5.0 out of 5 stars lovely tempting book, especially for kale lovers
This is a gorgeous book, and irresistible to a christmas book obsessive such as myself. It will also appeal to anyone who really, really loves kale, for reasons to be discussed below. Written by distinguished Danish cookery writer Trine Hahnemann, it gives a lot of culinary detail as well as a bit of a flavour of a Danish christmas (I do wonder whether the blanket...
Published 20 months ago by emma who reads a lot

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely idea but you'll be online more than in the kitchen
I got this book with the sole hope that one day Sandi Toksvig might become my best friend and I can dazzle her with Scandinavian cuisine. Plus I really love Scandinavian culture and cooking (Andreas Viestad for example) and thought a twist on Christmas is always welcome
The book itself is beautiful, the accompanying pictures are of a beautiful quality and there are...
Published 21 months ago by James Walls

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and different, 30 Oct 2012
Mark Shackelford "mark shackelford" (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
What a beautiful book!

A Scandinavian christmas introduces us to recipes for Christmas - with a difference.
My wife's family is part Danish (from a few generations ago) and she is keen to try out some of these on us - to bring back some of the Scandinavian Christmas feel that she remembers from her youth (like having the presents on Christmas Eve).

Well presented, with glorious pictures and mouth-watering recipes - bring on the festive season!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful slice of Yuletide!, 20 Oct 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow! What an absolutely sublime book! I've been flicking through this regularly ever since it arrived and making plans to cook aaallll the recipes over this Yuletide period. Ranging from cookies and breads to chutneys, vinegars and dressings, sweets, cookies and savoury dishes for snacks, starters and main meals, this book is absolutely chock full of recipes that will delight the whole family. Ther are also snipppets of folklore and legends, and a plethora of delightful photographs! I plan to experiment with these recipes extensively this christmas and probably for the next few as well. Definitely a keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful little book, 18 Oct 2012
P. Keeling (midlands) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great recipes, lovely photos, really well put together and one happy wife. This book is great and introduces a new way to enjoy Christmas, with original recipes and ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars For lovers of all things scandinavian!, 4 Oct 2012
Lilly Penhaligon (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't sure what to expect as this book initially looked to be a cross between recipe book and arts/crafts book but it is definitely a recipe book with some beautiful arty/crafty pictures included. I loved the puffy feel to the hard covering and the pictures, although quite dark, are absolutely beautiful and fit the Christmas theme perfectly.

There are a lot of recipes to choose from all sorts from cakes, biscuits and breads to a lot of fish-based dishes. Although I love scandinavian style cooking this may not appeal to a wide audience and certainly some of the less mainstream ingredients such as the pickled herrings did not always fare well with my diners. That aside if you love scandinavian style living and would like to include a scandy flavour to your cooking and your Christmas, this is the perfect book and it's the perfect time to get it as you will have plenty of time to practice the recipes so you can be flawless by Christmas. All in all a great buy and definitely one for the collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars very different., 3 Oct 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are some fantastic recipies and ideas within this book. The one thing i struggled with was getting hold of some of the spices and other ingrediants that the book suggests - though that's more of a complaint about British supermarkets than the recipies!

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfort, candles, cookies and celebrations, 26 Nov 2012
K. Wright - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
More of a coffee table book than a traditional cookbook, 'Scandinavian Christmas,' is filled full of beautiful wintery photography and festive anecdotes from author Trine Hahnemann. However, it only for the serious cook with lots of time to spend baking breads, canning chutneys and pickling herrings and so I don't think I will be ordering any lingonberries or purchasing an ębleskiver pan any time soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just enough good recipes to be worth looking at after Christmas, 13 Nov 2012
Pardo (Kent) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm always a bit sceptical of event themed cookbooks - especially if, like this one, they are very beautifully packaged. However, this one is well worth a look, particularly if you have a soft spot for all things Scandi. Despite my Danish brother-in-law's best efforts I'm still not convinced about butter on porridge (although this recipe uses pudding rice instead of oats which may make the butter less "wrong", but I'm not going to try it!) however, there are some very nice recipes in here for spiced biscuits and cakes as well as a few savoury dishes I might have a crack at.

On the down side I do get annoyed by preachy cookery writers who say things like "40 g of fresh yeast (or 15 g of dried yeast if you really have to!)". Also there are some recipes that will take a bit of forward planning if you want to have them for Christmas - elderflower cordial, and blackcurrant jam, for instance (although doing a few things like that in the summer with Christmas in mind is quite fun.

I was toying with a three star rating but having had one more look through it I can seen enough recipes that are worth looking at to justify a fourth.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not to everyone's taste, 29 Oct 2012
Sue C. (Bucks) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved the feel of this book and the lovely photographs which put you in the mood for Christmas. Some of the biscuits and cakes look inviting (particularly the ring cake) but I did find some of the recipes disappointing - recipes for sweets simply used a combination of bought ingredients and even the ring cake used bought marzipan. Some recipes use ingredients that are not readily available, e.g. sea buckthorn berries!! If you are fed up with traditional Christmas fare and fancy something completely different, then this book may be for you, but herrings and rice pudding don't do it for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 26 Sep 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The release of this book is very timely, given the current vogue for all things Scandi. This book is chock-full of traditional Scandinavian Christmas recipes, from party food to Christmas day feasts and gift ideas. It's nicely designed and the instructions are easy to follow. As a vegetarian, there's a limit on the savoury dishes I could make but I'm more than happy to concentrate on all the lovely biscuits and cakes. There are some specialist ingredients used in various recipes, but in all the cases I could find there were suggestions of alternatives which are easier to find in the UK. This isn't a book I'd use all year round, but I'll certainly use it over the festive period. I can almost smell the cinnamon now.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit complicated for a novice like me!, 17 Oct 2012
C. Frost "Charlie Frost" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst this book is nicely presented, I didn't get much out of it. The first section is all based on bakery, which would be good if you are an adept baker who wants to challenge yourself with new recipes (I'm not!). The cookery part quite often used ingredients I'm unfamilliar with, such as ligonberries and quinces, and lots of fish recipes. These are probably very authentic and if you've travelled to that part of the world, you may be more familliar with this type of cuisine. However, there weren't any recipes that looked appetising enough for me to want to make the effort to challenge myself. I am aware I may not be the book's target audience, but I do like to try new cusines and unfortunately I did not feel inspired by this one.

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 | Next ›

Scandinavian Christmas
Scandinavian Christmas by Trine Hahnemann (Hardcover - 27 Sep 2012)