4.0 out of 5 stars well written, fair, informative and timely book
A well written, fair, informative and timely book, franker than most politicians on either side of the debate. It leaves each reader to decide. I shall try to do the same, giving points first for one side, then the other:

Things 'Pro-EU' politicians do not tell us:

-It is now almost impossible to deny that for decades British politicians supporting...
Published 23 months ago by Legal Vampire

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and inconclusive
Some good ideas in this book but incoherent and inconclusive. A book of disjointed articles presenting some facts at great length.
Published 15 months ago by P. J. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Pro Europeans have no answer., 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Au Revoir, Europe: What If Britain Left The EU? (Paperback)
This is one of several books on the EU debacle. I am often accused of not reading the 'for debate' and in consequence being biased. After reading this book I have no need to look at both sides, since the 'for argument' is discussed here, Whilst I do not agree with the author's viewpoints in the last chapter (he tends to assume that Britain must rely on the EU in some form or another - at least that's how I read it) I would not hesitate in suggesting this book should be in every household in Britain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up yours Delors, 13 July 2013
A very interesting and informative book, some of it 'heavy going' but compulsive reading. My personal view is that The U.K were led to believe that we were entering just a common trading group with no frontiers, but the Treaty of Rome did state that the ultimate aim was a united federal Europe. Unfortunately Edward Heath didn't make this clear to the voters in 1973 ! If we leave we will still trade with the EU, albeit with many restrictions, but they will still need us and we them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Convincing. Get the debate going!, 4 Feb. 2013
I was looking for facts and opinions to support my tentative view on the EU and its direction. I found them in a well presented format. Both the pros and cons were laid out, leaving me to form my own conclusions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking, 17 May 2013
Most commentaries on the EU focus on its current impacts: the sceptics focussing on the negatives and the dwindling band of supporters on its positives.

This book goes well beyond that. It provides a factual summary of the pluses and minuses of membership, and then goes on to describe the mechanics of UK departure, and the likely consequences for our nation.

In so doing it provides a much-needed framework for making the decision to leave.

However the author does not pick up on the level of unrest in the other EU nations, other than noting that every nation that's been given a vote on the EU has voted against it.

I think that's a serious omission, since when the UK does leave, it will be negotiating with Continental politicians who are terrified of setting a precedent. Thus the negotiations are likely to be as bruising as the dishonest ones that preceded the UK's joining, and our representatives will have to fight as hard and dirty as their opponents. That's quite feasible, since the UK has a trade deficit with the rest of the EU and provides much of its finance. But it'll need a much more competent and honest group of UK leaders than we currently have.

Still, this book lays all the groundwork, and perhaps a later book might suggest how deploying professional hard cases as negotiators would do the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great independant view of our place in Europe/EU and how Brussels manipulates it !, 12 July 2014
Someone needs to write an independant review like this before a UK referendum but it needs to be much simpler.

I didn't realise we were the 2nd Net contributor, only Germany is larger.

I believed we were in for the market liberiislation/trade but we are are prevented from making our own UK trade deals with others by being in the EU.

It's very worrying the ammount of 'Federal' movement/direction/planning which is happening, in my view not in the UK interest.
we need to be in control of our own laws !
I also didn't realise how the EU manages to sidestep our Veto by calling it something else.

I am concerned as how BrEXIT (as he calls it) would effect me personally as I spend a lot of time in France (not working).
Personally there are small things which would effect me if wec pulled out, but not enough to give sovereignty up.

His first forecast didn't come true - the 2014 Euro election results- he didn't forecast UKIP doing well.
This may have a big impact on the future of UK and many other EU countries who all voted anti-EU parties, but they appear to take no notice in Brussels, grabbing more power and costing much more.

All together a fascinating view of the EU and our history with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for under 55's, 14 Feb. 2013
David Charter lays out the history of the Eu and Britain's involvement dispassionately; the benefits and disadvantages are examined.

On completing I was able to construct a score sheet to gauge my opinion.

Anyone, even those who voted in 1975, should read this when considering the possibility of a referendum.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 22 May 2014
Of course any author will tell you what they want to but it was good to get some analysis. After all of the sound bites and clichesat last real information. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding!!!, 3 Mar. 2014
A fascinating incite into Europe and it possible outcome of the UK's exit. An excellent and fascinating read. Worthy of 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book, 8 Nov. 2013
A very good book and well written but assumes a lot of background knowledge of the European Union. The EU is a vast subject and to enjoy this book you need quite a lot of background knowledge. It gives however a very good idea of the internal politics which drive the EU and the reader gets a good appreciation of the values which the EU likes to promote. Read this book when you have already read a few other books on the topic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 Sept. 2014
Thought provoking. Our politicians should read it !

Au Revoir, Europe: What If Britain Left The EU?
Au Revoir, Europe: What If Britain Left The EU? by David Charter (Paperback - 1 Dec. 2012)
Used & New from: £30.00