5.0 out of 5 stars lovely tempting book, especially for kale lovers
This is a gorgeous book, and irresistible to a christmas book obsessive such as myself. It will also appeal to anyone who really, really loves kale, for reasons to be discussed below. Written by distinguished Danish cookery writer Trine Hahnemann, it gives a lot of culinary detail as well as a bit of a flavour of a Danish christmas (I do wonder whether the blanket...
Published 20 months ago by emma who reads a lot

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely idea but you'll be online more than in the kitchen
I got this book with the sole hope that one day Sandi Toksvig might become my best friend and I can dazzle her with Scandinavian cuisine. Plus I really love Scandinavian culture and cooking (Andreas Viestad for example) and thought a twist on Christmas is always welcome
The book itself is beautiful, the accompanying pictures are of a beautiful quality and there are...
Published 20 months ago by James Walls

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Recipes only, not a complete guide, 28 Nov 2012
Emma W (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Scandinavian Christmas (Hardcover)
This book is presented really nicely; the hardback cover is one of those squishy, slightly padded ones you get these days and the photographs all feel like they have been taken in the weak sunlight of a scandinavian winter.

This is very much a cookery book rather than a complete guide to Christmas, so you won't find any natty little wreath or tree decoration ideas. Most of the ingredients are fairly normal, there are some you might not routinely buy (like cardamon pods and pomegranates) but you should be able to get hold of most stuff without too much trouble, but there are a few that might be more tricky like soft Danish nougat and lingonberries. It feels a little like it has been tweaked to suit UK tastes - more meat and marzipan, less herring and black bread than I was expecting, but I still don't feel inspired to make many of the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative of the season, 27 Nov 2012
Thinker (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Trine has written many interesting and delicious sounding recipes perfect for the winter months and especially Christmas.
I was impressed when I first saw the book as it is not too large, but padded cover and as you flick through the pages there is lots of recipes and lots of winter photo's, very Christmas/snow time style. So if you like a cookbook for this time of year that really sets the season it could be this one, good for fans of Diana Henry's 'Roast Figs, Sugar Snow' book, but with less writing than Diana does.

Trine does talk of her traditions and the book is set out in various chapters so you have interesting sections -for instance, food to make for presents, Advent recipes, plus more.
Party recipes, also lovely looking bread recipes and I am as we speak trying out the Vanilla cookies recipe, it makes 80, could be in the kitchen for some time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great option for Christmas, 17 Oct 2012
Ash - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book has a veritable glut of different recipes all of which have a christmassy theme and add a whole new array of different ideas for snacks, drinks and foods for both Chrstmas and all year.

The book is well made with a nice hardback cover and good quality paper used throughout. The content matches the physical quality of the book with good descriptions, clear instructions and relevant and attractive photos which whilst obviously showing the food at its best, still shows something that is achievable even for someone who only has modest kitchen skills.

As for the recipes themselves, many of them have a familiar look with many of the spices similar to those used in other traditional christmas recipes, but the great thing about the recipes in this book, is that they add a new twist on many of these flavours, and in some cases bring them to a whole new level. There are also a few more unique flavours and recipes which may be a bit hit and miss but are certainly fun to try.

The only real downside I've noticed with this book is that some of the more unusual recipes are a little hard to find, and whilst alternatives are sometimes given, they are not necessarily any easier to find in local shops or supermarkets. It is a relatively minor issue but one that can be a bit frustrating when you see a really interesting recipe only to then have to spend time searching for a suitable alternative for a single ingredient.

Apart from that, however, this is a great recipe book and would certainly be a treat for anyone who like christmas or cooking, or both.

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern Danish Christmas, 6 Oct 2012
THVN (Scandinavia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scandinavian Christmas (Hardcover)
First of all - if I could give this book 3.5* I would because 4* feels too generous (but I didn't want to be mean and give it 3*). It's better than average but it's not a great book.

