4.0 out of 5 stars well written, fair, informative and timely book
A well written, fair, informative and timely book, franker than most politicians on either side of the debate. It leaves each reader to decide. I shall try to do the same, giving points first for one side, then the other:

Things 'Pro-EU' politicians do not tell us:

-It is now almost impossible to deny that for decades British politicians supporting...
Published 22 months ago by Legal Vampire

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and inconclusive
Some good ideas in this book but incoherent and inconclusive. A book of disjointed articles presenting some facts at great length.
Published 14 months ago by P. J. Taylor

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Roadmap to the inevitable, 27 Aug 2013
Very informative and essential reading to understand how we got where we are, and why (unfortunately?) any attempt to wrest powers back from Europe is doomed to fail. The author argues, convincingly in my opinion, that a 'Brexit' is pretty much inevitable but he does offer some reassurance that this would be not catastrophic for Britain, although it would not be easy or painless.

I don't know the author's politics and whether he is a natural euro sceptic or whether he came to the position through experience or evidence, but he does perhaps exhibit some scepticism about the Euro project.

After reading this I'm now quite convinced that Britain cannot remain in Europe, not for reasons of my own views, but for reasons of fact and EU law, plus of course the fact that Britain will inevitably vote "no" to stay in - if we are ever asked.

Read this and understand why! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A view of the future?, 17 July 2013
A well balanced book viewing how the EU has reacted to the UK as well as the UKs reaction to closer control by the unelected career Eurocrats who are shaping our future.
A must read for everyone intending to vote in the upcoming referendum, particularly those who have dogmatic views on either side of the debate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and informative book, 16 July 2013
I found this a very good read on the in's and outs of Britain leaving the EU and about the EU itself and where it is trying to head. Very balanced with lots of factual information and possible senarioes if we left, which I think we should by the way. There may be a bit pain along the way but David Charter has explained both sides of the argument very clearly. Well worth a read if you are unsure what the EU is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get out of Europe, 13 July 2013
B. Poonian - See all my reviews
Super little book to explain we don't have to stay in Europe, we can manage very well on our own & save millions.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Au Revoir, Europe: What If Britain Left The EU? (Paperback)
Very good book on the subject title.
Clearly explained, with arguments both for and against within the narrative.
Excellent perspectives on the difficulties in forging a 'Swiss or Norway-like' arrangment, together with a great chapter on the prospects of trade with the wider commonwealth nations.
Very recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Sep 2014
Shazzam "lecomteuk" (Tonbridge, Kent England) - See all my reviews
An interesting analysis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Perspective On The European Debate, 3 Feb 2013
I was really pleased to see a book on the UK and Europe. The writer is incredibly well placed and knowledgeble about this topic.
I felt that sometimes it concentrated too much on the background and history of Europe with an undue focus (my opinion) on the shortfalls - and while it is true there are many of these in Europe; very little time was spent on the positive impacts.
But for me the most disappointing were the last two chapters where David tries to summarise the in and out viewpoints, and finally in the last chapter- set in 2023 where he looks back on the "success" of our departure.

I feel that he has chosen to significantly underestimate the negative impact of our departure - the consequesnce on the thousands of European people who either work in the uk or the British who work in europe in a daily basis. how will that affect us - will they be allowed to stay here will we be able to work there how will it play out his is I think a relatively optimistic one, The Eurosceptics who read it will probably think the reverse so overall he has probably academically got the balance right

David alludes to the fact that the Europeans will let us have our cake and not only eat it but then sell it back to them but I think the impact will be much higher than he describes
The raw case of the Eurosceptics:

*We want fewer regulations for the City
*We want fewer laws protecting workers against long hours and other impositions
*We want to make it harder to extradite people who have been accused of crimes
is summed up in a recent blog post by "Blighty" on the economist web site -The paradox of Euroscepticism " and it is books like this and economist artcles that gives an indication that this discussion has a lot of ground to cover.
As a closing remark - I do not agree with the conclusion of the book. Unfortunately and there are very few reasoned articles on this subject , which will allow the rest of us,without the experience or the expertise, to try and understand the situation and the potential risks and benefits I look forward to be able to have a reasoned pragmatic debate based on facts and not emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for everyone before a referendum, 5 Feb 2014
I recommend everyone to read this book before a referendum. It's a bit heavy at times but does explain what is good, bad and ugly in Europe. It definitely helped me to make up my mind as to which way to vote - out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Sep 2014
Swift smooth transaction.

4.0 out of 5 stars EU yes or no?, 21 Jun 2013
A very good book, Full of facts - presumably they are correct? I am trying to learn more about the EU so that if we are faced with a referendum I can make up my own mind which way to vote rather than listening to the biased media. I have found it interesting there are many publications as to why we SHOULD leave the EU but there are very few supporting a YES we stay in vote. Is this because the Euro-sceptic's are right?

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Au Revoir, Europe: What If Britain Left The EU?
Au Revoir, Europe: What If Britain Left The EU? by David Charter (Paperback - 1 Dec 2012)
Used & New from: £25.00