4.0 out of 5 stars Great British Sewing Bee book to accompany the 2nd series
Published 5 months ago by Deb's French

3.0 out of 5 stars Good range of patterns but too many mistakes for beginners
I love the range of patterns in this book, and have made a few already. However, there are a lot of mistakes, none of which are dealbreakers for me (so far), because I don't tend to follow pattern instructions. However, given that this book is made to accompany a series that may be introducing newcomers to sewing, I think they're pretty unacceptable.

They range...
Published 3 months ago by Borrower88

3.0 out of 5 stars Good range of patterns but too many mistakes for beginners, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe (Hardcover)

They range from missing notches (the shift dress pattern), to really bizarre instructions (the bound buttonhole instructions for the coat make no sense - they suggest adding them in the second-to-last step using a method that doesn't finish them on the inside of the coat. Also annoying things about the photography, for example the book never shows how the simple T-shirt should look on a person, the main photo obscures the neckline which means that like the other reviewer, I ended up with a massive thing that fell off my shoulders! A lesson to always measure the pattern pieces and make a muslin!

I still think it's excellent value for money in terms of the number of patterns provided, but the instructions, mistakes and poor proofreading leave a lot to be desired, which means this book is actually not that fit for purpose if you consider its target audience of non-experts. A shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great British Sewing Bee book to accompany the 2nd series, 21 Feb 2014
Love that they have included all the patterns this time, even if slightly muddled on the 5 pattern sheets. This means that even those without access to the internet and a printer can make the items. It is also very logically ordered giving much advice about fabrics, fit and finish. Like the master classes from May and Patrick too. Definately worth the money for the patterns alone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Mar 2014
I have now bought both books for the sewing bee programmes. Love the TV programme but the book! How do you know what the patterns are - they don't tell you unless you look at the pattern sheets. Very poor instructions too with some mistakes. Do they not test the instructions and proof read?? There are much better books out there

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality proofing reading BBC please! Disappointing., 5 April 2014
I've never been moved to write a review, until now...this is a case of a book rushed to print far too quickly without proff king reading or indeed, reading by anyone it seems. I'm a competent sewer and either do not understand or find mistake so far in many examples. Eg.the right/wrong side of the fabric is sometimes 'wrong' with text/diag not matching. I think I've found a cut and pin (page 40, item 1?) mixed up: disastrous! I was given this book, a purchase by my mum through Amazon, a delightfully accepted pressie as love the BSB and wanted a book like this. But please- check (by sewers, not proof readers who don't see sewing mistakes) before you print , BBC, and include more photographs! Disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some really useful tips but likely to be confusing for the complete novice, 28 April 2014
I was very excited to buy this book as The Great British Sewing Bee has re-invigorated my desire to make my own clothes (not done much more than make curtains for the last 20 years!) and even have a go at adapting patterns and, if I'm really brave, creating a garment without a patterns at all. I hoped the book would help me in this.
There are some good tips, but I am only on page 40 and have spotted many mistake/errors/omissions.
For example, in the chapter on Fit there is a reference to "Stitch the shell" when, unless I missed it, we have not been told what a shell is.
And in the hemming section, under curved hems, I think a few sentences have been missed out. The text reads "...Cut along that line. When you get back to the beginning fold under the remaining end so that it aligns with the seam line". This makes no sense at all! Only after re-reading several times and looking at the diagram did I work out there is a step mixing about applying the bias binding to the cut edge. I have been sewing for years and this threw me. If I was new to dressmaking I wouldn't have had a clue!
This is a real shame as on the whole the book is good and the TV series was inspiring. May and Patrick clearly know their stuff and so should be more careful in putting their names to a sub-standard publication.
At the very least could the BBC and/or Quadrille Publishing review for errors (sewing construction errors not just typos) and publish errata online?

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 18 Mar 2014
This book has reawakened my love of sewing. Lots of practical advice and picitures. Can use with tv probramme, love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where is the skirt pattern?, 2 April 2014
I got brought this book as a present, i've been sewing for a little while now but mainly just things for the home so I was quite pleased to receive this book as I was looking to start sewing some clothes. I thought I would start with the easy-sew short skirt as it looked very simple to do and was also something I would wear. I have had the pattern sheets out today and have been looking at them for the past half hour but I cannot for the life of me find the pattern pieces for this skirt am I going mad or is this pattern not included?

1.0 out of 5 stars I loved watching the sewing bee and eagerly awaited the arrival ..., 9 July 2014
K. Rc Smith "Krautrocker" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I loved watching the sewing bee and eagerly awaited the arrival of the book. I too am an intermediate sewer, and tried the men's casual shirt pattern. Although I followed the instructions very carefully, there was a mistake in the pattern itself (sleeve) and the design of the shirt meant that the collar looks unfinished. Really disappointed :(

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like this book, 29 May 2014
I was very disappointed with this book it really is just a spin off book and not easy to navigate around and some of the projects are distinctly yuck and boring also the sizes of the clothes are too restricted!

3.0 out of 5 stars Little disappointed in the content, 10 May 2014
i expected, more designs in this and some of the favourite sewn pieces on the TV show were not included. I was a little disappointed but a useful book

The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe
The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe by Tessa Evelegh (Hardcover - 20 Feb 2014)
12.00