The first thing I noticed is that the title is misleading. I am married to a Scandinavian and we live in another Scandinavian country so I know quite a lot about the Christmas traditions of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland. The recipes in this book are mostly Danish. Many can be considered Norwegian because the two cuisines have a lot in common, some are somewhat Swedish, and very little are Finnish. Also, most savoury recipes use traditional ingredients but the recipes themselves are not very traditional. They may be a part of the author's traditions, but they're not what you will find in most Scandinavian homes. Modern, healthier and sophisticated are three words that came to my mind when I was flipping through the Festive Brunch, Christmas Party, and The Christmas Eve Feast chapters. I should not be surprised considering the previous books the author has written, but it was a bit disappointing. I doubt I will ever use the three chapters I just mentioned because to me Christmas is synonymous with comfort food and old classics.

I don't mind using a lot of butter, cream and sugar during the holiday season. Instead of two kale salads, I wish the author had given us a traditional creamed kale recipe. Also there are many salad recipes, but no soups. That's just not very logical to me and it's sad because there are so many great soups in Scandinavia (spinach and hard boiled eggs, cream of cauliflower, Bergen fish soup, split peas and ham,...). Her Christmas ham is far from the traditional ham most Swedes and Finns enjoy on Christmas Eve. The cured lamb chops are nothing like Norwegian pinnekjøtt. The caramel potatoes and the red cabbage could not be more traditional and I can't wait to try them. I wish there were more recipes like these two.

The Gifts From The Kitchen chapter is great and I will be trying many recipes (gløgg extract, redcurrant jelly, blackcurrant jam,...). I also really like the Christmas Day Smörgåsbord chapter (rye bread, marinated fried herring, fried plaice with rémoulade, liver pâté, meatballs, pickled beetroot,...). Just for those two chapters the book is worth buying. The cookies, pastries and cakes are nice, but since there are so little Finnish recipes, how difficult would it have been to include Finnish Christmas star pastries, the one recipe every single Finn enjoys during Christmas time? And as someone previously mentioned it, there is no vegetarian main dish. But that's Scandinavia...

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book. The pictures are gorgeous and there are some lovely recipes. As long as you keep in mind that the recipes are more suited for a modern Danish Christmas, you'll be a happy customer.

Finally, I would recommend buying this book AND Ernst Kirchsteiger's book Swedish Christmas Traditions: A Smorgasbord of Scandinavian Recipes, Crafts, and Other Holiday Delights if you want a more complete collection of recipes to prepare a traditional Scandinavian Christmas feast. Kirchsteiger's ham recipe is more traditional and it comes with a mustard recipe to serve with it. It's also full of crafts and decoration ideas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure luxury, 4 Oct 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book's really going to help you develop those new Christmas traditions, offering something a bit different (for a UK baker), but still chiming with familiar comforts.
The look and feel of the book is great: a nice tactile squashy cover on the hardback, and nicely photographed. The fonts are a bit all over the place, but Christmas is about chucking it all in, I suppose.
The facts: recipes are divided into breads, cakes, cookies, chutneys, jellies and jams, vinegars, chocolate and gløgg before diving into the key 'events' of christmas, Festive Brunch, Christmas party, the Christmas Eve Feast and the Christmas Day Smörgåsbord.
A lot of the recipes are very simple, and definitely worth having a crack at through November just to get your eye in.
There's a slightly scary amount of fish going on (three kinds of pickled herring!), so that's the most unusual twist to a UK Christmas. Other savouries are divided by portion, so you can use your creativity in putting it all together.
Obviously, there's plenty of delicious bread and pastry going on: I got slightly annoyed by the condescending "We don't use dried yeast in Scandinavia" attitude. I've no doubt fresh yeast is better, but if I can't get it, I don't need to be snooted at.
If like me you're stooping to use the fast-action dried yeast from the supermarket, use 1% of your basic flour weight (so 5g for 500g of flour).
But let's not fall out over this -- I love this book: I'm going to pop on Fanny & Alexander and have a smashing Scandi Christmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic and unusual book, 1 Oct 2012
sam155 (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Scandinavian Christmases are different from ours. They seem to last all month for one thing and their Christmas fare doesn't seem to involve turkey or mince pies anywhere.

This is a delightful and different book with wonderful illustrations that certainly got me into a Christmassy mood with its snow scenes and recipe for Glogg.

