4.0 out of 5 stars Eat more (spicy) veg!
Published 12 months ago by Moonless

3.0 out of 5 stars some nice ideas
There are some nice fusion ideas in this book for veggie burgers with an indian twist and an indian spiced shepherd's pie- although this was dubiously made with Quorn. There are ideas for all meals and snacks and it is nicely styled. I enjoyed reading through the book - but having had it now for 2 months, I have not yet made anything from it - always a bad sign for me. I...
Published 20 months ago by light

4.0 out of 5 stars Eat more (spicy) veg!, 2 Dec 2013
Moonless (London Town) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are not familiar with Indian vegetarian cooking, then this book is a good place to start. It uses authentic ingredients and recipes, and is clearly laid out and easy to follow. As someone who grew up on Indian vegetarian food, I was curious to see what this book would offer. There are some familiar dishes here (lentil curry, paneer curry or Bombay potatoes) as well as some rather unusual twists (Scotch quail's eggs or squash, butterbean and mushroom cobbler) that I am not sure I would attempt (maybe too set in my ways! It's a challenge!).

I've so far tried the chickpea burgers and the tangy herb chutney, neither of which I have made before. The instructions were very easy to follow, and the end results were pretty good, although the chutney needed a bit of adjustment.

Anjum prefaces each recipe with a little intro about where the dish is from or why she chose it. There are also little tips, for example, what to do if you are going to use tinned pulses instead of dry ones.

A lot of the spices are used for more than one recipe, and are, in fact, Indian kitchen cupboard staples; for example, cumin, garam masala, chilli powder, ground coriander...These also last for a couple of years at least, so will keep well.

There are lots of pictures dotted throughout the book, but not of every dish (which I usually prefer). It's nice to handle; the pages don't have to be held open, so it's easy to keep referring back to without struggling to stay on the page.

This book will be good for those wanting to extend their repertoire, love Indian food and want to try something a bit different. Just be prepared to give it some time!

Overall, I would say this cookbook would appeal to those who are not familiar with Indian cooking or vegetarian cooking, and would definitely improve and extend one's cooking skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nom, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
Bought this after trying out the Bengal tiger lentil curry when it was published in the Grauniad. That and the Rogan Mushroom recipe in this book are now two of my favourites. As well as some "classic" (from a Brits point of view) Indian dishes there several interesting unique Indian inspired recipes.

The recipes are generally very clear, and ingredients are specified "British style" (ie by weight, rather than by cups). My only criticism is that getting the right consistency on lentil dishes requires fairly specific amounts of water, and this is sometimes specified as eg "covering the lentils by 7.5cm" - this is a bit problematic as this means different amounts of water depending on the diameter of the saucepan. Though, adjusting later in the cooking process is not a big problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something to leven our meals, 30 May 2013
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I greatly enjoy a curry but I do find them very meat heavy. This book is very useful in adding some appropriate vegetable content to what might otherwise be too much Lamb Jalfrezi. The book is executed in sumptuous photography but the recipes are simple enough for even a junior cook. As ever the taste of India is reflected in colour and spice, but now it need not be as heavy as it formerly was.

5.0 out of 5 stars I know how to cook, 1 Nov 2012
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
Following the recipes was easy. Little bits outside the instructions are really nice addition, also the little extras she gives along the "real" recipes. I have now made three different items and both myself and the darling wife have enjoyed them very much.

I am not new to Indian cooking and have followed Blumenthal's and Keller's instructions, so if I can recommend this book, you can rest assured that it is a very good buy even for a home cook who just would like to learn to make nice food at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very attractive cookbook with some recipes I hadn't seen, 28 Jun 2014
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So, an attractive hard cover cookery book, with nice pictures and a stylish coffee-table look. We've come to expect this from cook books, so it's only a surprise if you don't get it nowadays. This one follows a pretty well-worn path. Each recipe has an intro by Anjum Anand, when she tells us where she first ate/cooked/discovered the recipe in question, and that's nice, if not really necessary when you're making the food. Unlike an inspirational book by somebody like Yotam Ottolenghi though, you don't feel this book is an instant classic.

Nothing wrong with that though. Sometimes you just want to make some nice food. Like burgers. Ah, yes. Burgers. That gives you the 'intention' of this book. It's food for every day, not fine dining. So it's burgers and 'PLTs' (paneer, lettuce and tomato...), and spicy cottage pie (which is just regular cottage pie with garam masala and cumin in the veggie mince).

These are nice enough recipes, but perhaps you were expecting something more exotic? Then you'll want to have a look at the jhalfrezi with pomegranates, or paneer koftas and shiitake mushroom curry, but that's about as wild as it gets. Many of the recipes are for familiar dishes, sometimes with just a slight twist. As a vegetarian I maybe want to be a bit more adventurous, but not always.

The upside is that you won't have trouble finding ingredients for most of the recipes and they are simple enough to make and not at all daunting. I've only made one or two, but they turned out well.

So, on the whole, despite the coffee table aspirations, the recipes are everyday ones that don't break any new ground but are nonetheless very edible if you're a half decent home cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will have you down the shops looking for Chat masala in no time, 2 Oct 2012
emma who reads a lot (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
Anjum Anand was already convincing with her previous books (Indian Food Made Easy in particular): she is a wonderful cook, food enthusiast and communicator. She has a particular knack for persuading you to get down the shops and ferret around till you find a packet of chat masala / asafoetida / dried mango powder / jaggery.... And producing easy-to-follow recipes that will make you glad you made the effort.

