5.0 out of 5 stars A runner's must-read
With my first marathon coming up in 2 weeks time (the London Marathon 2012) I had this book on pre-order when I saw it was coming out, hoping it would bring me inspiration!

Published on 7 April 2012 by Alison

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts well but then......
To use a marathon running metaphor, it starts at a cracking speed with the first few chapters breezing by. It settles into a steady pace half way through with enough to keep you interested but hits the wall several chapters before the end. Once you get past the first dozen marathons, it is difficult to keep the enthusiasm going.
Published 14 months ago by Skipdale Shaun

5.0 out of 5 stars A runner's must-read, 7 April 2012
Alison "runninggirlcycling" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Keep on Running: The Highs and Lows of a Marathon Addict (Paperback)

I've just finished reading it today and I think it is a great read for all marathon runners and aspiring marathon runners! I really enjoyed reading about the ups and downs of Phil Hewitt's 23 marathons around the world. He talks frankly about his awful marathons and inspirationally about his great ones. He really gives an insight into what can be experienced over 26.2 miles and before and after a marathon. There are some photographs on the inside front and back covers (8 in total) and I would have liked to have seen more, but it's not a big issue. He has been to a number of big city marathons but he's also done more unusual and smaller marathons which are really interesting to read about.

It's an easy and enjoyable read that I'm sure would appeal to all runners. If you're not already signed up to run a marathon then this book will make you want to, even after reading about Phil's worst experiences! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye-opener to a non-runner, 9 May 2012
If you'll excuse the pun, I "raced" through this book, I enjoyed it so much. I think the title truly sums it up - you feel the ecstasy of the author's highs and the pain and misery of his lows.

I particularly enjoyed the build up to each marathon, getting an understanding of the commitment that's required. It was also interesting to read how the runners aim for that all-important PB. And I didn't realise that the beginning of each marathon could be quite so messy!

Although more of an armchair athlete myself, it has encouraged me to look into taking up running. A recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired reading for any runner!, 29 Jan 2013
Mr. D. J. Angell-collins (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
After entering the London Marathon 2013 I was looking for a book that would give me some insight into a marathon runners life - after all they balance work,children, social lives and STILL manage to run a silly amount of miles!

This book gives you everything - the highs and the lows of marathon running. The tips and advice that is contained in it's pages are beyond priceless as it's all bundled into a great humorous read that will have you turning pages faster than you know!

I can honestly say that reading this book gave me everything I was looking for and more! The build up to each marathon and the race's themselves are given in good detail (but not too much!) which rapidly gives you that desire to grab your trainers and get out the door for a run.

Well recommended to anyone - even non-runners who just want a great read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts well but then......, 30 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A marathoner's page turner, 13 Jan 2013
This was such a well written, page turner of a book that it is an essential read for experienced and would be marathon runners alike. I have run 50 marathons and ultra marathons, home and abroad and the author captures the absolute essence of why we do it again and again. I have read as many running related books and this one is right up there for me. Phil brilliantly captures all the high's and low's, effortlessly weaving real life and all it's distraction's into the training and the race's.
Running a marathon is the end product of months of training, which often impacts negatively on family life and which takes a great deal of commitment. One of the reviewers above complained that the author mentioned his wife too much. I totally identified with Phil and why he did so. For those of us like him with a family, we need their help, support and to be honest, permission to race after race, to leave the house to go on training run's at all hours and to go abroad mostly without them to run around 26 plus miles of foreign ground. I so very much identified with everything that he went through, which was all down to just how well he links together all of the elements of what goes into marathon running.
This is much more than just a book about running although it's primary purpose of course is to share Phil's running experiences. The rather harsh review above just does not relate in anyway, shape of form to my reading of this book. It is so far off the mark, that even in objective term's I find it very difficult to connect it to this book. There is an effortless flow throughout, with the difficult times being as compelling as the good times. Any runner knows that there are days and races when we are on fire and days when we are not. The down days and run's are inevitable. It's how we deal with those, get back up and carry on that matter. I loved and totally identified with the roller coaster of races Phil went through and found it very inspiring to read all about the races, some of which we would have run at the same time although I have never met the author. I also identified with all his doubts, at times his lack of belief in his own ability and the high's when his goals are met.
Phil also weaves in interesting sub stories and his father in law in particular seems to be an amazing character who should write his own book. He builds up the tension with each race. The final chapters with all the details of his self doubt are compelling and had me racing through them to see what happens (I shan't give the story away!).
This isn't a text book on how to run a marathon. It doesn't try to get too geeky and provide step by step expert analysis on every type of training run you should do, the speed you should run, diet etc. If you want that, buy Runners World. What it does is give the reader a fantastic and inspiring insight into everything that goes into marathon training and running from lot's of different perspective's.
Perhaps the best compliment I can give to the author is this. I am a very experienced runner. I have run the races I mentioned above. I have run two hundred plus mile races in one go. In 2012, I ran every single day covering 2500 miles in the process and I am a coach my running club. Despite all of that, the book completely inspired me and having never written a review about a book in my life, it was good enough for me to write this. Given the number and extensive range of books I have read, that say's it all really.
This will appeal to novice and experienced runners alike. Don't hesitate. Buy it now.

2.0 out of 5 stars A book, then a race diary. Good going on to very dull., 13 Mar 2013
Mr. M. Sankey "Road Runner" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
I myself am a long-distance runner for my sins, and I'll gladly order away on any book with decent reviews on amazon, without really worrying about the content of the reviews.

This book started so promisingly, with the writer getting in to running from a non-sport background, developing and learning about his training, and working towards a race day. The quote 'split open a runner and you will find a solid core of stubbornness' was superb.

Sadly though, after he's prostituted his results, times and relative positions a few times, you rapidly tire of the format of the book.

The second half is more deserved to an online blog which no one will read - His performances are mixed, his preparation mixed, and his self congratulation while listing people he finished ahead of, along with quite anal percentages is quite frankly dull. He isn't setting the world on fire, and it's just quite boring really.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start but becomes repetitive, 13 Jun 2012
As a marathon runner I was interested in the book and enjoyed the first half of the book; however felt it got a little repetitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant motivation, 6 April 2012
This book is brilliant. I have never reviewed anything on Amazon before but felt this book was worth it. It will make you want to enter a marathon today. If you have one on the horizon, as I do (VLM 2012), then it will raise your excitement levels sky high.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring but...., 4 July 2013
A little self indulgent. Great end that really gets you thinking... could I do that?! Overall it was a good read, which truly brings to life that it takes a certain person to complete a marathon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good insight into the mind of a long distance runner, 23 Jun 2013
Very good insight into what motivates runners. Would have liked a bit more insight into diet, injury prevention advice and other geeky running stuff.

Keep on Running: The Highs and Lows of a Marathon Addict
Keep on Running: The Highs and Lows of a Marathon Addict by Phil Hewitt (Paperback - 2 April 2012)
6.29