Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£15.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this cook book for my mum off Amazon Vine. Due to her really enjoying cooking & being a fan of Anjum Anand's work, this Indian Vegetarian Feast book seemed like a good idea. And my mum has really found the book worthwhile.

After cooking a few recipes from this, she found the instructions clear & concise, with the ingredients easily obtainable from good supermarkets. The recipes on offer here are made all the more enticing thanks to the wonderful pictures accompanying them, and the results themselves are really successful and accurate. When my mum tested the recipes, she found the seasonings (more-or-less) spot-on, with no alterations to the ingredients necessary. Anjum's methods here are absolutely impeccable! You certainly won't go far wrong following them!

In my own opinion (as a non-vegetarian), I certainly didn't miss the meat from the dishes that came out of this book. The meals in here will certainly appeal to both vegetarians & otherwise, and for the meat-eaters, this will make for a most refreshing change indeed. Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast is nothing short of a winning formula for fans & cooks alike. Overall, my mum found this to be an inspirational cookery book, and would recommend it to all.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've always enjoyed eating in Indian restaurants but have never tried cooking Indian food myself. This book seems like a good place to start. It is a beautifully produced book with marvellous photographs of the finished dishes. There is a useful list of ingredients at the beginning of the book and information on making your own paneer which is a soft cheese used in many recipes.

The recipes in this book are arranged under the following headings:
Breakfast and Brunch
Cheese, Pulses and Eggs
Gorgeous Grains
On the Side
Divine Desserts
There are many of the familiar dishes such as Onion Bhajis and Bombay Potatoes but there are plenty of less familiar recipes - or less familiar to me - such as Cannellini bean, ruby chard and quinoa pilaf.

One advantage to making your own curries is that you can make them as hot or mild as you choose and I shall enjoy experimenting to find what suits my taste buds best. The recipes are easy to follow and well laid out on the page. Ingredients and quantities are clearly listed.

If you like vegetarian cookery or Indian food then this is an ideal book for you.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 April 2013
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I haven't really cooked indian food before. I have been to india, indeed it was something I enjoyed very much but never did I bother trying to replicate some of the mouth watering food I was spoilt with whilst in the country.
So this book, well it was a welcome sight.

First off, it is achievable. The food within doesn't always require rare and impossible to find ingredients. Pictures are included with most of the recipes as well as easy to follow instructions. This is very very good.

I can't really fault the recipes I have tried. The stuffed peppers in peanut tamarind sauce were divine and the recipes for making korma curries were equally good.I am quite a fan of the humble aubergine and this book contains a few aubergine recipes I hadn't come across before and there were very good.

One thing I want to point out is that the breakfast and brunch section is really good. I am not going to give it away but suffice to say it is rather surprising and once you've tried them you kind of understand. Just try it.

A brilliant book, the fact is is all vegetarian food actually adds rather than detracts to the overall value of the book.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Some years ago I was a committed carnivore, and insisted on some form of meat, usually a pork product, with every meal. My wife has been carefully weaning me off my unhealthy bacon based diet for the last few years, to the point where I will now go for an entire day without eating meat voluntarily. And the main tool that she has used for this has been the amazing vegetarian food based on the cuisine of India. She maintains that it is the best vegetarian cuisine in the world, and often wonders why people order meat curries in Indian restaurants, where the vegetarian cuisine is not only amazing, but is present in abundance and with a wide variety to suit every palate. And I have to say that I agree with her.

So this is the ideal book for us. It has a huge variety of recipes, for every level of cooking skill, for every meal of the day, for every palate. Anjum Anand clearly has a passion for the food, and encourages you to try things that you wouldn't have previously considered with her enthusiastic writing. Recipes are clearly laid out and easy to follow, and all in all this is an excellent cook book. 5 stars.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A really gorgeous set of vegetarian recipes. Based on a combination of authentic Indian dishes and other maybe more western dishes with an Indian influence. I've cooked maybe eight separate dishes in a relatively short period of time and they are really delicious, healthy as well.
Very easy to adapt to taste preferences also; I don't like ginger so adapt any dishes with the devils root in. There's a useful two page section at the front called 'Indian vegetarian pantry' which lists the basic/essential stock to have which will cover a multitude of recipes, separated into subsections - pulses (beans and lentils); spices (whole and ground); grains and Nuts and Seeds. Most of the recipes have pictures of the finished dish, some do not but these tend to be the ones that are derivative or a variation on a dish that is pictured. The ingredients and method are clearly laid out so asthetically it is also very nicely done.
I'd say it's one of the nicest recipe books I have seen for a long time, probably up there with Hugh Fearnley-Whittenstalls 'Veg Every Day' book in terms of dish quality.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Anjum Anand was already convincing with her previous books (Indian Food Made Easy in particular): she is a wonderful cook, food enthusiast and communicator. She has a particular knack for persuading you to get down the shops and ferret around till you find a packet of chat masala / asafoetida / dried mango powder / jaggery.... And producing easy-to-follow recipes that will make you glad you made the effort.

