienced and delivers some very good tips. I particularly like the tip about using the CSS 'display:table' declarations to correct the horizontal navigation bar.

The book is very cutting edge introducing methods based wholly on CSS3 and HTML5, with plenty of examples of how to gracefully degrade your CSS3/HTML5 design for the older browser.

My one criticism is the layout and lack of colour. I'd rather the pages were larger, so code and examples were allowed to remain on the same page, where possible. You'd think for any book that has 'Design' in the title it would be laid out more professionally.

I would give this book a 5 star rating for its content alone, but I cannot whilst the book is in it's current format. Publisher take note.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Responsive design, 24 Jan 2013
I have read lots of books on responsive design and this has to be the best. It covers CSS3 and HTML5 succinctly and without conjecture or opinion. The author makes it enjoyable to work through the sections. A great introduction to the technologies for me, who has been working with HTML and CSS for years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 22 May 2012
The short:
I feel much more confident making bespoke sites now.

The longer:
I'm halfway through this book, and so far it's been one of the most useful, easy to read books I've ever bought. It starts by explaining how HTML5 & CSS3 are an improvement, along with best codes of practice coming from HTML 4 ect.

You build a responsive website starting from a fixed width site built in pixel measurements, gradually making the content responsive for todays devices. The only issue here is not all the code is written and sometimes it can seem like you are behind. However the book does assume you can already make sites using HTML & CSS. Therefor being able to rip/mimic content from the example site and input it yourself, without having everything slowly explained like a dummies book.

As a someone who usually dislikes reading books for long periods of time, it's quite easy to stop and start without forgetting where you are, making progression fast. This book is written very clearly in a friendly manner, like that brilliant tutor everyone in education. The only other negative point is it seems quite expensive for a book with no colour images, and the cover bends out of shape quite quickly. A good investment nevertheless, and will probably save you having to spend weeks going to various different website patching code together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 April 2014
I love this book and extremely happy I bought it. I have a reasonable amount of HTML and CSS knowledge but still learnt a thing or two. However the only disappointment was the book, more or less, just shows you have to convert a standard HTML & CSS non-responsive website to a responsive website using HTML5 & CSS3. Cleaver but an example from scratch would have also been beneficial to the book. But having said that I would still give is 5 stars as it is very clear, concise and well thought out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Responsive Web Design with HTML5 and CSS3, 18 May 2012
I bought this book when it first came out. It is easy reading and well laid out, I would have preferred it if it was in colour as well as they do not supply any supporting files that you can download to actually see the look that they are describing.

Saying that, it does not detract from the details that are contained in the book and it is very easy to follow, but I would not recommend this book to a beginner to HTML and CSS as it may be confusing, as this book is not meant to teach beginners on how to use standard HTML and CSS scripting.

The only reason why I have given it a 4* rating and not a 5* is that it would be far better if the images were in colour.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 21 May 2014
Good book this... really well written (very conversational style, very easy to digest and stick with)... rarely read a technical book and enjoyed it so much.

Good primer in the subject matter (no great depth of detail, but enough to give you a great foothold).

Immediately applicable to me - so am utterly happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 23 Nov 2013
Mr. M. Venn "maven" (UK) - See all my reviews
HTML5 is not yet set in stone but this book has got what is likely to become the standard well covered with clear examples.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, found it very readable and I understood it., 6 Nov 2013
Paul Brittain (bassins ch) - See all my reviews
I have been looking for a way of learning how the new responsive sites work. I needed to get some idea of the actual subject itself and so I chose this book as a starter. It has held me all the way through. I believe I have a better understanding of the concepts involved and I am eager to learn more

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, example-based walkthrough, 21 Aug 2013
C. Beamson (UK) - See all my reviews
About three quarters of the way to what I was looking for. Does what it says on the cover - responsive web design, using HTML5 and CSS3. After an opening chapter on the mindset of responsive design and some suggested testing tools, it then goes on to convert and add features to a basic site using responsive design ideas. The chapter headings break it down fairly clearly and for the purposes of redesigning a site on modern principles, it covers a lot.

The area perhaps lacking is in the semantic use of HTML5 - the coverage of various HTML5 structural elements is a bit light and you're designing, or redesigning a site, you may need some other resource for this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3 (Community Experience Distilled)
24.29