5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful patterns with more than a touch of whimsy
I'm a fan of Stephanie's patterns (and have been working on a Beekeeper's Quilt for the last 2 years). I've seen many of these patterns listed on the TOK website since that time and loved them, but the problem has been deciding which to buy. When I saw this collection of so many of them, plus new patterns, all in one place I HAD to have a copy!

As a craft...
Published 10 months ago by Sarah

3.0 out of 5 stars Too twee for me and found some patterns far too ...
Too twee for me and found some patterns far too simplistic. However, this is a very popular book from a popular designer.
Published 3 days ago by sulkycat

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful patterns with more than a touch of whimsy, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Woodland Knits: Over 20 enchanting tales from heart of the forest (Paperback)

As a craft blogger I was lucky enough to get a review copy from the publisher, and I have to say that I was not at all disappointed and would have happily paid full price. The patterns are fabulous, the pictures are so lovely my 4 year old keeps looking through it to see the "fairies" and I've already finished knitting two of the designs (Bo Peep Scarf & Dragon Watcher's Hood). I can totally imagine knitting all of them! Beautiful.

I have recommended this book to my blog readers and have no hesitation in recommending it here too!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Book For Any Experience Level, 22 Feb 2014
I have only recently started knitting; my experience before picking up this book consisted of a slouchy hat, a beanie hat and a beard (because I love quirky things). I have seen Stephanie's patterns online before, but when I saw that this book existed I just had to get my hands on a copy!

It's a beautiful book; well laid out with clear writing and lovely pictures. It comes with a small introduction and glossary in the front, although I did have to youtube a couple of stitches I hadn't yet encountered as I personally struggle following written stitch instructions (e.g. for 'ssk' or 'm1'), but I think the instructions are as helpful as they can be. The patterns are lovely, too, including a hoodlet, jumper, poncho, stole, scarves and more. A couple of them are a bit too odd for me, such as the fairy wings, but they'd be cute for a child or for a fancy dress outfit.

I found the patterns easy to follow, although it's a bit confusing as a beginner trying to get the correct wool. Whether that's a problem with the book or with my experience level I'm not sure. My biggest gripe with this book is that the bear jumper (which is super cute and I really wanted to make) has only one size - 'department store women's large'. What does that even mean? She gives measurements, too, but I think if you're going to go to the effort of writing a book, the least you could do is work out how to make a smaller size and include both! Although disappointing, these are the only two 'problems' I have had with this book.

I really would recommend this if you enjoy knitting something a bit different, modern and more interesting than the usual cardies and beanie hats! Regardless of experience level (my Mum is a far better knitter than me and she liked the book, too), this is definately a book worth getting. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an imaginative book!, 7 Oct 2013
Grace (London, England) - See all my reviews
I was impressed with this book, the patterns are original and imaginative while also being totally wearable. So far I've made the kitten mittens for my daughter and she just loves them. It's filled with all Dosen's most popular tiny owl knits and loads of new ones too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Original designs, 22 Oct 2013
A delightful book to browse.

Have knitted one of the designs already and plan to make more.

Suitable for experienced knitters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Woodland Knits, 26 Dec 2013
Quirky book of odd knitting patterns which delighted my wife and formed the basis of a fair number of unusual hand knitted Christmas presents which were well received. Some of the patterns were a bit ambiguous which might cause novice knitters a few problems, but otherwie would recommend it for anyone looking for odd animal influenced designs. The front covers says it all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless original patterns, 20 Dec 2013
Lots of inspired original patterns. Ideal stocking filler for Christmas and lots of ideas for future hand made stocking fillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 17 Dec 2013
This is such a gorgeous book for all who have a little knowledge of knitting to those who are expert. Definitely some Christmas pressies for next year in the pipeline. Knits in there for all ages. Just flicking through the pages are lovely as the photos are so pretty.
Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 24 Nov 2013
Some lovely projects but the back-stories behind them didn't interest me. They may be fascinating for other knitters but I was only interested in the patterns. Very inventive and charming they are too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, fun patterns, cleverly written., 21 Oct 2013
T. Shingler (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
This is such a fun book. I didn't have any of Stephanie Dosen's previous patterns, (some of which are in this book) so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was very pleased with the freshness of the designs, the fun and whimsy evident is the design aesthetic and the intelligence of the patterns themselves.
There is a lovely mix of simple and more complex; the children and I now have a wish list that will keep me busy for quite some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 4 April 2014
A beautiful book, well laid out with clear instructions and an explanation of substituting yarns at the back. I'm knitting one of the scarves and can't wait to make the fawn poncho and bear jumper - stunning and original designs. I went on to purchase more patterns separately from her website as they are so easy to follow.

You won't be disappointed if you buy this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Woodland Knits: Over 20 enchanting tales from heart of the forest
Woodland Knits: Over 20 enchanting tales from heart of the forest by Stephanie Dosen (Paperback - 26 Sep 2013)
10.49