This book, though, adds to her previous achievements. Firstly, it's entirely vegetarian, but completely tempting. Great for our house: we've been eating less and less meat in 2012 and this book makes that process even easier. But also it represents a more original approach to cooking than her previous titles. Where before she's been advocating a more traditional South Asian home cooking, now she's putting her unique British AND Indian background to use and coming up with original dishes like tandoori baby potatoes, a squash cobbler, a spiced shepherds pie (of veg), masala baked beans, and a outrageous mango, pomegranate and coconut trifle.

One other excellent innovation is a whole additional level of serving suggestions, with extra recipes in smaller print at the foot of some pages to make authentic Indian street food chutnies and raitas. Fresh, rather than our more customary sugary preserves.

So far i've cooked a number of the dishes and (no surprise) they've come out wonderfully - I've ground my own parsi dhansak masala mix, done the Goan egg balchao, but also made her everyday lentil curry. And I may finally get round, at her nagging insistence, to making my own paneer and parathas. Which would be fab.

What a wonderful gift Anjum has given us in this book: I really feel that dopily grateful about it. Knowing you have a guide you can trust to work your way through a lovely cuisine is fantastic, and one way to see in autumn without feeling much regret. If you like Indian food or are vegetarian, PLEASE treat yourself to this book. It's gorgeous, and the photos are lovely too - almost every dish is illustrated (and many of the additional ones too).

(PS if you live somewhere far away from specialist shops, don't panic; on a trip to the far reaches of Cornwall this September I was delighted to find that many of the ingredients are available in a normal big high street supermarket, if you look hard enough.)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We struggle to eat enough veggies in our house they just aren't interesting enough for us and tend to get left out of the mix. This changed somewhat with the arrival of Dawson's Eat Your Veg book which really opened our eyes to the wonderful world of veggies that we were missing out on. But we still wanted something more. We absolutely love curries of all kinds so when this book came along we snapped it up. This book is an absolute delight - easy to read and follow the recipes, there are a wonderful selection of recipes to choose from and most are low fat or can be easily altered to be low fat versions. We have found that the variety of spices used and the richness of the sauces really adds flavour and interest to vegetables. The book is wonderfully presented - lots of bright, colourful photos and easy to read fonts. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to increase their veggie intake. This book comes well recommended from our house!
on 29 June 2014
I once read a newspaper article which said that on average people cook two recipes from each cookbook they buy. That doesn't surprise me, as I have books which I love to read and yet have never cooked from. But Anjum's Veggie feast is not one of those books. It's a book which is easy to use, and has an amazing wealth of recipes.

Even those books that I do cook from, it's very rare for more than one or two recipes to make it onto the list of things I make regularly, but every single thing I've cooked from this book has been good enough to make that grade. The goan egg balc'hao is the pinnacle of the recipes I've tried, but it's a close run race, with the pomegranate seasoned burgers, the peanut and sweetcorn masala, the Southern black pepper curry (which is done with soya in the book, but works amazingly with chicken for the omnivores out there), and the black-eyed bean and coconut curry are all serious contenders.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Really nice book - clear instructions, well-illustrated, and the outcomes are delicious.

I like how the recipes aren't strictly traditional, and on several occasions she gives an Indian twist on an English recipe or vice versa.

Definitely not a book for those who like to cut any corners - the bias is always towards roasting and grinding spices yourself for example (which I can definitely see the value of) and sometimes the steps seem a bit more laborious than they need to be (why not just use a garlic press to crush garlic for example?). The book also does assume that you have a spice mill (I don't), a "vertical bender" (maybe she meant a hand blender?) and lots of spices and other ingredients that may be difficult to access outside of London.

Still, with a bit of improvisation, none of these proved a hindrance, and the output for every recipe I've tried has been delicious!
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2013
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the first book I have had by Anjum and although I am not a vegetarian I was interested in looking at the different recipes.

Some are traditional - others have a more modern take - there are many that look delicious - from the photos - and the descriptions do not look too difficult.

I like the recipe for paneer - I have made this before to a different recipe - will be trying this one soon. There are also several recipes using paneer which took good - especially PLT - a Paneer, Lettuce & Tomato sandwich.

The recipes which most appealed and which I will be trying out soon are:
Steamed Nepalese momos
Three-seed potato salad
Paneer tikka masala
Crisp aubergines with sweet spiced yogurt and pomegranates.

The descriptions and background to the recipes were very interesting and the whole presentation of the book is very good.