5.0 out of 5 stars Healthier Indian Cooking Made Simple
I love curries and have bought 2 or 3 curry recipe books already in my quest to be able to recreate a good take away curry in my own kitchen.

Published on 14 Aug 2007 by Binka

2.0 out of 5 stars may be easy but not very tasty...
I received this as a present recently and unfortunately was not very impressed. I am of bangladeshi origin and like to try new recipes from south asia. Tried a couple of the recipes (oven- fried chilli chicken and spinach with tomatoes) and they did not taste good at all! Also surprised by the lack of onion and the excessive use of ginger in most dishes. As far as I am...
Published on 25 April 2009 by Monira Rahman

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthier Indian Cooking Made Simple, 14 Aug 2007
Binka - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Indian Food Made Easy (Paperback)

I've bought this book and tried 2 recipes already and have to say they're very close to the real thing. The recipes are simple to follow and use ingredients that you should be able to get in your supermarket. You don't need to be an expert cook to follow the recipes. The main bonus for me is that you know whats going in your meal and the recipes are healthier than what I suspect goes in a takeaway curry.

It isn't all curry though, plenty of starters, side dishes and other dishes. There are chapters on snacks, seafood, poultry, meat, vegetables, lentils and beans, rice and breads, chutney, desserts and drinks. I'd thoroughly recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent update to an old favourite!, 24 Sep 2007
S. O'SHEA (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Indian Food Made Easy (Paperback)
I have a very old dog-eared copy of a BBC Madhur Jaffrey cookery book from years ago which I often use, but Anjum Anand's new book is an excellent modern day version, with more attention to eating healthily. There is less oil, for example, in most of her recipes.
The recipes themselves are well laid out, easy to follow and beautifully photographed, so you can appreciate what the end result should look like.
So far I have made the bengal gram curry, the avial, the chicken wraps, naan bread and a lamb curry and everything has been easy and delicious. We also drrank the strawberry lassi in the summer, which I much preferred to a smoothie.
I am lucky to live near Indian grocers, but there is a lot of information about how to buy unusual items over the internet and more details about these ingredients.
If you love Indian food and enjoy cooking I can thoroughly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, 23 Aug 2007
This review is from: Indian Food Made Easy (Paperback)
I love Indian food but find it quite hard to recreate at home. This book makes it easy! I have already made two recipes (much to my husband's delight) and think it makes Indian cooking really accessible to people who are novices with spices etc.
Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully produced, passionate book, 4 Feb 2008
This review is from: Indian Food Made Easy (Paperback)
From the front cover flap (and not in the Amazon description at the time of writing):

'Indian Food Made Easy accompanies the BBC TV series in which Anjum Anand creates delicious Indian food that is light, healthy and bursting with flavour. Anjum is passionate about using fresh, local and seasonal produce, and all the ingredients are readily available in supermarkets. All Anjum's recipes are easy to follow and use simple cooking methods. Her dishes range from quick snacks to slow-cooked curries, and from breakfast dishes to easy midweek suppers.
All the recipes from the TV series and more are included in this book......and throughout there are tips and techniques to make cooking Indian food easy.
The book begins with guidance on using the various spices and advises you on the store-cupboard basics, while a useful glossary demystifies any unfamiliar ingredients.
If you have ever wanted to try cooking Indian food, this is the book for you.'

Personally, I have never been terribly confident in my ability with Indian cooking, but this book did inspire me to branch out in this direction...and discipline myself into giving plenty of time for the marinade stage! I have to admit to first class success with the 'Succulent Chicken Tikka Wraps', 'Tandoori Lamb Wraps' and the divine and very delicate 'Potato and Pea Samosas', the latter being achieved by taking Anjum's advice to simplify and lighten the recipe by 'using shop-bought filo pastry!

160 high quality pages, spilt into main chapters:

6. Lentils and Beans
7. Bread and Rice
8. Raitas and Chutneys
9. Drinks and Desserts

with an introduction, brief sections entitled:

* The Indian Kitchen Made Easy
* The Recipes Made Easy

along with a list of suppliers, the glossary and a concise index.

From the introduction:

'.....In the UK, Indian food has been on a journey of evolution. We have moved on from inauthentic creamy, fruity curries and can now easily find tandoori and regional options. But there is still so much to discover.
India is a country that has so much to offer.
It is food that is eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is everyday food; food for children, adults, friends and family.
But every cuisine has all these elements so why has the obvious escaped us for so long?
Why has Indian food been relegated to the upper shelves of book stores - the back bench of the United Nations of Cookery and out of most people's reach for so long?
It has been a long road getting there and a slow but exciting journey, but thankfully we can now experience Indian food the way it was intended, at home.'

