5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved this. Great for weight loss
Having recently discovered that I am gluten intolerant and giving up 'white carb' (bread, rice, pasta, cakes, biscuits, etc) I can honestly say that buying this book will be a great investment if you are trying to lose weight. When I cut out 'empty' carohydrates -I lost a stone and a half in 8 weeks!

I've currently relaxed a bit and started eating white carbs...
Published 6 days ago by Babs

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fulfil the brief
People may have many reasons for trying to cut down on carbohydrates based on grains or potatoes. Personally I don't buy the guff (some of which appears in the blurb for this book) about feeling more energy, having better skin and so on, but the only sensible reason as I can see it is to reduce calorie intake by removing such calorie dense foodstuffs.

That's...
Published 22 days ago by E. L. Wisty

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute treat., 16 July 2014
This review is from: Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great (Hardcover)
This book is a treat. What a delightful journey through its luscious pages laden with great recipes, glorious photos and inspired writing. And to think this is all going to be good for me too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A great range of recipes and ideas which are carefully explained and demonstrated. Really good photos too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and easy to follow recipes, 31 Aug 2014
Woyee (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the past, the only way I have lost weight has been to cut out the carbs as much as possible. The trouble is finding something you can eat which is healthy (i.e. not likely to boost your cholesterol levels through the roof) and which doesn't contain potato, rice, pasta or wheat . This book is well written and gives 100 different recipes for breakfasts, snacks, lunch, dinner and desserts that do not rely on these ingredients. The book provides an interesting variety of meals and the instructions for their preparation are clear and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful inspiration to switch out white carbs!, 22 July 2014
I'm finally clutching my copy of Cut the Carbs! Not because I'm an avid cook book buyer (quite the contrary), but because my white carb cooking needs a (colourful) makeover. Much like Tori describes, my go-to recipes all involve pasta, mash - and I may be the kind of person who declares, "twice as nice with rice!" So what I like most about Cut the Carbs is the inspiration to switch out these habits for simple, tasty staples.

I love knowing that I can stock my cupboards with beans/pulses and be able to quickly throw together a base for some lean protein. Tori's recipes are busting with flavour - but, gratefully, not ingredients which are impossible to find. And like her blog, each recipe comes with an entertaining and enticing introduction (matched with beautiful, mouthwatering photography) - which, for a reluctant cook like me, acts as a friendly nudge to give something new a try.

Now, I love sourdough waaaaaaay too much to ever give up white carbs completely, which is just one more reason to buy this cookbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was after., 21 Aug 2014
E. H. (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I go to the gym and work a lot on building up muscle whilst stripping away fat, but the hardest bit for me has always been cutting (fat stripping). This book is very straight forward and has massively helped in reducing my carb intake. I have no knowledge in sports science, nutrition etc. so have always found it hard to get information with language that I understand. This is a big foot in the door.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you, if this book cannot change your habits, 31 Aug 2014
TheShopaholic (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is nothing difficult about cutting down on carbs really, a little re-education is all that is needed. White carbs (flour, sugar, potatoes and rice) are usually the worst and are easily identifiable. These simple, refined carbs are the mainstay of the English diet. If we have a meal, we usually have it with rice, or potatoes cooked in one format or another and baking without wheatflour is thought to impossible by some (but you can bake a beautiful moist chocolate gateau without flour!). Tori's book brings to us a collection of dishes from far and wide (traditional socca crepes from France, asparagus with a runny egg which is a typical Italian dish and others. Some of us are not aware of the alternatives to flour we can use to bake or make things that usually require flour and it is often difficult to imagine an English meal without potatoes but even the Chinese only traditionally eat rice as a 'filler' with a meal. If the purse allows it, only meat and veg dishes are eaten really.

Crudites, roasted nuts, soups and salads. All the recipes are actually quite standard and you would have to ask yourself why you need to buy a cookbook to tell you how to eat without adding the white carbs. Habit mainly, lack of imagination perhaps. Whatever your reason, this book will have your mouth watering with its contents. Apart from a few dishes with lentils and pulses, much of it is appealing to those who consider themselves a 'meat and 3 veg' type.

