5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite healthy cookbook
Published 17 months ago by Susan Quinlan

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Kindle Version
Many of the recipes look lovely, we don't understand digestion yet so it's a stretch to say eating this ingredient will make a difference but it's full of healthy tasty looking recipes that don't look too much of a hassle to make and the information included is interesting.

Published 2 months ago by Just my opinion

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite healthy cookbook, 13 Mar 2013
Susan Quinlan - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Medicinal Chef: Eat Your Way to Better Health (Hardcover)
I recently boughht this new cookbook and I love it. The book begins with some interesting information on why certain foods are good for us. Then there are a number of wonderful tasty recipes. Each recipe is colour coded and it tells us how it benefits the body. There are recipes for the skin, joints and bones, respiratory system, immune system, metabolic system, mental and nervous system, the circulatory system, digestive system and the reproductive and urinary system.

I have tried lots of the recipes and they are easy to follow, quick to make and made from household ingredients. I also feel so well from eating these recipes and already I have noticed differences in my skin and I'm sleeping soundly. I think this cookbook would be a great investment for someone who wants to get healthier and enjoys eating tasty food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously impressed with this book, 11 April 2013
Firstly, thank you to all the Amazon reviewers that helped me make exactly the choice I was looking for - you helped me enormously.

I wanted to remind and re-educate myself on healthy eating, more specifically what I need to eat to try and mitigate some minor health issues. I already eat well and quite healthily, but I knew I wasn't doing enough, or had enough variety in my diet, but didn't know how to start improving things. So I trawled Amazon and came across this book. It is *exactly* what I was looking for, but I never expected to be so seriously impressed.

There is plenty of substantiated information on vitamins/nutrients/fibre etc contained in certain foods (fruit, veg, grains etc), but it is most definitely not written in a dry, or hard-to-read way. The 'science bits' are based on modern findings but if the jury is still out on facts, the author tells you so. He makes no sweeping statements, which I really liked.

There are separate sections on foods (telling you what is in them and how they help the body), recipes, and then at the back of the book, conditions (PCOS, menopause, inflammatory diseases like arthritis etc). So you get the information just on the foods themselves, but then information on certain conditions and what may help to improve them. And in the middle, some of the best healthy recipes I have personally ever seen, no exaggeration.

The recipes are quick (bless that man for understanding how busy we all are), but inspired and easy. I've tried a few of them since I received the book last week and all of them so far have been nothing short of delicious. I currently have the Chocolate No-Cheese Cake setting in my fridge. I was quite sceptical about this, I fully admit it, but it really did mix up like a dream and I could have spooned the mixture straight out of the processor as a pudding. But I did resist and I am making the Chocolate No-cheese Cake to completion!

I cannot speak highly enough of this book or this author. Dale Pinnock obviously knows his stuff and is careful to present only facts and substantiated information. But he is also obviously a highly talented cook/chef and makes inspired recipes. Also, he does not use any food that is not readily available in the average high street or supermarket - the recipes are practical and realistic.

Dale Pinnock obviously cares deeply about good health and eating well and clearly does his homework on food and nutrition. In fact, I am pretty much amazed that I actually found exactly what I need to find - I just did not think that this kind of information and assistance put in such a down-to-earth and realistic manner was out there.

I've improved my eating habits for ten days and I am already feeling much better physically, with a 'side order' in improved concentration and mental alertness, and I've by no means radically changed my diet in that short amount of time. It just goes to show that even very small, daily changes can make a world of difference very quickly and I have this book - it's recipes, information and guidance on what to eat - to thank for it. Highly, highly recommended.

Edit one week later -

The Chocolate no-cheese cake was divine. I forgot to mention that I omitted the peppermint essence as I wasn't sure about that combined with the coconut, and I am glad I did because the cake, in my opinion, does not need the peppermint essence. All who tried it could absolutely not believe that the base of this recipe was avocado!

I've tried several more recipes and tweaked a few to suit me, but they have all been really very good. I also have to mention that Dale's portion sizes are quite generous. I am quite a big eater and even I had to cut down on the portions slightly!

Very pleased with this book - cannot put it down and I am eating so well and so healthily!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book with great recipes, 26 Feb 2013
Justin Lusty "Justin Lusty" (London) - See all my reviews
This book is a complete breath of fresh air. Love the recipes, and as a final year nutritional therapy student I can see they stack up with the science. Can't wait to cook more of these recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy peasy healthy stuff, 30 Nov 2013
at last! heres a cookery book- focusing on healthy foods, the recipes are simple, unfussy and dont require 5 hours preparation! I use this regularly, it's covered in stuff I use in cooking- it doesnt live on my bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 24 April 2013
Really wish i had bought this earlier , his recipes are simple, easy to make , quick , tasty and above all really healthy and good for you , you dont need fancy ingredients its all (or should be) in your cupboards!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat your way to better health, 26 Feb 2013
I purchased this book having been given a couple of sample recipes to try. The philosophy of the book appeals to me as I want to eat more fresh food and cut out processed food but needed ideas and recipes on how to do this. Which foods to include in my diet and which to avoid. I would highly recommend this book wanting to improve their dietary habits

5.0 out of 5 stars I've finally gotten over my frozen pizza addiction, 23 Jun 2014
I love this book! I never really bothered with cooking - just chucked things in the oven because I didn't have much time in the evenings.

The recipes in here are so quick and easy and taste delicious.

This book has totally changed the way I eat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Kindle Version, 6 Jun 2014

The Kindle book though isn't very good. There's no contents, bookmarks just say bookmark, I have 10 bookmarks and I have no idea which recipe or section they belong to. It's nicely presented and easy to read on my 9 inch tablet but no contents or index with links embded means scrolling to index, finding recipe then getting to said page, or just scrolling and scrolling...other cookery books have been set up far better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Healthy Eating Recipe book, 9 May 2013
Ravenschild (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is the best healthy eating recipe book that I have come across. The recipes contain few ingredients (& ones that aren't too expensive, unlike many other similar books) & they are easy to make - yet really lovely. Although I am a vegetarian (There are a few salmon, tuna & prawn recipes), there was an abundance of really healthy veggie recipes. Already a firm favourite

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 24 April 2013
Received this book last week and enjoying working our way through the recipes....all have been fantastic and very well enjoyed! Would recommend the book to friends and planning on giving it as a gift as well. No criticism to make, just wish there were more recipes as enjoying them so much! Will have to look for other books he has written I suppose!

The Medicinal Chef: Eat Your Way to Better Health
The Medicinal Chef: Eat Your Way to Better Health by Dale Pinnock (Hardcover - 28 Feb 2013)
7.59