4.0 out of 5 stars Great British Sewing Bee book to accompany the 2nd series
Published 16 months ago by Deb's French

3.0 out of 5 stars Good range of patterns but too many mistakes for beginners
I love the range of patterns in this book, and have made a few already. However, there are a lot of mistakes, none of which are dealbreakers for me (so far), because I don't tend to follow pattern instructions. However, given that this book is made to accompany a series that may be introducing newcomers to sewing, I think they're pretty unacceptable.

They range...
Published 15 months ago by Borrower88

3.0 out of 5 stars Good range of patterns but too many mistakes for beginners, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe (Hardcover)

They range from missing notches (the shift dress pattern), to really bizarre instructions (the bound buttonhole instructions for the coat make no sense - they suggest adding them in the second-to-last step using a method that doesn't finish them on the inside of the coat. Also annoying things about the photography, for example the book never shows how the simple T-shirt should look on a person, the main photo obscures the neckline which means that like the other reviewer, I ended up with a massive thing that fell off my shoulders! A lesson to always measure the pattern pieces and make a muslin!

I still think it's excellent value for money in terms of the number of patterns provided, but the instructions, mistakes and poor proofreading leave a lot to be desired, which means this book is actually not that fit for purpose if you consider its target audience of non-experts. A shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but the tailored buttonhole on the 60s coat failed me, 28 Dec. 2014
The books full of lovely patterns and ideas I was extremely pleased with it until I got stuck trying to make 1960s coat . The description of how to do the tailored buttonholes. The book does not complete the full instructions of how to finish the tailored or 'bound' button holes, on the inside of the coat.
You need to stitch the tailored or bound buttonhole onto the front of coat, But!
(the buttonhole does not go right through the facing, or lining, at this stage)
You then attach the lining/ facing to the back of this afterwards;
Then where the inside buttonhole is, cut same kind of slit in lining/faceing,
Fold raw edges under on lining/facing button hole slit.
and then stitching it to the edge of the back of the main buttonhole.
Giving you a neat finish on the inside... which is pretty important.

I found it very hard to find out, how, to do this. But once I found the instructions. Which I found in a very old 1940 "Compleat Book of Sewing" book.
(that I downloaded on my Kindle) I was okay.

I also looked it up on YouTube.
I also found the coller pattern was too short at the neck ... And I did check and doublecheck, it was shorter than it should be but didn't spoil my nice 60's coat. And once I sorted out the button holes... it is a lovely coat!!! :-) If I was a novice at needlework, I would make a trail up first, in the cheapest fabric. but we should do this really. Don't be put off... I like the book I will make lot of the patterns up. But for worned is helpful. So double check things like the notches. I think they need to try run and proofread it by printer and Coe.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Mar. 2014
I have now bought both books for the sewing bee programmes. Love the TV programme but the book! How do you know what the patterns are - they don't tell you unless you look at the pattern sheets. Very poor instructions too with some mistakes. Do they not test the instructions and proof read?? There are much better books out there

3.0 out of 5 stars Some really useful tips but likely to be confusing for the complete novice, 28 April 2014
I was very excited to buy this book as The Great British Sewing Bee has re-invigorated my desire to make my own clothes (not done much more than make curtains for the last 20 years!) and even have a go at adapting patterns and, if I'm really brave, creating a garment without a patterns at all. I hoped the book would help me in this.
There are some good tips, but I am only on page 40 and have spotted many mistake/errors/omissions.
For example, in the chapter on Fit there is a reference to "Stitch the shell" when, unless I missed it, we have not been told what a shell is.
And in the hemming section, under curved hems, I think a few sentences have been missed out. The text reads "...Cut along that line. When you get back to the beginning fold under the remaining end so that it aligns with the seam line". This makes no sense at all! Only after re-reading several times and looking at the diagram did I work out there is a step mixing about applying the bias binding to the cut edge. I have been sewing for years and this threw me. If I was new to dressmaking I wouldn't have had a clue!
This is a real shame as on the whole the book is good and the TV series was inspiring. May and Patrick clearly know their stuff and so should be more careful in putting their names to a sub-standard publication.
At the very least could the BBC and/or Quadrille Publishing review for errors (sewing construction errors not just typos) and publish errata online?

