5.0 out of 5 stars If you have to stay in bed for a number of days,
If you have to stay in bed for a number of days, you should read this book. This book is not just about going around all the tourist parts of England, Wales and Scotland, but also about his family life, the tears of joy and sadness, over a one-year period.
Published on 20 April 2012 by Neil Zeller

1.0 out of 5 stars Half a good book roughly welded onto half a not-so-good book
This odd book is like one of those second-hand car trade scams where the front half of one written-off car is welded onto the back half of another write-off. The good half deals with Hatch's father's sudden terminal illness, which arises during the son's road trip, the rollercoaster many of us have been on of good news followed by bad news, and Hatch's often searing...
Published 21 months ago by G. Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have to stay in bed for a number of days,, 20 April 2012
The way he writes you will come to know the family and you will feel that you known the family for a long time. I will not give the story away here but `be surprised the way I was'. By the end of the book, you will be sad that you have finished it. However, you will be very glad you did read the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars At least my Astra doesn't smell...., 30 Oct. 2011
Advertised intially as a travel guide, this book is much much more. It is a 'how to' of making a strong family, of caring for one another and of having fun. I loved the idea of getting away from it all for an adventure of all the adventures to be had in Britain. I also liked the idea someone else was doing it for me, as I know I couldn't have coped with the smelly car, smelly clothes and hotel living for that long. So thank you Ben Hatch, I have some ideas of where never to go, and where I must visit, and also of the best ways to bribe my children and how to make car journeys more enjoyable (my parents never let me sing with the windows open).

I laughed out loud many times reading this book. It has a real feel good factor to it. And it tugs at the heart strings too, prompting a good few tears from me on several occasions. Very funny, and really well written, the book was a really enjoyable to read and it almost felt a shame that the family, and all of us readers, had to come home and return to 'normal' life at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!!, 13 April 2012
This review is from: Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8000 Mile Car Journey Around Britain (Paperback)
Having loved the old classic 'Notes from a small Island' by Bill Bryson, this book appealed to me because of the similarity of travelling around the UK albeit this time in a car with 2 kids and the wife in tow, and not alone on public transport.
I was pleasantly surprised; Ben Hatch has a very easy way of writing and this made me warm to him and his family in a way that in other books I have trouble doing (I find it hard to enjoy a book if I don't identify with the main character).
This is not only a story about the trials and tribulations of UK travel with small children (hotels, traffic jams, bad customer service, hospitals etc) as Hatch is very open in his descriptions of his inner feelings about the journey, his childhood, his relationship and most importantly the ill health of his beloved Father (I do admit to shedding a few tears). On the flip side some of the descriptions of Hatch's ill fated trip to hospital also had me in stitches!!
This is definitely worth a read, male/female, traveller or not and I guarantee you will enjoy it - I just hope the Hatch family feel they can cope with another long journey so I can read about it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh I've been there, 9 Nov. 2011
The joy of this book!
Places I've been to (or indeed lived in) and therefore so familiar.
A really funny travel guide that has parents everywhere nodding in agreement or cringing with familiarity!
But this is made more real by the tale of grief bought about by the sad death of the author's father and is passionate writing about the love he has within his family.
A real 5 star for me and I rarely read non-fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: A bed shaking with laughter, 19 Oct. 2011
I laughed so much reading this that my husband threatened to abandon the marital bed which he claimed was shaking 'annoyingly'. It's a great read. I felt less alone with every page as Hatch writes with honesty and generosity about the frustrations of life with young children after he and his wife decided to intensify the experience x 8,000 miles in a small car.

It's not just laughs. Hatch writes movingly about his father's illness, which casts a dark edge around the frothy madness of (his) family odyssey. He also traces his own route through the years to his current incarnation as a novelist and travel writer.