Some of the ingredients are a little hard to come by, but you can order them online if you've a mind to. There are a lot of spiced cookie and yeast recipes, and some good gift ideas.

Overall, a lovely book as the nights draw in. I'm not sure that I will be ordering loganberries in especially, but I may try some of the delicious vanilla cookies and will almost certainly be making Glogg (mulled wine)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect addition to any cookbook collection, 11 Nov 2012
Jason Jesson "Jason J" (Yorkshire, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Eagerly awaited, this publication is more than just a cookbook. The author - Trine Hahnemann opens with the most apt quote 'Playing in the snow, enjoying warm drinks, baking and being with the people you love - that is Christmas'. That is certainly the theme throughout this refreshing book.

A note must be made commenting firstly on both the visual quality and physical feel of this book. It's a padded, wipe down hardback, making it very useful in the working kitchen.

The book covers highly visually appealing and tempting components to form snacks, cakes, meals, party drinks and even gifts from the kitchen. I was especially drawn to drinks such as 'Loganberry Gin Fizz' and 'Glogg'.

Just these two additions alone would create superb talking points over a jolly dining table, perhaps even a themed event.

Looking at the level of skill needed to create many of the goodies on offer here, I would say that with the right cutters and a general passion for creativity would be enough to master much on offer here. The Christmas period is of course often very time restricted, so the easier yet more visually appealing the better - something this book has lots to offer.

Finally, a quick mention to all those lovers of true winter comfort food. Rice pudding with hot cherry sauce and chocolate almond ring cake are in here - how tempting is that!

A pleasure to read, plan and devour!

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing alternative for Christmas Fayre, 28 Sep 2012
Scott A. Mckenzie (Selkirk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are only so many variations for Christmas Cake and Mince Pie recipes, so this Scandinavian version provides new inspiration. Some of the flavours are familiar but others are totally unique. The recipes are generally easy to follow, but a few of the ingredients would be hard to find - that's my only criticism. In particular, the glogg recipe is perfect for those who have ever been to Sweden in December and makes a lovely change from our over spiced mulled wine ! The cookie section is also wonderful and extremely easy - start here and gain confidence !

4.0 out of 5 stars Very different and festive. One for the adventurous chefs!, 22 Nov 2012
Mrenshaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very seasonal book (obviously!) and the author is very passionate about both cooking and Christmas - she even mentions she takes holidays in December to get the most out of the festive period.

The book cover is glossy and slightly padded which makes it feel a bit odd. Inside the book, each page is also in full colour with a recipe and picture and ingredient list. There is often the odd personal piece in how the author does certain events like Christmas eve, etc.

Some of the recipes are very different such as caramel potatoes and rice pudding with red cherry sauce, glog (mulled wine!) and pepper cookies. These are really quite excellent when made and not what I expected at all.

Some of the ingredients and tools may not easily be available in the UK, but most can be found on Amazon, or if not then a simple substitution can usually be made.

It's worth a tenner and would make a good stocking filler for those who like cooking and especially for those who like unusual treats!

Not what I thought but recommended for Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Xmas scandi-style, 10 Nov 2012
Ann Fairweather (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must confess that I am not a great cook myself, but could not resist the look of this delightful nordic Christmas cookbook. With the third season of the 'Killing' starting any minute on tv again, I thought some festive, wintery meals inspired by a expert danish cook was perfect timing. I was not disappointed when opening this lavish book. The illustrations are sleek rather twee, and all the better for it. I haven't gone as far as trying out a recipe yet -not very good I know- but just reading the recipes and looking at the pictures makes me thoroughly hungry. The padded covers make it a very tactile, lovely book to handle at long lengths. If a few recipes seem a little complex, the great majority are simple, approchable and with salivating-looking results. I like also that the book deals with all aspects of food, starters, salads, mains, desserts, drinks, preserves, nothing is left out. This is possibly the most comprehensive Christmas food book you might find, and who could resist a very Nordic Christmas? A very timely, atmospheric present to yourself or to a friend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›

Scandinavian Christmas
Scandinavian Christmas by Trine Hahnemann (Hardcover - 27 Sep 2012)