4.0 out of 5 stars Very educational and shocking

3.0 out of 5 stars compelling analysis, but ultimately not persuasive
Published 21 months ago by Stephen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very educational and shocking, 3 Nov 2012
This is a great book which explains what on earth is going on in the world of politics in the West. I, like many others, am disillusioned with politicians and sometimes feel that there is no hope to fix the system. Carswell not only highlights all the issues, but also explains that politics really is changing due to pressure that citizens are applying by networking together and bypassing government entirely. This glimmer of hope made me happier! It is also very timely, it complements a fantastic documentary that I recently watched on YouTue called "97% owned - Director's Cut". This documentary in a nutshell is the first part of Carswell's book. I recommend watching that documentary as well as reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars What we need, 8 Nov 2012
D. White (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
This book provides us with the essential basis for a real change in political thinking.
If the thought of a free people with opinions frightens you, its not for you, but if you are willing to start again with a clean sheet then take heart there are others like you!.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Analysis, 11 Oct 2012
This review is from: The End of Politics and the Birth of iDemocracy (Paperback)
This is one of the most important, thought provoking books I have read in a long while. I thoroughly commend it to anyone trying to make sense of today's politics, and where western economies/polities might be headed in the coming years, particularly as regards the impact new technologies will increasingly have on reducing the resources available to fund the obese political systems evident in so many western governments today.

4.0 out of 5 stars The End of Politics and the Birth of iDemocracy Review, 12 Dec 2012
I'd say a good purchase, and I certainly enjoyed reading the book. It made me look at my view of government and democracy throughout the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tell it like it is., 3 Nov 2012
J. B. Awford - See all my reviews
An excellent analysis of where we are as a nation.
A much needed realist point of view that is so lacking in today's politics.
The solution will be a long time coming ,but it gives us hope'
Should be required reading for all politicians at national and local level,plus of course us poor punters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A timely and compelling read, 28 Oct 2012
I have reviewed "The End Of Politics..." at greater length on my own blogsite, hopefully accessible from here via my username, so I'll be brief with a few extracts from that review here.

The first seven chapters cover "The End". It is a fair portrayal of how and why our current political system is rotten to the core. The political class are portrayed as knowing full well what they are doing, probably only wanting to be sure they see their time out before the consequences of their actions catch up. It is perhaps not surprising that one commentator has already suggested that in days gone by, someone from within who exposed the true nature of how we are overtaxed, overregulated, overgoverned, badly governed and governed by the wrong people (EU bureaucrats, the opinion forming elite etc) would probably have been burned at the stake.

The second half, "The Birth", suggests that the digital revolution will render the Big Government model obsolete, as choice displaces top down prescription. "A cultural revolution is coming that will unseat the constructivist elite", it is suggested, where taxpayers decide to buy less prescribed government services, make more of their own decisions and keep more of their own money for this purpose, all aided by technology.

All in all, a very bold and challenging promotion of how the future government of the UK need not merely comprise management of decline. Provided that the current political class accepts that the days of Big Government are over. Will it? Is this a case of the irresistible force meeting the immoveable object?

Hopefully the author's conclusion, that our best days lie ahead and that we will be healthier, wealthier and happier in several generations' time after Big Government has been laid to rest, will be borne out without too much of a crash. In the meantime, a well deserved five stars for spelling it all out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some reality - from a politician, 21 May 2013
Douglas Carswell develops a good and coherent thesis within this book - a thoughtful and thought-provoking read.

i was at a meeting in the House of Commons where he was the key speaker, and he is just as feisty in real life. A pleasure to hear. This book has kept me entertained during commutes and is recommended. Support your local maverick! Or realist, as I would prefer to call him. Well done.

3.0 out of 5 stars compelling analysis, but ultimately not persuasive, 21 Oct 2012
I wanted to like this book. The author's diagnosis of the present state of the major democracies is gloomy and compelling, and surely right. But is he right that the system will break down under its own contradictions? I'm afraid he didn't persuade me. And his prescription, which involves a lot of individualisation by means of the internet, was also unpersuasive. There are an awful lot of people out there who don't use the internet in the constructive way that is here postulated. There are even people who never use it!

The book has other problems. The tone is very insistent, and I felt a bit ground down by all the short sentences and the assertiveness. There is also a good deal of repetition in such a comparatively short book. There is a good essay lurking here, but as a book it failed to convert me to the author's prognosis.

4.0 out of 5 stars A facinating insight into the digital revolution to come, 26 Oct 2012
Donna Edmunds - See all my reviews
This is one of the most thought provoking, fascinating books I've read in a long time. Indeed, it's the book I wish I'd written myself.

Carswell details how our current broken democracy evolved out of a system that had once transformed the western world. He brings new insight into what exactly caused things to go so wrong, and how the digital revolution that we are in the very early stages of might change things in years to come. To be sure, we're not there yet. The internet is becoming a part of our lives but has not yet transformed them entirely. But our children will grow up in a world in which the internet is an intregal part of everyday life. Politics will have to adapt to the internet as much as the publishing and music industries have already had to.

Much of the book is gloomy in it's analysis. But we are in a gloomy place. There are no easy answers to the debt mountain that western governments have built up. What is refreshing about this analysis is that it is utterly optimistic without being unrealistic.

My one criticism is that Carswell only sees the internet as a force for good. As we are already seeing, governments and individuals can also use it for ill, by spying on citizens or by spreading propaganda. But other than that omission, a thrilling read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 May 2014
Great book and spot on. Only why do we not see more of him given he is an mp. How does he sit there day after day listening to Dave continue the lies.
We need you douglas, if not you, who?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The End of Politics and the Birth of iDemocracy
The End of Politics and the Birth of iDemocracy by Douglas Carswell (Paperback - 2 Oct 2012)
10.39