4.0 out of 5 stars Great British Sewing Bee book to accompany the 2nd series
Published 8 months ago by Deb's French

3.0 out of 5 stars Good range of patterns but too many mistakes for beginners
I love the range of patterns in this book, and have made a few already. However, there are a lot of mistakes, none of which are dealbreakers for me (so far), because I don't tend to follow pattern instructions. However, given that this book is made to accompany a series that may be introducing newcomers to sewing, I think they're pretty unacceptable.

They range...
Published 6 months ago by Borrower88

3.0 out of 5 stars Good range of patterns but too many mistakes for beginners, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe (Hardcover)

They range from missing notches (the shift dress pattern), to really bizarre instructions (the bound buttonhole instructions for the coat make no sense - they suggest adding them in the second-to-last step using a method that doesn't finish them on the inside of the coat. Also annoying things about the photography, for example the book never shows how the simple T-shirt should look on a person, the main photo obscures the neckline which means that like the other reviewer, I ended up with a massive thing that fell off my shoulders! A lesson to always measure the pattern pieces and make a muslin!

I still think it's excellent value for money in terms of the number of patterns provided, but the instructions, mistakes and poor proofreading leave a lot to be desired, which means this book is actually not that fit for purpose if you consider its target audience of non-experts. A shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some really useful tips but likely to be confusing for the complete novice, 28 April 2014
I was very excited to buy this book as The Great British Sewing Bee has re-invigorated my desire to make my own clothes (not done much more than make curtains for the last 20 years!) and even have a go at adapting patterns and, if I'm really brave, creating a garment without a patterns at all. I hoped the book would help me in this.
There are some good tips, but I am only on page 40 and have spotted many mistake/errors/omissions.
For example, in the chapter on Fit there is a reference to "Stitch the shell" when, unless I missed it, we have not been told what a shell is.
And in the hemming section, under curved hems, I think a few sentences have been missed out. The text reads "...Cut along that line. When you get back to the beginning fold under the remaining end so that it aligns with the seam line". This makes no sense at all! Only after re-reading several times and looking at the diagram did I work out there is a step mixing about applying the bias binding to the cut edge. I have been sewing for years and this threw me. If I was new to dressmaking I wouldn't have had a clue!
This is a real shame as on the whole the book is good and the TV series was inspiring. May and Patrick clearly know their stuff and so should be more careful in putting their names to a sub-standard publication.
At the very least could the BBC and/or Quadrille Publishing review for errors (sewing construction errors not just typos) and publish errata online?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great British Sewing Bee book to accompany the 2nd series, 21 Feb 2014
Love that they have included all the patterns this time, even if slightly muddled on the 5 pattern sheets. This means that even those without access to the internet and a printer can make the items. It is also very logically ordered giving much advice about fabrics, fit and finish. Like the master classes from May and Patrick too. Definately worth the money for the patterns alone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Mar 2014
I have now bought both books for the sewing bee programmes. Love the TV programme but the book! How do you know what the patterns are - they don't tell you unless you look at the pattern sheets. Very poor instructions too with some mistakes. Do they not test the instructions and proof read?? There are much better books out there

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality proofing reading BBC please! Disappointing., 5 April 2014
I've never been moved to write a review, until now...this is a case of a book rushed to print far too quickly without proff king reading or indeed, reading by anyone it seems. I'm a competent sewer and either do not understand or find mistake so far in many examples. Eg.the right/wrong side of the fabric is sometimes 'wrong' with text/diag not matching. I think I've found a cut and pin (page 40, item 1?) mixed up: disastrous! I was given this book, a purchase by my mum through Amazon, a delightfully accepted pressie as love the BSB and wanted a book like this. But please- check (by sewers, not proof readers who don't see sewing mistakes) before you print , BBC, and include more photographs! Disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars I loved watching the sewing bee and eagerly awaited the arrival ..., 9 July 2014
K. Rc Smith "Krautrocker" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I loved watching the sewing bee and eagerly awaited the arrival of the book. I too am an intermediate sewer, and tried the men's casual shirt pattern. Although I followed the instructions very carefully, there was a mistake in the pattern itself (sleeve) and the design of the shirt meant that the collar looks unfinished. Really disappointed :(

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be worth it - the jury's out., 20 Jun 2014
I never bought the first book as I abhor putting PDF patterns together, and cannot understand how in this day and age when every tom, Dick and Harry is issuing sewing books including full size patterns this BS still happens... Anyway, I love me a good sewing book with a bunch of patterns included and figure that even if I only like and use two patterns then it's worth the money. This book fits the bill, but it's getting three stars, no more, as a) there are so many errors - definitely not proof read, i cannot stand spelling mistakes! b) in at least a couple of patterns, the layout diagrams are wrongly labelled - what is definitely a bodice front is mislabelled as a back - I just hope the pattern pieces aren't! c) The so-called masterclasses - well, what can I say? Maybe it's because I've been sedwing for years and have a sizable collection of technique books... but there is nothing masterclassish about them. I immediately hunted for the Wool masterclass - no mention of now helpful a clapper is to make those hard to press seams and hem look great. d) The pretty 30s blouse that tempted me (saw it on a blog) - that collar! O.M.G. I would never wear a collar that was so badly made - the under collar is sticking out all around. At least there are no huge bulky hems on show, another of my pet hates/

