5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, fun and fresh patterns
This book is really cute and full of fun patterns for the modern knitter. The opening 'how to knit' pages have clear instructions with actual photographs of someone demonstrating step-by-step how to cast on, knit, purl etc - much clearer than the diagrams I've seen in some other books.

There are a few beginner-friendly patterns - a striped scarf and matching...
Published 22 months ago by beccalikesbooks

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published 14 months ago by E. Hayton

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, fun and fresh patterns, 9 Sep 2012
beccalikesbooks (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Learn to Knit, Love to Knit (Paperback)

There are a few beginner-friendly patterns - a striped scarf and matching mittens made of quick-knitting chunky wool, both with pompoms; the bright and cheery fingerless gloves shown on the front cover; and a very on-trend, unisex, chunky bobble hat.

However, although a beginner would definitely learn the right skills from these patterns, I feel that the rest of the book is a bit too much of a leap for an absolute beginner and might be a bit too daunting, as it is made up of a range of jumpers and cardigans (which are a big task for a slow, novice knitter), and more complicated accessories such as a lace collar, a cabled hat and polka dot socks (so cute, I want to make these right away!).

I would therefore recommend this book to the more intermediate beginner (and beyond) - if you're already confident with the basics and want to develop more skills, then this would be perfect to inspire you to go further. For example, if you're ready to try changing colours but terrified by the full-on Fair Isle Rib Tanktop, then the Fair Isle Band Sweater (which is made of just two colour blocks joined by a band of Fair Isle) might do the trick.

The jumpers and cardigan are nicely up-to-date - not like the jumpers your grandma would knit for you! (Sorry grandmas). My favourite is the Simple Round-Neck Sweater with Raglan Sleeves as I struggle to find patterns this chic and basic; this one is so simple, I'm sure it will never date. There's also a cute and colourful Random Stripe Sweater, a Cropped Cable-knit Cardigan, a College Style Cardigan / varsity jacket - a lovely touch of Americana.

All in all, I'm very much looking forward to making lots of the patterns from this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 8 May 2013
E. Hayton "Lizzie" (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learn to Knit, Love to Knit (Paperback)
I agree with the comments re the photographs. There are some lovely items in here but was disappointed to start the fair isle jumper to find that the pattern was wrong. Thanks to the reaches of social media I contacted Anna directly and eventually got the correct pattern but this really put me off my stroke as I am a vulnerable knitter. I would worry about attempting other patterns in case they had errors too especially as yarn can be very expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bags of joy!, 23 Oct 2013
Aleksandra J. (Co. Meath, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learn to Knit, Love to Knit (Paperback)
Anna Wilkinson is amazing designer - I absolutely love this book of beautiful ideas for small and not-that-small knitting projects. I am only a beginner knitter and i was already able to make a pair of lovely blue-grey hands warmers in one day! My fiance loves them, says they look classy. I find them practical and more like must-must-to-have garment when you drive a car in the cold weather country. Or if you wish to avoid blisters from using the clutches. I have started to knit fair isle sweater and i cant wait to see how it is going to come out. Great book, lovely photographs, bags of joy! Highly recommended! P.S. I have stared to follow Anna on FaceBook, she is one creative lady!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Learn to Knit, Love to Knit (Paperback)
Full of bright colour, up to date and lovely projects to get you going. As with most books, has a bit that shows equipment and basic stitches, then a bit on how to do cables. Projects are: Pom Pom scarf and mittens, shopping bag, fingerless 'wrist warmers' chunky bobble hat, Muff and collar, round neck jumper, cropped cardigan, lace collar, lace top, striped jumper, American Fratt style cardigan (like something you would see in Grease the film), pretty cardigan with floral embroidery, short sleeved jumper, Fair Isle tank top, beret style hat and neck warmer thing, spotty socks, tartan top with 3/4 sleeves and a beautiful tweed cape thing which is way beyond my beginner knitting skills but can't wait to get good so I can knit it!

All projects have a fun retro feel, bright juicy colours. Great inspiration.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photographs but not much for an average knitter to knit, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Learn to Knit, Love to Knit (Paperback)
I agree this book has beautiful photographs and some aspirational patterns for experienced knitters but aside from the mittens on the front and a pom pom scarf which was not to my taste, there is not much for the average knitter (by that I mean beginner/intermediate) to make unless you are a fan of knitted collars...

Granted there is a good section on learning how to knit and in the Love to Knit section there are some unique pieces, the tartan top for example was amazing, but I expect to make or at least want to make four or more items from any knitting book I purchase and I did not find this the case with this book. It teaches you how to knit and then showcases items which only an advanced knitter could make so for me too much of a leap from learn to love with not enough in between patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring , colourful modern knits, 4 May 2013
Linda K. Robinson (Northants, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learn to Knit, Love to Knit (Paperback)
A lovely book , inspiration abounds with knitable garments that are contempory and easy to knit . The handwarmers on the cover are a joy to knit , quick easy and great for beginners and those with little time wanting an easy project to knit . Well laid out with good illustrations and instructions that are straightforward to follow and adapt for yourself . A lovely book for yourself or to give someone who desires to progress with knitting in a modern way

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Learn to Knit, Love to Knit (Paperback)
This is the most lovely knitting book I've ever owned! I'm one of those people who has knotted a hundred scarves but always been too intimidated by patterns to try anything else.
Within a couple of weeks of receiving it as a gift I've knitted 2 sets of the gloves on the cover and have just finished a bobble hat (so feeling a bit smug! : ) The patterns are well explained and are things you'd actually want to wear for once! If I had to pick a fault (and it's a tiny one) I'd say keep an eye on the wool quantities it recommends. So far everything I've made has used about a quarter if nOt less of the wool it advises to buy. But still, better than not having enough!

3.0 out of 5 stars Clear Descriptions, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Learn to Knit, Love to Knit (Paperback)
I am new to knitting so wanted something that would help me gain confidence. This is a nice colourful book with a good range of patterns and clear explanations. Oddly though there weren't many things I felt compelled to make from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying the book., 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Learn to Knit, Love to Knit (Paperback)
The book arrived very quickly. I am enjoying making some of the projects and would recomend it to all knitters.

5.0 out of 5 stars knit book, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Learn to Knit, Love to Knit (Paperback)
I was very pleased with the book bought for my daughters birthday - a fun book with lots of ideas!

Learn to Knit, Love to Knit
Learn to Knit, Love to Knit by Anna Wilkinson (Paperback - 27 Sep 2012)
5.25