Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 31 January 2012
Being a novice of Puppet and just starting my initial install of the software I was in search of a cookbook to help with answers with problems I was having. In reading "Puppet 2.7 Cookbook" so far, I have enjoyed the way the book was structured and formatted. The "HOW IT WORKS" sections are helpful in understanding what Puppet will do.

I highly recommend the book for anyone that wants to get a better handle on common problems.
on 30 January 2012
Initially when I started to work with puppet I found it hard to manage my modules, certificates and various conf files. In these terms I found this book a practical and handy guide, with lot of best practices.

The best part is the way each content is organized. Each topic is distributed into following sections "Getting ready", "How to do it", "How it works", "There's more", and "See also". This made things detailed and clear for me.

Even if you have done puppet set-up in this book you might find some useful info which can make things easier or better. For example, this books, talks about various puppet.conf parameters (as common as modulepath and as unknown as usecacheonfailure, ).

Another good thing which I felt that apart from managing Application, Packages and Virtual resources, this book covered Reporting and graphing. Though I haven't tried reporting and graphing yet, but courtesy this book I might try that soon.

The only 2 things to keep in mind regarding this book. First, it is not for beginners and demands some understanding of Puppet and Linux (though author has mentioned in the book, but thought you should be aware). Second, it is not purely a "How do I" kind of book.
on 30 January 2012
This book gave me very good insights and really has value above the online docs. This is not so much a reference, but a collection of best-practices so you can make optimal use of Puppet.
The book is well-written, with an informal tone that is easy and fun to read. I really liked it and am already using parts of it in my daily work.
on 2 February 2012
For sysadmins running a large network of machines, configuration management can be a perennial headache. Puppet was devised to handle some of the tedium. This version 2.7 is rather sophisticated, judging by the text's detailed descriptions of its abilities. The package is aimed at linux and unix machines, and presupposes that you are the sysadmin, and am already familiar with and performing the typical administrative tasks. The book also seeks to appeal to the current mindshare about cloud computing. The latter still needs to be instantiated somewhere as a [massive] data center. You might be one of the chaps in it.

Unsurprisingly, puppet cannot be run by itself. The first chapter points out that you need to also install Apache and Passenger. For a unix/linux machine, Apache is probably already present. So you just need Passenger. Unfortunately, there are dependent packages. Namely Rails, Ruby and MySql. Apache is recommended by Arundel, instead of sticking with the default puppet web server which he says is too slow.

Puppet as you will see is run at the command line. Serious sysadmins should prefer this to a slick GUI, because the text based input lends itself to crontabbing (scheduling under linux) and also to a modular format in line with other unix based packages.

It is indeed possible to program in puppet. It comes with what seems to be a simple scripting language that, above all, has conditional statements ("if"). The code snippets are deliberately easy to follow. Your usages might end up with far more intricate logic. Puppet also comes in a modular form. So that 3rd parties (you?) can add to it. As inspired by the success of packages like Apache. The text explains how. Somewhat non-trivial, but it certainly looks possible. Speaking of Apache, one section of the text involves writing a module for it to interact with puppet.