5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book - a great read!
The Hairy Hikers is a very funny book with some wonderful moments that had me laughing out loud. David Levay and his friend clearly have no idea what they are doing as they stumble across the Pyrennes. Full of many witty observations and reflections on life - I could not recommend this book more highly.
Published on 3 April 2012 by AndyF

2.0 out of 5 stars Should be re-named "The Hairy Hitchhikers"
Published 9 months ago by David Milton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book - a great read!, 3 April 2012
This review is from: The Hairy Hikers: A Coast-to-Coast Trek Along the French Pyrenees (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A book I read with a grin, 28 July 2014
David and his mate Rob decide to set out on the GR10 hiking trail to walk off their mid-life crisis by crossing the Pyrenees from Atlantic coast to Mediterranean coast.

It would be easy to lose interest in a book where every day the narrative was - got up, had breakfast, booted up, walked mountains, arrived at overnight gite, ate dinner, etc. but there is always a little something of interest or an amusing tale to keep this book a lively read. One of my favourite funnies was set in the dingy broom cupboard of the Internet café trying to find the @ sign on a French keyboard. Much of the humour comes from him being a self-confessed Mr Grumpy, an insomniac and a social numpty, who spent two months, day and night, in close proximity to his mate, often staying in shared gite accommodation with strangers. I would have found it very difficult and he did struggle at times, but it made a very funny read, especially his description of the orchestra of sleeping sounds from his travelling companion.

As you would expect from two blokes alone in the mountains, proudly growing their beards and turning a little feral, talk often turned to farts and with a spot of wild camping, pooing in the woods got a mention too. While some may find this distasteful it amused me no end. It was one of those books I read with a grin.

The writing gave me the impression they were a likable duo who had fun on their adventure, despite the pains and issues they faced, and came out the other side of their mountains appreciating not only what they had achieved, but also the things that are important in life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, interesting read, 23 Feb 2013
I was surprised, considering the small amount of training, how we'll they got around so painlessly but all power to them. It described their journey eloquently with the right amount of information on the places they travelled through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 18 Feb 2013
Books like this let me indulge in my little fantasies until I am able to act them out myself. I adore them for that reason; I've read accounts of walking and cycling from Land's End to John O'Groats and canal boating all over the country. I've read books about travelling from one coast of the USA to the other without spending a penny and camping around Germany. But I have to say this one is the best of the lot.

As other reviewers have said, the further into the book the more introspective David gets and it's fascinating to see what spending 7 ½ weeks with one other person does to your ways of thinking and coping mechanisms.

If you only read one book about GR routes, or even about walking or travelling then let it be this one. You will not be disappointed. David manages to slip in humour amongst the obvious hardships they face. He makes you want to be there walking beside them. He makes you (or me at least) Google GR routes to find out which one I want to traverse.

I wholly recommend this book, it's engaging and insightful and definitely takes you on an 850km journey!

My one criticism is that there are no photographs of the sights Dave and Rob saw on their journey, but all in all this really doesn't matter!

*****

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable!, 12 Feb 2013
Very well written. The author and his friend Rob came across as very likable people, and this was a very honest and amusing account of their trip from the Atlantic to the med across the Pyrenees.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 8 Jan 2013
Having hiked about half the GR10 I found the book quite enjoyable, brought back some memories and some anticipation towards the half I still need to do. Humourous, but don't expect a how-to book, it is a story, not a technical guide at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Le sanglier est dans la bouilloire, 10 April 2012
At last I'm going to forget "La plume de ma tante" and will from now on replace this in my memory bank with "Le sanglier est dans la bouilloire", courtesy of learning French the David Le Vay way. This is an excellent account of David and his friend Rob's journey across the Pyrenees via the GR10, the characters they meet and places they stay along the way. Wry humorous observations, mixed with the occasional more meaningful reflection, provide a very entertaining account of their hike across southern France. A highly enjoyable read that brings their 8 week experience to life, farts and all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should be re-named "The Hairy Hitchhikers", 18 Mar 2014
I was really enjoying reading this book(until). I can understand maybe taking a short cut here and there, but taking a ski lift, bus and a few thumbs up to hitch a ride in a car was beyond belief. No way can they say that they have hiked the GR10. To walk from the Atlantic through to the Mediterranean, means just that, not finding feeble excuses to miss part of the route out. In the end I didn't bother to finish the book, no doubt there were more instances of them cadging a lift. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing..., 3 Jan 2014
My husband bought me this book as we have done part of the GR10 and hope to complete it one day. I am a keen walker and I grew up in the foothills of the Pyrenees so I was looking forward to reading about someone else's experience of this beautiful part of the world. Unfortunately there is far too much focus on the walkers and their (rather tedious) day-to-day routines rather than on any detailed description of the scenery or rural France. It was a struggle to finish the book... and please spare us the information on bowel movements.

4.0 out of 5 stars The GR 10 the intelligent way., 24 Nov 2013
A painful but amusing account of the best long distance trail in Europe. The author conveyed the agony and the delights of the daily trek, warts and all!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›