5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST GUIDE TO COLOUR

3.0 out of 5 stars Colour Now
Published on 13 Jun 2010 by P. Kettle

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST GUIDE TO COLOUR, 22 Jun 2009
pale rider (Truro, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I can't believe that no-one else has ever come up with such a simple and useful book! This is a selection of 67 colour 'palettes' showing you exactly what different colours work together - and explaining why. Each palette is illustrated with a beautiful 'roomset' giving one an idea of how these colours might work in a real setting. It takes all the pain out of choosing colour and it really works. I have used palette 5 and palette 18 to terrific effect. The book is small and user -friendly so you can take it with you to the shop and the colour reproduction is incredibly true. I recommend it to anyone wanting to redecorate and unsure of their taste!

3.0 out of 5 stars Colour Now, 13 Jun 2010
P. Kettle (England) - See all my reviews
This book is not a manual as I had hoped it might be, but a collection of very individualistic colour combinations. It is somewhat dictatorial and is typical of the mentality that it is feasible (and desirable) to plan everything in a room. For me, this is not realistic as a) I cannot afford to have everything new to fit a particular colour scheme b) I actually like to have some continuity in my life and combine items I already have!

However, having sounded a bit critical, the book does give interesting information about the way colours work and the pages at the back are useful although you have to be willing to only use the Fired Earth palatte (it does give a way of finding those colours produced by other manufacturers. Woe betide anyone naff enough to want to use a bright, artificial colour!

4.0 out of 5 stars Design By Numbers, 23 Aug 2009
This book relates Kevin's created colour palettes to paints supplied by Fired Earth (you don't need to only use these paints). You can use this book simply to search the pages for a colour scheme that you want to use in your home. It will stop the two colour scheme often seen - cream/browm or black/white if, like me, you tend to fall into this category. What it doesn't help with is the proportion of these colours in the room although the pictures give an idea. He does say finding textiles for the room first then matching paint is still the easiest way to acheive a coherent scheme. An idea is to pile everything you have for a room then go through the book to find a matching palette. You don't have to use all the colours in a scheme. If this is all you want to do I don't think you need his other book.

2.0 out of 5 stars The old edition is more useful, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Kevin McCloud's Colour Now: An Expert Guide to Choosing Colour for Your Home (Paperback)
The two star rating is for the 2012 edition.
I'd give the 2009 edition 5 stars, because not only is it an excellent guide to which colours work together and why, but it includes a numbered grid of all the colours used in the book, grouped into families. This is very useful when you want to choose an alternative to one or more colours in a palette, or choose your own palette using the guidelines given in the book.
In the 2012 edition, the colour grid is reproduced without any numbering, rendering this page useless. I think this is because these were Fired Earth numbers and they no longer use this numbering system. All mention of Fired Earth, (apart from the colour names), has been removed from the 2012 edition, although the colours are still available ( NB I haven't checked all of them!). You don't have to use Fired Earth paints to make use of this book, though. You could match the book swatches to other commercial paint charts, or have paint mixed to match, and some of the colours in a palette will come from other sources; flooring, soft furnishings, etc.
The 2012 edition is still an entertaining guide to colour but there is no new content. One good point is that the book is larger so the swatches are slightly bigger. I prefer the 2009 edition, though, so I have ordered a second hand copy and returned this 2012 edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 13 Dec 2009
A. CRAIG (UK) - See all my reviews
Thanks.....a great inspiration and valuable reference. I came across this book in the local library, and after re-stamping it a few times decided that I had to buy it. My only reservation concerns the quality of the paper used, but I wonder if the rough/mat texture may give a better 'real-life' presentation of the colours.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Jan 2011
Virginia (Issaquah, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Well, I love Kevin McCloud. Love Grand Designs and I thought this book would be good. Being a student in interior design, I believed it would be useful for my study but it doesn't explain much. You just have different palettes of colours with an explanation. I think I was expecting a bit more.

4.0 out of 5 stars As described, 3 Feb 2014
Exactly as described, just right. Didn't need a brand new book so this copy was just what I wanted. Great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Usful book, 13 Nov 2013
I am not very good at knowing what colours to put together in home decorating. This book is a really useful guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars I luv Kevin, 9 Aug 2013
I am absolutely useless with colours and needed help, I'm a great fan of Kevin Mcloud and trust his judgement. This book inspired me as soon as I opened it. If you are like me with colours then this book is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, 4 July 2013
Bought for son who is decorating new home. He said, 'what a great pressie, he had no idea about colour before and it has inspired him'.

Kevin McCloud's Colour Now: An Expert Guide to Choosing Colour for Your Home