5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! You must read this hilarious and touching book.
Published on 26 Jun 2000 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant, but not overly exciting
Published on 13 Jan 2012 by Nicola F (Nic)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! You must read this hilarious and touching book., 26 Jun 2000
This is a really warm book (no pun intended) and a departure from my normal reading menu (mostly sf/cult) so I was pleasantly surprised. I read it whilst on holiday in Spain and I couldn't have felt closer to the wonderfully human 'Señor' Peter, Ellie and all of the other characters that drop in on the way. Peter Kerr has done a fine job to mix dreamy descriptions of the *real* Mallorcan sensations alongside hilarious accounts of some of the incidents that befel him and his family.... I wont give anything away, but I found it difficult to put this down and read it in about three sittings. Suffice to say that you get a real feel - warts and all - for rural life on a mediterranean island, brought to life between your ears by the flowing prose.
Read it and see Mallorca in a new light. You never know, you may well end up feeling a little *tranquilo* yourself. My only criticism would be that I'd like to continue the journey and find out how things worked-out beyond the first winter. Lets hope there will be a follow-up - excellent stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming ex-pat adventures, 1 Nov 2001
By A Customer
Peter Kerr has a countryman's way with a story and a delightful eye for detail. Having been an ex-pat myself in Scotland, I know just how outlandish the natives can seem sometimes and the preposterous situations that really can occur. Unlike Peter Mayle's stories of Provence, the characters are described with warmth rather than condescension, and while Kerr's stories lack the lyrical poetry of Frances Mayes' tales of Tuscany, they have the cadence of fireside yarns, gentle, familiar and amusing.
A pleasant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A big Thumbs Up!, 5 Mar 2002
By A Customer
Having recently read lots of "uprooting and starting afresh in sunnier parts of the world" books, I was interested to see how this compared to "Driving over lemons" (another fun read) and Im pleased to say that I was not disappointed. Peter Kerr transported me to sunny Spain and enthralled me with his impressions of a new country, its people and its customs. Every experience was described so vividly, I felt like I was there too, basking in the sunshine, meeting the locals and enjoying the exotic food. I chuckled throughout and laughed out loud on many occasions (on the tube on the way home - much to my embarressment) and was disappointed that it ended so soon. I have to say, it was unputdownable. I really loved this book and am anxiously waiting for a sequel. Thank you Peter for a great read! Keep em coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Even better if read whilst on holiday in Mallorca, 23 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I really enjoyed reading Snowball Oranges. I read it whilst on holiday in Mallorca and drove everyone mad saying "you know that book I'm reading....... There were many references that I was able to impress all around with. Such as what to order in restaurants (the pork and cabbage was delicious) and how to order chicken properly! I'm sure my "Pa amb oli" didnt taste quite as delicious as the one described in the book.
It was written in a very informal style which was easy to read and made it very easy to relate to the circumsances being described. Each new character that the family encountered was described to a tee and you could easily cunjour up in your own mind the "tranquilo" farmer from the next "finca" leaning on the gate post providing the benefit of his wisdom whether it was required or not!
The adding of a spanish word at regular intervals provided a very "spanish" or should I say "Mallorcan" atmosphere.
I certainly became far more "tranquilo" by the end of my holiday in Mallorca and I am sure this was assisted by reading an extremely enjoyable and humorous personal account by Peter Kerr. I am looking forward to reading Manana Manana and have it on my birthday present list!

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me giggling like a schoolboy, 7 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This is one of the funniest books I've read in a long time. The exploits of Peter Kerr and his family are enough to put a smile on anyones face. Read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant, but not overly exciting, 13 Jan 2012
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I enjoy reading travel books when the British weather is cold and miserable and `Snowball Oranges' seemed like the perfect read for transporting me to the Med. On the face of it, it seemed to have likeable enough characters and the writing was decent- but it just took me ages to get through- at least 3 days. I'm a fast reader and usually would have finished this in around three or four hours, but I had to keep picking it up and putting it down again when I found my attention wandering. Unfortunately I never became fully immersed in Peter and Ellie's story which was a real shame.

The book follows Scotsman Peter, his wife Ellie and their two children, Charlie and Sandy, who up-sticks and take on an orange farm in the secluded Mallorcan mountains. They quickly come to realise however, that their idyllic dream might not be quite what they had hoped and that they have a lot to learn about the Mallorcan way of life.

Filled with anecdotes and amusing stories, it was admittedly a pleasant enough way to pass the time, though I just didn't find Peter to be a wholly engaging storyteller if I'm honest. I also felt that (maybe because I read so many books like this?) the book was a bit predictable in places with the ex-pats getting ripped off by the locals and trying to ingratiate themselves with the neighbours. This grew a bit tedious after a while. I also can't help feeling that the Kerr's were just very naive in just accepting the farm at face value without doing any proper research into what they were ultimately taking on- no wonder they had so many problems with it, along with the irritating Mallorcan bureaucracy which meant that things always got rectified later, rather than sooner!

For me, one of the main sticking points with this book was the Spanish words thrown into a sentence casually, intermingled with the British ones. It just didn't feel necessary. Kerr himself explains that his Spanish is basic, though he can exchange words with his neighbours. Why bother having half a sentence in English and then random Spanish words chucked in just for the sake of it? Was it to impress the reader or something? It felt very clunky and again, irritated me.

Overall, this was an easy enough read, hence the three stars, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as other travel writers works I've read in the past- prime examples being Annie Hawes', Carol Drinkwater and Peter Mayle to name but a few. I would probably try another one of Kerr's books if I came across it in a charity shop, but I wouldn't be in any immediate hurry to hunt one out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !, 15 Sep 2001
After living in Mallorca working in the tourist industry Mallorca has always held a very special place in my heart. Peter Kerr captures life in Mallorca excellently with such humour. I couldn't put either of his books Manana Manana and Snowball Oranges down. I just hope he doesn't leave it there I wait with anticipation for a follow up.

5.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing and delightful read., 4 July 2000
By A Customer
This book is so delicious that it leaves one breathing a contented sigh. The narrative, with its evocative descriptions and down-to-earth humour, is thoroughly warm and open. The dialogue is well constructed, and laced with enough wit to make one laugh out loud. All in all, a beautiful travelogue with the kind of structural and stylisic qualities usually only attributed to a novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Brilliant - I Couldn't Put It Down!, 17 Aug 2000
By A Customer
I've read 'Driving Over Lemons' and enjoyed it - but this is even better. Absolutely hilarious and great character portrayal; the rivalries between the locals and depictions of the relaxed (and at times unorthodox) Mallorcan way of life are dispersed with the author's obvious love of the country. Thoroughly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Snowball Oranges, 17 Sep 2012
Downloaded this to my Kindle to read on holiday in Ibiza. It was a nice easy read, very funny in places and cost less than 1.00. A bargain!

Snowball Oranges: One Mallorcan Winter
Snowball Oranges: One Mallorcan Winter by Peter Kerr (Paperback - 6 April 2010)
7.19