5.0 out of 5 stars Every recipe is delicious!
Published on 5 Oct. 2012 by Mrs Curzon Tussaud

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for the price but not the classic it is often made out to be.
It's not quite the classic I expected after hearing about it.

It does actually seem quite dated and of it's era and a bunch of stuff I just don't think is worth trying but some of it is pretty good and some good ideas and recipes but not quite deserving of it's reputation.
Published 9 months ago by Mr. S. G. Sheppard

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Every recipe is delicious!, 5 Oct. 2012
Mrs Curzon Tussaud (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marvellous Meals with Mince (Hardcover)
Back in the 70s and 80s, Sainsbury's produced an excellent series of small paperback cookbooks intended to be sold from beside the tills. One of my treasures is a shelf of these little gems in the kitchen, and indeed I now see that I have three copies of one of these titles; Marvellous meals with mince. No doubt I lent copies out, forgot who had them, and decided to replace; at 75p a pop it didn't exactly break the bank.

Josceline's book, A Taste of Dreams, was the book which really got me going in the kitchen. She introduced me to the concept of rose water, of using spices like cumin and coriander to zhoozh up weekday dishes like cottage pie. She spent her childhood in the Middle East, and these flavours were as standard in her cookery palate as salt and pepper are in ours. If you watched Nigella earlier in the week, you'll have seen her "meatzza"; a pizza made with a base of minced meat not dough, and the usual cheese and tomato on top. Well, the credit for that should go to Jossy. She had a recipe for quiche which had a tart case made out of well-seasoned minced meat, baked off, and then the vegetable filling cooked inside it.

My copy of the revamped MMWM arrived yesterday, and tonight for supper M and I are going to have the chicken roulade: a large rich single pancake baked in the oven and then wrapped around a filling of minced chicken, and cooked again. No minced chook in M&S today, so I'm taking the filling down a slightly different route with minced pork and lardons instead.

One of the Amazon reviews I've read said that the writer was buying 12 copies as Christmas presents. Please be assured that there'll be 12 very happy people come Christmas Day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled this has been re-issued!, 28 Sept. 2012
J. Burton (Watford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marvellous Meals with Mince (Hardcover)
For years, this was my go-to book for feeding my family well and economically. It finally became so battered and stained as to be something of a health hazard, so I binned it and have regretted that ever since. Now I can have a lovely new hardback! Grateful to this week's issue of "The Lady" for mentioning the re-issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookery, 13 Jan. 2010
A lovely little book - very much used (by my children also) quick delivery in very good condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book!, 27 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Marvellous Meals with Mince (Hardcover)
I bought this book because as a soon to be first time mum I thought a book about mince would be particularly useful given that I remember eating so much of it when I was young and my mum always having Tupperware pots full of it in the freezer.
When reading the introduction and flicking through the pages I kept thinking of people who would like the recipes... my mum and aunties who remember the book from first time around, my brothers and sisters who have young children and my cousins at university living on tight budgets. I know it's a bit early to be thinking about Christmas but I've just bought 12 further copies as presents. I'm really pleased with them - such nice pressies and such a bargain! Also, along with other various meats there are even dishes with chicken and fish - it never occurred to me to mince either. This is a great book, I would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous tool for the kitchen, 25 May 2011
This book was bought as a gift for a young girl starting out on her own house - I've had my copy for years and used lots of the recipes - a Godsend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, 13 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Marvellous Meals with Mince (Hardcover)
I was brought up on this book - Jossy is my Mum. It is a brilliant thing for anyone raising a family on a budget or sending a child away from home for the first time. Despite first being published in 1982 the recipes are so modern. I recently cooked a version of the cheese stuffed meatballs in here on BBC's Saturday Kitchen. It is packed with tasty, cheap dishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful edition to my cookery book collection, 26 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Marvellous Meals with Mince (Hardcover)
I am pleased I made this purchase as there are so many recipes which are tasty and nourishing but do not cost a fortune

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't resist it!, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Marvellous Meals with Mince (Hardcover)
I still have my copy of the original - well used, stained, and at the forefront of my excessively large collection of cookbooks. However, flicking through this one,I loved the way she has updated some of the recipes, and the new ones are interesting too. Atlas Mountain Soup is better than ever. Have already ordered more for friends. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars User Friendly Recipes, 8 Nov. 2012
Patricia Geary "Francelover" (South West France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marvellous Meals with Mince (Hardcover)
A very useful book! Lots of delicious practical recipes, without too many exotic difficult-to-find ingredients. I have done several of the recipes now and they have all been easy-to-do, not fussy, and make for relaxed confident cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous Meals with Mince, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Marvellous Meals with Mince (Hardcover)
Great to have this book back, I gave it away in the eighties. Already (re) tried some of Joceline Dimbleby's failproof recipies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Marvellous Meals with Mince
Marvellous Meals with Mince by Josceline Dimbleby (Hardcover - 13 Sept. 2012)