5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book with very useful resources!, 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: Mastering Joomla! 1.5 Extension and Framework Development (Paperback)
Background: I am almost new to Joomla! though I have been programming in PHP since many years now. I am mainly a Python developer, I develop with Django on regular basics, and I have to say that I find the MVC Joomla! implementation very weak (honestly I have to say that I am quiet critic on PHP generally speaking, so maybe my opinion is biased).
But for a project I could't use Python but I needed to be proficient in Joomla! in a very quick time, in order to be able to write a component following the MVC design pattern.
I have starting collecting many materials on the web, mostly on the Joomla! web site: in many case the material was not as updated and completed as I wished.
Then I started looking at the Amazon web site for books about this topic, and I have selected this one, and I must say that this choices was a life-saving!
After reading the whole book I can safely say that this is a must-have book for every serious developer who whish to master how to customize this popular CMS.
The whole stuff is very well packaged in a nice order: in the first two chapters there is a gentle introduction to the topic.
Chapter 3 will teach you the Joomla! database structure and the database naming conventions. You will also learn how to query the database with the Joomla! classes of the framework, including the base CRUD methods.
From chapter 4 starts the core of the book: in that chapter there is an excellent overview about the structure of the extensions (components, modules and plugins), followed by 3 chapters dedicated to each kind of extension with a dedicated tutorial.
So in chapter 5 you will design and develop a component, in chapter 6 a module and in chapter 7 a plugin. Code is very well documented (and it is actually working if you go along), and the training is really very well structured.
Finally at chapter 8 you get more informations about component backends, in chapter 9 there are useful instructions for customizing the page, chapter 10 is dedicated to how manage XML, AJAX, LDAP and Web services, chapter 11 to Error handling and security, chapter 12 to utilities and other classes (Dates, File system, arrays, trees and log files).
The book ends a rich appendix about Jooomla! core classes.
As I have already said, this is a must-have book for developers working with Joomla!, and I think the price of this book is very worth even only for reading chapters 4 and 5 (about 100 pages long) that are the core of the book and that will put you definitely in the right way for Joomla! development.
So for me, 5 stars without doubt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you might want to know about Joomla extensions in one huge book, 20 Aug 2010
J. Horton (UK) - See all my reviews
What is, in my opinion, indisputable is that this book is an eye-opening tutorial and, especially with the sumptuous appendices a huge and valuable reference to anybody that wants to extend Joomla.

As a relative newcomer I feel I must point out that I had to re-read some of the earlier chapters to make them more meaningful to me. It probably was my previous level of knowledge that meant I needed to really study things and chapter 5 was initially a bit confusing but now a veritable font of knowledge.

The detail with which some PHP topics are covered and related to the book subject like static and private variables, combined with the fairly huge resources in the appendix make this work quite nearly encyclopedic. The large page count excludes half a dozen extra downloadable sections.

I can describe my journey through the book as exciting. Each detail as it unfolded brought me closer to my first Joomla extension and each eye-opening detail like how easy it is to create the administrator menus for your component was a joy. You CANNOT google information like this.

How about an extensions cookbook with loads more examples? I'd buy it.

Yes I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best guide, 17 April 2011
Here is the best guide for begin to learn how to developing joomla extensions and framework. I recomend that you buy this guide. For me have been very helpful. This guide is divided into 12 chapters and one apendix of Joomla! Core classes.

Whole book is one example which grows as the book progresses.

Mastering Joomla! 1.5 Extension and Framework Development
Mastering Joomla! 1.5 Extension and Framework Development by James Kennard (Paperback - 30 May 2010)
30.99