5.0 out of 5 stars A really uplifting read, plus some fab recipes!
Published on 9 Aug. 2011 by awendybird

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy going read
Published on 22 Mar. 2013 by puffpuff

5.0 out of 5 stars A really uplifting read, plus some fab recipes!, 9 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Lunch In Paris: A Delicious Love Story, with Recipes (Paperback)
I was bought this book as a present, as I have a bit of an obsession with all things Paris. I loved the beautiful cover and the premise, but wasn't sure if I'd enjoy the book because I can't cook to save my life - however I was instantly proven wrong as Elizabeth Bard explains her recipes so eloquently and simply that I actually managed to cook a very successful 'Pasta A La Gwendal', much to the delight of my family, and may just have been transformed into a culinary goddess.

The story itself is as wonderful as the title suggests - funny, romantic, and actually pretty uplifting, and for once, unlike other French travelogues that I've read, I really liked the characters. Let's just say it's made me fall even more in love with Paris than I already was!

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy going read, 22 Mar. 2013
puffpuff (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I mostly enjoyed this book - as a holiday read it was fine, but it's pretty gentle, it sort of ambles along without too much happening. I got bored in the middle and thought it was too slow but I persevered because there were some quite enjoyable elements: the growth of the character as she spends longer in France, occasional insights into the relationship with her deceased father - not cloying at all - and the presentation of the recipes and insights into French life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 31 Aug. 2011
I wasn't expecting much from this book when it was first passed on to me, but the first chapter got me completely hooked. Bard's keen observance of the French and their quirks were funny, charming, and spot-on. Her struggles to integrate as an expat are heartfelt and she finds solace in the universal language of great food. The recipes at the end of each chapter are perfect - delicious and simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food, love and a new life in Paris, 31 Dec. 2014
This memoir is a delicious look at life in Paris, seen through the eyes of Elizabeth, an American, who falls for Paris as well as a Frenchman.

Elizabeth sets a lovely scene as she takes us through the special times spent around the dining table learning the French way, from simple daily lunches to large family get togethers. She shares her daily visits to her local market and if you have seen the film Notting Hill (and if you haven't you should) you may remember when the lady walks down the market and the seasons change around her. I love that film and I could visualise Elizabeth doing the same in her little corner of Paris.

As her life in Paris develops, she adds her own family food to her French dining table and includes her French family in her Jewish celebrations, often giving them a French twist. This book includes some of her favourite recipes and I have marked out some that I will be giving a go, although none of them seem too complicated. Although food is important, this book is also about language, love and making a life for yourself in a new country.

At the end of the book Elizabeth offers a reading list and I will certainly be looking up some of her suggestions as if there is one thing I love it is reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars A yummy book, & you don't have to be a cook to appreciate it!, 10 Jun. 2014
I love this book, all the reviews say it is charming, & so it is! The story of an American journalist who moves to Paris to be with her tap dancing French boyfriend, it is funny, sweet & very entertaining. It introduces us to the ups & downs of living in France, & has lovely, mouth watering recipes. I'm, sadly, not good in the kitchen, but these recipes made me want to rush out, buy fresh ingredients & cook!
(Hasn't happened yet, but I can dream!)
At the end of the book, Elizabeth reveals that they are now living in Provence, so I hope we get a follow up book about life in the South of France too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious indeed, 4 Mar. 2015
As a person who loves reading expat blogs, I really enjoed reading this delicious book. It was a sweet story lined with 2-3 recipes at the end of every chapter. Since I'm a vegetarian, most of her recipes are useless for me but I loved the way she's portrayed the Parisian life.

Personally I think she's very lucky to have had this life and I'm very envious of her address. You can relate it very well, if you've married into a different culture and you find quite a few things endearing & frustrating at the same time. All in all, I quite happy for a relaxing tour through the cafes and markets.

5.0 out of 5 stars This IS a delicious love story!, 17 Jun. 2012
Reading this could make anyone want to live in Paris! I picture Gwendal as a Raymond Blanc look alike and how delicious is that! Their story is just so lovely and romantic but not without its problems which does bring you down to reality. What is real is their love for good food and romance. There are such yummy recipes too! If you want to know more about living a good life in Paris and getting to know the author and her lovely husband, read this. You willnot be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars A foodie story book, 19 Feb. 2015
I buy cook books to read, not to follow recipes, so a foodie story appealed.
A New York girl with a Frenchman and their life in Paris, cultural clashes, misunderstandings, Parisian attitude, and lots and lots of food. Street market for each day of the week, cafes, restaurants and home cooking.
I think this book is a breath of fresh air, I enjoyed it. Though I will admit it took me a little time to get into it's 'rhythm'.
Foodies this is a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 24 July 2014
This is a beautifully seductive story of running away to Paris and indulging - complete with recipes! I was hooked from the first chapter and cannot wait to try out the dishes included. It is not a taxing read, but it is heart warming and, in my opinion, much less contrived than books such as Eat, Pray, Love.

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable quick read, 27 Jan. 2014
The recipes were not much beyond what I've read before, better reading in Julie and Julia. The story was sweet if a little light on substance. It does inspire wanderlust however!

Lunch In Paris: A Delicious Love Story, with Recipes
Lunch In Paris: A Delicious Love Story, with Recipes by Elizabeth Bard (Paperback - 4 July 2011)