Each chapter opens with a 2-page spread of a selection of the recipes contained within, to whet the appetite!
Each recipe is clearly laid out with the number of servings, the list/s of ingredients, the title, the method. and a relevant note, e.g.: getting back to those aforementioned 'Succulent Chicken Tikka Wraps:

'These easy wraps make a perfect light lunch. Don't let the cheese in the marinade throw you - this is an authentic tandoori recipe. Cheese was first introduced as a way to quieten the flavours of the original Tikka for the tourists, the strong flavours being replaced with more delicate spices. The result was so delicious that this has now become a standard tandoori recipe and is found across India. We often make mini versions to serve with pre-dinner drinks, and the chicken is also great served with salad and raita.'

A small taste of the other recipes included:

* Masala Scrambled Eggs
* Mango Smoothie
* Kulfi
* Orange Scented Rice Creams
* Coconut Sweets

Colour photography throughout, with the majority of the main dishes featured.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 13 Aug 2007
This review is from: Indian Food Made Easy (Paperback)
Really tasty recipes made easy - What more could you want. I have only had the book for a 2 days nad have already made 3 of the recipes - all of which turned out great. The instructions are easy to follow and have a great end result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book buy it for a curry or indian food lover today!, 27 Dec 2007
A. Dawud "This Diva Cooks" (Midlands, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Indian Food Made Easy (Paperback)
I bought this book as I loved the TV series and this book hits all the right notes in my kitchen.

I've already cooked a few things out of the book and Anjum's step by step simple way of writing makes this book even more addictive than it should be!

I recommend the Phirni with oranges and nuts (phirni being a sweet dish) as I made it and runaway from making sweet dishes as there usually complicated! My other half isn't a sweets fan but actually liked this dessert.

My personal advice for anyone using the recipes in this book who isn't an experienced cook is to adjust the massalas/salt to you're own preference as the massalas are easily overwelming for someone who's tastebuds are not use to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy Scrummy, 7 Jan 2008
Joanne Davis (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Indian Food Made Easy (Paperback)
This book is wonderful. The recipes are fantastic and the taste of food is amazing.
I try and cook one recipe a week from this book for my husband and i. The Coconut Chicken recipe is our favourite. You put three different types of Coconut in it (dessicated, cream and milk) and you think to yourself whilst cooking it that it is going to be coconut and nothing else, but it isn't you get all different types of flavours it is wonderful.
When i have to reduce the numbers with the recipes i do not reduce the amount of sauce that i have to make and i do find i do not have to much sauce.
Also try the Lamb Burgers. I cook them all off and leave 2 for the next day. I always enjoy the two i have the next day far more than the others i had the previous night. So so tasty.
You would be a fool not to buy this book. The recipes are very easy. Still i was a chef for over 15 years but i do feel everyone will be able to do these recipes with one hand tied behind their backs.
Buy this book. Trust me....

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful 'can't go wrong' book, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Indian Food Made Easy (Paperback)
I really am not the kind of person who often writes reviews but, having bought this book and experienced the wonderful world of cooking that has opened up to me, I felt compelled to write one! Every dish I have made from this book has been straightforward to make and have turned out to look and taste fantastic!!! So OK, some of the spices and ingredients used are not always available from local supermarkets but they are readily obtained from the suppliers listed in the back of the book so getting hold of them is no real biggie! As a result of my experiences so far I am now going to buy more of Anjum Anand's books and continue on my voyage of Indian discovery!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 27 Aug 2007
This review is from: Indian Food Made Easy (Paperback)
I've had this book 2 weeks now and it is quite simply brilliant. Anjum Anand marinates many of her curries overnight - brilliant for those of us who work, prep for 5-10minutes the night before and you have a delectable meal with minimal work the day after. I have never made naan before but have made it 3 times following her recipe - brilliant. I do feel she overdoses on the garam masala and I tend to cut down on this. The only thing I would say puts this book down a little is her advice on salt which is 'to taste'. Most novice cooks have a problem with adding the correct amount so i think she would be better off (like madhur jaffery does) being more specific about the amount.
Recipes I have tried include sweet bengal gram - mouthwatering (i added a tidge of tamarind paste), and curried meatballs again lovely - however i did reduce the garam masala.

5.0 out of 5 stars yum, 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: Indian Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
love some of the receipes in this book. I borrowed it from the library and then just had to have my own copy! I loved the raitas!

Indian Food Made Easy
Indian Food Made Easy by Anjum Anand (Hardcover - 2 Aug 2012)
6.99