This book, though, adds to her previous achievements. Firstly, it's entirely vegetarian, but completely tempting. Great for our house: we've been eating less and less meat in 2012 and this book makes that process even easier. But also it represents a more original approach to cooking than her previous titles. Where before she's been advocating a more traditional South Asian home cooking, now she's putting her unique British AND Indian background to use and coming up with original dishes like tandoori baby potatoes, a squash cobbler, a spiced shepherds pie (of veg), masala baked beans, and a outrageous mango, pomegranate and coconut trifle.

One other excellent innovation is a whole additional level of serving suggestions, with extra recipes in smaller print at the foot of some pages to make authentic Indian street food chutnies and raitas. Fresh, rather than our more customary sugary preserves.

So far i've cooked a number of the dishes and (no surprise) they've come out wonderfully - I've ground my own parsi dhansak masala mix, done the Goan egg balchao, but also made her everyday lentil curry. And I may finally get round, at her nagging insistence, to making my own paneer and parathas. Which would be fab.

What a wonderful gift Anjum has given us in this book: I really feel that dopily grateful about it. Knowing you have a guide you can trust to work your way through a lovely cuisine is fantastic, and one way to see in autumn without feeling much regret. If you like Indian food or are vegetarian, PLEASE treat yourself to this book. It's gorgeous, and the photos are lovely too - almost every dish is illustrated (and many of the additional ones too).

(PS if you live somewhere far away from specialist shops, don't panic; on a trip to the far reaches of Cornwall this September I was delighted to find that many of the ingredients are available in a normal big high street supermarket, if you look hard enough.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride of place in my cookbook shelf, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
I once read a newspaper article which said that on average people cook two recipes from each cookbook they buy. That doesn't surprise me, as I have books which I love to read and yet have never cooked from. But Anjum's Veggie feast is not one of those books. It's a book which is easy to use, and has an amazing wealth of recipes.

Even those books that I do cook from, it's very rare for more than one or two recipes to make it onto the list of things I make regularly, but every single thing I've cooked from this book has been good enough to make that grade. The goan egg balc'hao is the pinnacle of the recipes I've tried, but it's a close run race, with the pomegranate seasoned burgers, the peanut and sweetcorn masala, the Southern black pepper curry (which is done with soya in the book, but works amazingly with chicken for the omnivores out there), and the black-eyed bean and coconut curry are all serious contenders.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good inspiration, 6 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A good cookbook, especially and unsurprisingly - if you like both vegetarian AND Indian food, as I do.

Recipes are fairly simple to do and I've made a few. A lot of the recipes do, as you would expect, require a fair few ingredients, some of which you may not have. The 'pantry' section at the beginning is pretty useful, though, as it gives you a breakdown of the most used spices.

I have made the spiced cottage pie and also the everyday lentil curry and have been pretty pleased with both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anjum Anand Indian Vegetarian Feast, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
I now have all of Anjum's cookery books! I was unsure at first because, although she seems quite well known by Amazon customers, I had never heard of her!! I am now totally addicted to her style of cooking! I have worked my way through many recipes in her other 3 books and the results totally convinced me to buy this vegetarian book - especially as I am a vegetarian. Every recipe in the first 3 books has turned out successful. Obviously, I have liked some more than others but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be prepared to cook the lesser liked ones again. But the ones we love are cooked on a regular basis each week. I love the way Anjum has "anglicised" Indian food so that it can easily be eaten alongside English staples. i.e. I just love the Succulent Chicken Tikka which we have with salad and chips but I sprinkle the dried Mango powder on the chips instead of the deep fried new potatoes, which Anjum suggests. I found the new potatoes cooked that way, far too greasy. I substitute Quorn fillets for the chicken and the result is succulent and tasty.

What I love about her style of cooking is that, whilst she suggests what veg to use in any given dish, she also leaves you to choose your preference. She will also reassure you by saying: "Don't worry" if you don't have a certain ingregient - "it will still taste brilliant without it", or she'll suggest an alternative, all of which leaves you feeling far more confident to tackle what might otherwise be "unfamiliar" ingredients. I also love the fact that for the most part, all the recipes can be prepared either very quickly or at least in a reasonable amount of time and are always easy to do. Nothings complicated. I also love her blending of ingredients. Very, very clever and flavoursome. What more can you ask?

I can't wait to try this new edition to my collection! Well done Anjum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
The recipes in this book produce the most delicious dishes imaginable. Anjum gets you to use fresh tomatoes that have been processed with a stick blender where other chefs have you using tinned. I thought it was a bit of a pain at first - then I tasted the difference. The only quibble I have is that it can be difficult to tell how long something will take to cook, e.g. she says to cook something until the sauce becomes "quite thick" but does not give any idea of whether this could be two minutes or ten. It makes it quite tricky to coordinate several dishes, but I'm sure I'll soon come to know how long it all takes as I intend to use this book very regularly indeed.

Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast by Anjum Anand (Hardcover - 27 Sep 2012)