5.0 out of 5 stars A really uplifting read, plus some fab recipes!
Published on 9 Aug 2011 by awendybird

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy going read
Published 17 months ago by puffpuff

5.0 out of 5 stars A really uplifting read, plus some fab recipes!, 9 Aug 2011
This review is from: Lunch In Paris: A Delicious Love Story, with Recipes (Paperback)
I was bought this book as a present, as I have a bit of an obsession with all things Paris. I loved the beautiful cover and the premise, but wasn't sure if I'd enjoy the book because I can't cook to save my life - however I was instantly proven wrong as Elizabeth Bard explains her recipes so eloquently and simply that I actually managed to cook a very successful 'Pasta A La Gwendal', much to the delight of my family, and may just have been transformed into a culinary goddess.

The story itself is as wonderful as the title suggests - funny, romantic, and actually pretty uplifting, and for once, unlike other French travelogues that I've read, I really liked the characters. Let's just say it's made me fall even more in love with Paris than I already was!

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy going read, 22 Mar 2013
puffpuff (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I mostly enjoyed this book - as a holiday read it was fine, but it's pretty gentle, it sort of ambles along without too much happening. I got bored in the middle and thought it was too slow but I persevered because there were some quite enjoyable elements: the growth of the character as she spends longer in France, occasional insights into the relationship with her deceased father - not cloying at all - and the presentation of the recipes and insights into French life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 31 Aug 2011
I wasn't expecting much from this book when it was first passed on to me, but the first chapter got me completely hooked. Bard's keen observance of the French and their quirks were funny, charming, and spot-on. Her struggles to integrate as an expat are heartfelt and she finds solace in the universal language of great food. The recipes at the end of each chapter are perfect - delicious and simple.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 24 July 2014
This is a beautifully seductive story of running away to Paris and indulging - complete with recipes! I was hooked from the first chapter and cannot wait to try out the dishes included. It is not a taxing read, but it is heart warming and, in my opinion, much less contrived than books such as Eat, Pray, Love.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after good reviews, 13 May 2012
B. Gibb "BG" (Wiltshire England) - See all my reviews
A very average book with rather ordinary recipes. As a real life story it's rather commonplace. Would not recommend as there are other more interesting books about life in Paris.

5.0 out of 5 stars A yummy book, & you don't have to be a cook to appreciate it!, 10 Jun 2014
I love this book, all the reviews say it is charming, & so it is! The story of an American journalist who moves to Paris to be with her tap dancing French boyfriend, it is funny, sweet & very entertaining. It introduces us to the ups & downs of living in France, & has lovely, mouth watering recipes. I'm, sadly, not good in the kitchen, but these recipes made me want to rush out, buy fresh ingredients & cook!
(Hasn't happened yet, but I can dream!)
At the end of the book, Elizabeth reveals that they are now living in Provence, so I hope we get a follow up book about life in the South of France too.

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable quick read, 27 Jan 2014
The recipes were not much beyond what I've read before, better reading in Julie and Julia. The story was sweet if a little light on substance. It does inspire wanderlust however!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sheer delight! Insightful, clever and funny., 22 Jan 2014
What a delightful cultural insight and a delicious journey of love and food...a joy to read, so sad to finish...

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I want "Lunch in Paris", 6 Mar 2013
This book is a true masterpiece. I couldn't help relating with the author and feeling as though the book was written for me. The recipes are marvellous and I plan on trying every one. I recommend this book to anyone who has a passion for life, food, travel and adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read but don't be fooled by the title, 18 Feb 2013
I really enjoyed this book but almost didn't buy it as I got the impression from the title and blurb that it was some sort of clichéd romance. On the spur of the moment I decided to buy it anyway and downloaded it onto my Kindle. It's actually much more compelling than some fluffy love story. It's an autobiographical account of the American author's decision to move to Paris, the quirks of the French and life in Paris and her adjustment to living there. Yes, part of this is meeting and marrying a Frenchman but that isn't the main focus of the book. There is much more about how Parisians live, which is still very different to British or American ways, often told through the perspective of the amazing food available in Paris (with accompanying recipes), and what it is like to move there as a foreigner. I am probably biased as my husband's job has just moved to Paris and I am now experiencing at first hand a lot of what the author discovered. I too am a bit of a foodie, and I knew that I was on the same wavelength as the author when she describes how she walks past several bakers in search the best croissant. Me too - but then In Paris there are bakers on every street corner. The book is intelligently written, is almost philosophical in parts such as considering the author's switch from go-getting American career girl to contented wife, and spot on in from my early experience about the very different French approach to work and their guiding life philosophy. In summary, an excellent book about life in Paris and French attitudes but not one to buy if you are after a chick lit romance.

Lunch In Paris: A Delicious Love Story, with Recipes
Lunch In Paris: A Delicious Love Story, with Recipes by Elizabeth Bard (Paperback - 4 July 2011)
6.99