I also dislike that there are no finished measurements available for the garments, something that most of the good sewing books include, as do commercial patterns. I know, I know, I can measure the flat pattern pieces myself, but why should I?

Having said all that, I am keeping the book, in the hope that the patterns work out ok.

1.0 out of 5 stars Riddled with errors, 23 Sep 2014
I like the concept of this book but it is riddled with mistakes.

I am attempting to make the Girl's Dress, but so far I have discovered:

1) The sizes on the pattern (3-6, 6-9, 9-12 and 12-18 - no mention of what units these even are!!) do not remotely match up with those given in the instructions (3, 4, 5 and 6 years)

2) The yardage given for the fabrics is not right. It says you need double the length of fabric for the bodice as for the skirt when it is clear from the layout diagram that the skirt will require the most fabric. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until I had already purchased the yardage stated at the top, so did not have enough.

3) A seam allowance has been missed from the back bodice pattern piece, so once you have added the zip, the back bodice is too small to match up with the skirt piece and the front bodice.

I am a real beginner and yet I can spot these mistakes - God knows how they got through the editorial process. I am just pleased that there are plenty of other reviews on here pointing out the mistakes so I am reassured it is the book that has it wrong, not me.

I also bought Tilly Walnes' Love at First Stitch, and I honestly think that is a better place for Sewing Bee fans to start if they want to have a go at making their own garments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money, especially for a beginner., 29 July 2014
I deliberated between this and a couple of other books as a beginner (I also purchased Dressmaking, and wanted the other Sewing Bee book) but I'm glad I picked this one up, especially at £12, which it has been on Amazon for a while. The book comes with 5 sheets incorporating all 24 patterns to be traced and used, as well as masterclasses along the way on every technique I can think of trying as a beginner, including buttonholes, concealed, standard and revealed zips, working with different fabrics, finishing seams and more. It has a detailed section on how to take your own measurements, and therefore how to adjust patterns to your unique fit. It covers a comprehensive introduction to different fabrics, and how to choose and match them to projects, as well as giving the detailed instructions and overview of finishing seams and edges.

In my opinion it is a fantastic first or early book to inspire someone to get into sewing. It makes everything accessible, exciting and has a ton of pictures. I have already read the Dressmaking book, which I would recommend also, and there is overlap but both books are still worth it. This one is aimed at getting beginners to grips with the essentials, as well as enough skill and instruction to actually make something, and I think it is pitched perfectly. I haven't tried the patterns out yet, but it's not why I bought the book. I could use everything else in this book to help me make the most of other patterns I have bought, perfecting the finishes and adjusting them to different projects. The patterns are a fab bonus (and in things I actually want to make!)

I am amazed at how much info they have crammed into this book, I think it is fantastic, and beautiful. I borrowed the other Sewing Bee book from a friend and this one has tons more info in it. If you are a beginner, it's a great place to start!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to your bookshelf and wardrobe, 28 July 2014
Kari B (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I brought this along with the first book, The Great British Sewing Bee, and i was pleased to see this is more of a project book than just an updated version of the last one. There are hints and tips at the beginning and then you move on to the projects which can all be found on the five big sheets in the attached boxlet. It was nice to see the ladies pattern have now gone up to a size 18 (shop size 14/16) and you could get started on a project straight away (your fabric hoard permitting). I made the simple t-shirt the day i got the book with a few alterations (try YouTube for guides on how to alter patterns for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPFfLo7zlmQ - i have no connections to this video i just like it)

Pros:
All the patterns are included
Tips and hints to make sewing easier
Lots of inspirations and variety of projects to make
The projects are based on the ones used in the tv show
Nice basics for your wardrobe
Good range from simple to more complicated

Cons
Ladies patterns are still a little small
The patterns sheets can be confusing, the front, back, side outlines are not the same colour for the same pattern
Some of the patterns are a bit silly, do you really need a baby teddy bear onesie?!
No notches and few alteration marks

Overall i'm happy with my purchase. I ave used it as a guide together with my simple/easy sew shop brought patterns, i will make more of the projects but with my own alterations. This is a nice stand alone book, but also goes well with the original book without too. much cross over of information.

The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe
The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe by Tessa Evelegh (Hardcover - 20 Feb 2014)