For me the book is ultimately about that; that under-discussed rite of passage which is coming to terms with life as an adult. But it's really funny. Honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sets back the cause of dental hygiene by 30 years..., 25 April 2012
I bought this as a present for my wife, but after spending ages looking over her shoulder every time she laughed out loud at what she was reading, she let me have it first. And I'm glad she did. The Hatch family are hilarious, and all too recognisable for anyone with kids. But it's not cutesy 'kids do the funniest things' funny, it's proper real family life funny. And with the laughs there's sadness too. It's the emotional weight this brings though that keeps you thinking about the book when you're not reading it...

As for the title of this review -- once you've finished laughing and squirming over the toothbrush incident, you might think twice before putting one in your mouth ever again. Despite that, I can't recommend this enough. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars If Bill Bryson met Blake Morrison...? Not just a travel book., 8 May 2012
This book is marketed as a light-hearted travelogue;foolhardy couple and their troublesome, yet essentially endearing, toddlers embark on disastrous jaunt around the UK in a frankly embarrassing vehicle. It was with thus with no greater expectations than to escape into the pleasurable schadenfreude experienced by someone who would never be that bloody stupid that I began reading. The book far exceeded my expectations; moving me to tears as well as to laughter. Hatch weaves into his Bryson-esque account of he and his family's zigzagging UK tour a heartfelt and extremely moving account of his father's illness and decline and the consequent self-interrogation and examination of family dynamics more often associated with Morrison genre-bending style.I could labour the point about metaphorical and literal journeys, but I won't. Buy it, read it, savour it; you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, couldnt put it down!, 15 Aug. 2011
Had this book recommended to me while on holiday, and turning 19 years old I wasn't sure that I would actually enjoy this kind of book. But it turned out to be brill. I read about 1 or 2 books a year, taking multiple weeks to finish them but got so gripped that I didn't put it down, i finished it in 3 days. It well structured, funny and upsetting and think ANYONE can enjoy and relate to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, a really good read., 13 May 2015
J. Lamboll (England) - See all my reviews
This book was hysterical, sometimes it made me cry, sometimes Ben Hatch just made me plain cross! The enjoyment came from this book for me because I have two children and as a family we too have embarked on family travels and adventures, so I had empathy for Mrs Hatch at all times. It is the sort of book that I could happily pick up and read again without getting bored because I know what's going to happen. Buy it, it's a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic read, life, love, laughter, poop and a Vauxhall Astra...., 8 Oct. 2011
Mrs. R. L. Dove (wakefield) - See all my reviews
I was lucky enough to be sent this book for review, and to be honest I was a little scared at the prospect. My geography is horrendous, I have never been to London (I am 30!) and I worried I would not understand references in the book.

This book reads like a comedy of family life, a memoir and a travel guide, all wrapped into one attractive striking red cover. I could not put this book down. I myself have 2 under 4's and own a Vauxhall Astra! Ha ha. I laughed out loud at the wonderful antics of the children, Phoebe and Charlie. They are intelligent, willful, adorable, frustrating and heart warming all in one, which is exactly what a child should be.

I laughed out loud at the poo incidents, 'stinky' car (mine is a Health Hazard waiting for NASA to investigate at present) and the general normal, funny aspects of this wonderful family as they travelled 8000 miles, making a guide book for Frommers.

Throughout the book, author Ben Hatch weaves into these lighthearted antics and frustrating, tiring days, a story about his family. His mum's death, his sometimes strained relationship with his father, his marriage issues, and his famous father's battle with cancer. When Ben talks about being scared that soon no-one will be 'above him' to see him through life, I cried. Lots. His candidness and laying out of himself, warts and all, endears him to your heart. Dinah, his wife, is also a strong character in the book, his partner in crime, and her tortoise phobia is so funny I again cried, tears of laughter this time.

I won't ruin the ending for you, but I read this book, devoured it, and am now reading it again. This book has it all, it's the kind of book that stays with you afterwards. I literally wanted to force people to sit down, screaming at them, 'read this book, you HAVE TO!'

I wanted to adopt the whole family after reading it, as I am sure you will too..but I warn you, I have first dibs...and I do a mean cheese on toast.....This book is currently on offer for Kindle at less than a pound, blink and you will miss it, and you will be missing out....

Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8000 Mile Car Journey Around Britain