5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Published 8 months ago by MR JAMES G LOMAS

3.0 out of 5 stars Too ambiguous in places
Having recently migrated an old 4.2 JBoss Application to JBoss 6.1 (I somehow missed out on 5.x) and resolved most of the problems from Googl'ing and the forums I was pleased to see that there was book on 7.1 to assist in my next migration.

Published on 6 Aug. 2012 by NOTiFY

3.0 out of 5 stars Too ambiguous in places, 6 Aug. 2012
NOTiFY (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jboss as 7 Configuration, Deployment and Administration (Paperback)

The biggest problem I experiencing was "class loading" using the new module approach. It wasn't until the penny dropped that I was able to get rid of the "class not found" exceptions and get my App working on JBoss 7.1.

Whilst I found it a good kick-start I don't think it explained things fully/simply enough and I found some sections contradictory and not too clear (to me).

The basis of this review was purely on configuring JDBC and class loading (of external JARs). Would give it 3.5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Aug. 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars wraps complex applications, 28 Jan. 2012
My first acquaintance with jBoss was in the beginning; around 1999 during the height of the dot com boom. At that time, it was mainly meant for wrapping Enterprise Java Beans. Though soon after, if I recall correctly, the ability to encapsulate Java Message Service was soon added.

Now Marchioni demonstrates how the latest AS 7 has come a far distance. The quickest way to see this is to peruse the figure on page 8, which shows the applications that it now can control. These include Apache, logging and various security packages. All within a Java Virtual Machine [jvm] framework! The author reminds us that in spite of all the publicity and apparent mindshare about scripting languages like Perl, PHP and Ruby, the usage of Java still is about equal to the combined usage of all those. Incentive indeed to read this book.

Most of the book is at a detailed level suitable for a sysadmin tasked with installing and running jBoss. The complexity arises out of the complexities of those packages running under jBoss. Unfortunately this cannot be avoided. So for a realistic deployment in a data center, running jBoss is not easily automated. The bright side is that the myriad steps in this book that need to be manually understood and performed act as some job security!

Eclipse gets considerable mention in the book. Since it is perhaps the most popular environment (ie. SDK) for java development. The good news is that this jBoss fully supports Eclipse.

We also see that jBoss can administer applications that use relational databases. MySql is used as an example; possibly in part because it is free and popular.

How to use Apache inside jBoss is also explained. Many web administrators should check this out if they plan on upgrading to AS 7. The Apache-jBoss interaction seems quite robust.

Jboss as 7 Configuration, Deployment and Administration
Jboss as 7 Configuration, Deployment and Administration by Francesco Marchioni (Paperback - 16 Dec. 2011)