5.0 out of 5 stars True Woman and Writer
Published 11 months ago by Charlotte

3.0 out of 5 stars Maeve Binchy: The Biography
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Maeve Binchy: The Biography, 23 Dec 2013
Considering what a an amazing and interesting person Maeve Binchy was this biography was heavy going. I was interested to know about her life but disappointed that the details were not presented in a more humorous and livelier manner. Piers Dudgeon did not appear to know her and relied on friends of hers for facts about her life. A real picture of this wonderful writer never really emerged from the pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Woman and Writer, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Maeve Binchy: The Biography (Hardcover)
This is a very well researched biography which tells Maeve Binchy's story from the moment her family settled in Ireland to the day she died there in 2012, having become a household name all over the world. It is the story of a child who believed everything her family told her, as we all do, but who was SO believing that she suffered terribly when bit by bit she discovered lots of it was not true. Instead of going in on herself, she picked herself up one day and decided to take control and to believe only what in her heart she knew to be true (and what with her new confidence she now decided she could make come true). Determined not to worry any more about what other people thought she became vulnerable (especially to men), but it taught her so much about the emotional side of life and gave her the material with which she worked her way into our hearts to become one of the truest storytellers of modern times. Truth and honesty marked Maeve Binchy and her work, and this biography is a heartening and often humorous record of a woman who, while everyone else was living someone else's life, was determined to be her own person and live her own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going!, 30 Nov 2013
I was looking forward to reading this as I am a massive fan. However, whilst it was interesting,I have to agree with the previous comments - it was heavy going and there was definitely a sense of ploughing through it. I was left feeling it was a such a shame that Maeve had never written her autobiography.

3.0 out of 5 stars Insight into Maeve B, 14 Sep 2013
I am surprised by this biography. It brings out loads of information about Maeve that I didn't previously know, but it is a heavier read than I expected and I am finding it hard to concentrate. I am 20% through and it hasn't gripped me yet - but I hope it still will. I owe it to Maeve to keep going - but I do recommend reading ALL her books first as they are referred to in some detail, which the reader needs to be able to remember.

2.0 out of 5 stars Struggling with this, 26 Jan 2014
Ms. K. M. Kelleher "Simply books" (Bow, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
OK, I may be only a little way in, but it is far far from inspiring me to carry on. It is a hard slog. I feel rather like I'm reading a list of historical events. I LOVE Maeve Binchy's work, and rather stupidly anticipated that her biography would give we the same joy. It isn't. I had to give up and start reading something else.

I might try again at a later date. but I'm not drawn to it

4.0 out of 5 stars persevere - it gets really interesting after the first little bit!!!, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Maeve Binchy: The Biography (Hardcover)
I am half way through this book and I have to say it is not as good as I anticipated. Maybe it's because she hasn't written it!!! It gives a good insight into Maeve's ancestors but I got a bit bored by all the historical stuff! A bit clinical really - I thought it would have been more light-hearted like she was!! In saying that, I am still ploughing through it but just hope it gets better in the next half as she was such an iconic figure in the writing world in Ireland. It is written in a very male fashion - in my opinion anyway!!! Will write a review again when I finish the book!!

Hi I'm back - have just finished the book and have to say once you get through the first bit the rest of the book is great- really interesting and full of funny little anecdotes about the great lady!! I couldn't put it down!! so get in there everyone you will really enjoy it promise! am off to buy maeve times now has anyone read it yet??

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely insight into the writer behind the novels., 1 Mar 2014
I've enjoyed so many of Maeve Binchys books and Light a penny candle remains one of my all-time favourites. This look at her life and the characters she invented based on many of her friends and acquaintances made for an interesting read and I now want to go back and re-read her books. Would certainly recommend to any of her fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but lacks her warmth!, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Maeve Binchy: The Biography (Hardcover)
Just finished reading this book and agree with many of the reviews posted. Interesting at times but in the main it lacks the warmth and humour that are hall marks of her writing. Found the delivery quite heavy going at he start but it did get better and i learnt so much about my favourite author by the time the book ended. Sad that we won't have any new novels to devour, but this book will help give you a well rounded account of her life.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good biography, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Maeve Binchy: The Biography (Hardcover)
Have been a fan of Maeve Binchy for years and enjoyed reading about her early life and rise to fame. The book is a no nonsense bio and a good read. Maeve and her wit will be sadly missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Joy to read..., 5 Jun 2014
This book is just so interesting all about Maeve her life...family and friends . A good read , as are all Maeve's own books.

Maeve Binchy: The Biography
Maeve Binchy: The Biography by Piers Dudgeon (Hardcover - 2 Aug 2013)
16.00