I liked it for the reason that it does not contain way out recipes that most people would not find appealing and the ingredients are not difficult to come by either (which is often a failing of many cookbooks).

If you can't cut the carbs after buying this book, then there is definitely no hope for you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't inspire me, 23 Aug 2014
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As others have pointed out, this is a reduced carb rather than no carb recipe book, avoiding bread, pasta, rice & potatoes. The book is essentially advocating a low-GI diet. I love to cook and have literally hundreds of cook books but this one just didn't inspire me. I was somewhat mystified as to why there are so many five star reviews but then I looked at the reviewers' history and I suspect most of those reviews have been posted by parties connected to either the author or the publisher.

To start with, there were too many dishes for which I already have recipes e.g. cauliflower & broccoli gratin, dal, white bean purée, ribollita. After that, there just wasn't much that grabbed my attention. There are a lot of pulses used in the book which for some people may be something different but pulses have been an essential component of my vegetarian diet for years so there weren't any great revelations there. I'm not really a pudding person so it says something, I think, that the most appealing recipes for me were the desserts - Clementine tarta di Santiago, passionfruit & raspberry nougat parfait, Salzburger nockerl, peppermint chocolate mousse.

For the most part the ingredients are easy to find although there is the odd exception e.g. pomegranate molasses & rice malt syrup which I would have to source from an online supplier - only cost effective if buying in bulk which I don't want to do. Preparation is pretty straightforward too. There is a selection of breakfasts but these either involved more prep time than I would be ready to spend in the morning or were not the sort of thing I would want to eat at breakfast time - eggs yes, but not with asparagus, omelette maybe but not one involving feta, lentils & pistachios, nor Mexican baked eggs served with guacamole. The recipes in this section seemed more useful as light lunches than breakfast.

I have to say I hated the narrative parts introducing each section and each recipe - particularly the asinine references to 'The Hungry One' aka the author's husband. I was annoyed too that the font in the introduction to each chapter was much larger than that used for the recipes, and that the irritating comment about the recipes was in bold whilst the tiny font used for the ingredients & method, i.e. the important bits, is light and more difficult to read.

If you want a low GI cookbook there are better ones out there - take a look at Rachel Anne Hill, Lorna Rhodes, Rose Elliott for vegetarians albeit she still includes some 'white' carbs, and Antony Worrall Thompson has published several on this theme. I'm afraid this book is destined to languish at the back of the bookshelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite cookbook!, 16 July 2014
Absolutely love this - cooked my first recipe from it the first day it arrived (the Peruvian chicken, coriander & quinoa soup) and was just so impressed. All the recipes look great - and not too complicated or involving too many impossible-to-find ingredients either, which is a common flaw I've found in cook books with a healthier slant.

Can't wait to cook more from this! Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 7 July 2014
This is a terrific book. It is not an austere diet book- though it's perfect if you want to lose some weight and feel better. It's obviously written by someone who loves food- and everything I've tried so far has been delicious. The peach pulled pork and dirty quinoa is a cracker and the chocolate, black bean and cherry loaf cake is so quick and such a winner. Photos are beautiful and each recipe has a great introduction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the recipe book shelf, 12 Aug 2014
Juan McGuinness "Rhumsaa" (Ellan Vannin) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Possibly the best recipe book I have found that deals with the real life issue of cutting out and/or replacing carbs. Having grown up with the Carb being centre stage in all my favourite meals I have found it difficult to find meals I enjoy without getting boring and repetitive in the realm of salads or soup. This book wins me over by recognising this and providing meal options that retain the old feel of past favourites while adding in carb replacements - mashed butter bean colcannon for example is a revelation.

The layout and presentation of the book is excellent, the descriptions and instructions are conversational but also clear and easy to follow and the pictures are appetising.

I especially liked the introduction where the carb replacements were laid out and discussed up front so that you had a better understanding of what was being used and why rather than suddenly be hit by the emergence of Chia Seeds in a recipe and being left floundering.

My criticisms of it are it feels like while striving to get to 100 recipes some desperation entries made it - I can't justify a recipe for soft boiled eggs and replacing toast for asparagus spears as being a valuable addition to my repertoire.

If you are looking to try more meals without carbs and want something normal still - buy this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›