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality proofing reading BBC please! Disappointing., 5 April 2014
I've never been moved to write a review, until now...this is a case of a book rushed to print far too quickly without proff king reading or indeed, reading by anyone it seems. I'm a competent sewer and either do not understand or find mistake so far in many examples. Eg.the right/wrong side of the fabric is sometimes 'wrong' with text/diag not matching. I think I've found a cut and pin (page 40, item 1?) mixed up: disastrous! I was given this book, a purchase by my mum through Amazon, a delightfully accepted pressie as love the BSB and wanted a book like this. But please- check (by sewers, not proof readers who don't see sewing mistakes) before you print , BBC, and include more photographs! Disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing follow on to the first book., 19 Feb. 2015
Mrs. Cherry A. Weeks (uk) - See all my reviews
As an experienced dressmaker and crafter who has now started teaching people to sew, I am dismayed by this book. It is difficult to follow and the pattern sheets are a disaster. Better to have 5 complete patterns than 5 sheets of criss-crossing pattern pieces! There is no real "tie-in" between the book content and the patterns - the connection is not clear in many instances. The pattern sheets are not labelled, so I had to spend half an hour sorting out which items were on which sheet. All in all, not good enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many mistakes!, 4 April 2015
Bought this book as I have recently got back into sewing. I've worked with patterns before so I have a bit of experience, but there are so many errors in this book that it makes it really hard, even for a relatively experienced sewer to get things right! The clothes are nice but it is really frustrating when the pattern just doesn't make sense, or the marking they refer to aren't there - for example, the 1960s coat, the dots for pocket and button holes just aren't marked on the pattern. It's really irresponsible that a book aimed at novice sewers should be written so shoddily, especially considering it's from a BBC show!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great British Sewing Bee book to accompany the 2nd series, 21 Feb. 2014
Love that they have included all the patterns this time, even if slightly muddled on the 5 pattern sheets. This means that even those without access to the internet and a printer can make the items. It is also very logically ordered giving much advice about fabrics, fit and finish. Like the master classes from May and Patrick too. Definately worth the money for the patterns alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money, especially for a beginner., 29 July 2014
I deliberated between this and a couple of other books as a beginner (I also purchased Dressmaking, and wanted the other Sewing Bee book) but I'm glad I picked this one up, especially at £12, which it has been on Amazon for a while. The book comes with 5 sheets incorporating all 24 patterns to be traced and used, as well as masterclasses along the way on every technique I can think of trying as a beginner, including buttonholes, concealed, standard and revealed zips, working with different fabrics, finishing seams and more. It has a detailed section on how to take your own measurements, and therefore how to adjust patterns to your unique fit. It covers a comprehensive introduction to different fabrics, and how to choose and match them to projects, as well as giving the detailed instructions and overview of finishing seams and edges.

In my opinion it is a fantastic first or early book to inspire someone to get into sewing. It makes everything accessible, exciting and has a ton of pictures. I have already read the Dressmaking book, which I would recommend also, and there is overlap but both books are still worth it. This one is aimed at getting beginners to grips with the essentials, as well as enough skill and instruction to actually make something, and I think it is pitched perfectly. I haven't tried the patterns out yet, but it's not why I bought the book. I could use everything else in this book to help me make the most of other patterns I have bought, perfecting the finishes and adjusting them to different projects. The patterns are a fab bonus (and in things I actually want to make!)

I am amazed at how much info they have crammed into this book, I think it is fantastic, and beautiful. I borrowed the other Sewing Bee book from a friend and this one has tons more info in it. If you are a beginner, it's a great place to start!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to your bookshelf and wardrobe, 28 July 2014
Kari B (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I brought this along with the first book, The Great British Sewing Bee, and i was pleased to see this is more of a project book than just an updated version of the last one. There are hints and tips at the beginning and then you move on to the projects which can all be found on the five big sheets in the attached boxlet. It was nice to see the ladies pattern have now gone up to a size 18 (shop size 14/16) and you could get started on a project straight away (your fabric hoard permitting). I made the simple t-shirt the day i got the book with a few alterations (try YouTube for guides on how to alter patterns for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPFfLo7zlmQ - i have no connections to this video i just like it)

Pros:
All the patterns are included
Tips and hints to make sewing easier
Lots of inspirations and variety of projects to make
The projects are based on the ones used in the tv show
Nice basics for your wardrobe
Good range from simple to more complicated

Cons
Ladies patterns are still a little small
The patterns sheets can be confusing, the front, back, side outlines are not the same colour for the same pattern
Some of the patterns are a bit silly, do you really need a baby teddy bear onesie?!
No notches and few alteration marks

Overall i'm happy with my purchase. I ave used it as a guide together with my simple/easy sew shop brought patterns, i will make more of the projects but with my own alterations. This is a nice stand alone book, but also goes well with the original book without too. much cross over of information.

The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe
The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe by Tessa Evelegh (Hardcover - 20 Feb. 2014)