5.0 out of 5 stars I know how to cook
Following the recipes was easy. Little bits outside the instructions are really nice addition, also the little extras she gives along the "real" recipes. I have now made three different items and both myself and the darling wife have enjoyed them very much.

Published 22 months ago by Jaristokraatti

2.0 out of 5 stars there are better books out there
This book is 'Indian -style' rather than Indian. Many of the ingredients are not Indian at all, e.g. cavalo nero, quinoa, and quite a few of the recipes are not Indian either, e.g. spicy cottage pie, granola. If you are looking for authentic Indian cookery, there are better books out there. That said, if you are not looking for authenticm Indian, there are some...
Published 27 days ago by Eve

5.0 out of 5 stars I know how to cook, 1 Nov 2012
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)

I am not new to Indian cooking and have followed Blumenthal's and Keller's instructions, so if I can recommend this book, you can rest assured that it is a very good buy even for a home cook who just would like to learn to make nice food at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something to leven our meals, 30 May 2013
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I greatly enjoy a curry but I do find them very meat heavy. This book is very useful in adding some appropriate vegetable content to what might otherwise be too much Lamb Jalfrezi. The book is executed in sumptuous photography but the recipes are simple enough for even a junior cook. As ever the taste of India is reflected in colour and spice, but now it need not be as heavy as it formerly was.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good inspiration, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A good cookbook, especially and unsurprisingly - if you like both vegetarian AND Indian food, as I do.

Recipes are fairly simple to do and I've made a few. A lot of the recipes do, as you would expect, require a fair few ingredients, some of which you may not have. The 'pantry' section at the beginning is pretty useful, though, as it gives you a breakdown of the most used spices.

I have made the spiced cottage pie and also the everyday lentil curry and have been pretty pleased with both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will have you down the shops looking for Chat masala in no time, 2 Oct 2012
emma who reads a lot (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
Anjum Anand was already convincing with her previous books (Indian Food Made Easy in particular): she is a wonderful cook, food enthusiast and communicator. She has a particular knack for persuading you to get down the shops and ferret around till you find a packet of chat masala / asafoetida / dried mango powder / jaggery.... And producing easy-to-follow recipes that will make you glad you made the effort.

This book, though, adds to her previous achievements. Firstly, it's entirely vegetarian, but completely tempting. Great for our house: we've been eating less and less meat in 2012 and this book makes that process even easier. But also it represents a more original approach to cooking than her previous titles. Where before she's been advocating a more traditional South Asian home cooking, now she's putting her unique British AND Indian background to use and coming up with original dishes like tandoori baby potatoes, a squash cobbler, a spiced shepherds pie (of veg), masala baked beans, and a outrageous mango, pomegranate and coconut trifle.

One other excellent innovation is a whole additional level of serving suggestions, with extra recipes in smaller print at the foot of some pages to make authentic Indian street food chutnies and raitas. Fresh, rather than our more customary sugary preserves.

So far i've cooked a number of the dishes and (no surprise) they've come out wonderfully - I've ground my own parsi dhansak masala mix, done the Goan egg balchao, but also made her everyday lentil curry. And I may finally get round, at her nagging insistence, to making my own paneer and parathas. Which would be fab.

What a wonderful gift Anjum has given us in this book: I really feel that dopily grateful about it. Knowing you have a guide you can trust to work your way through a lovely cuisine is fantastic, and one way to see in autumn without feeling much regret. If you like Indian food or are vegetarian, PLEASE treat yourself to this book. It's gorgeous, and the photos are lovely too - almost every dish is illustrated (and many of the additional ones too).

(PS if you live somewhere far away from specialist shops, don't panic; on a trip to the far reaches of Cornwall this September I was delighted to find that many of the ingredients are available in a normal big high street supermarket, if you look hard enough.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Anjum Anand Indian Vegetarian Feast, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
I now have all of Anjum's cookery books! I was unsure at first because, although she seems quite well known by Amazon customers, I had never heard of her!! I am now totally addicted to her style of cooking! I have worked my way through many recipes in her other 3 books and the results totally convinced me to buy this vegetarian book - especially as I am a vegetarian. Every recipe in the first 3 books has turned out successful. Obviously, I have liked some more than others but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be prepared to cook the lesser liked ones again. But the ones we love are cooked on a regular basis each week. I love the way Anjum has "anglicised" Indian food so that it can easily be eaten alongside English staples. i.e. I just love the Succulent Chicken Tikka which we have with salad and chips but I sprinkle the dried Mango powder on the chips instead of the deep fried new potatoes, which Anjum suggests. I found the new potatoes cooked that way, far too greasy. I substitute Quorn fillets for the chicken and the result is succulent and tasty.

What I love about her style of cooking is that, whilst she suggests what veg to use in any given dish, she also leaves you to choose your preference. She will also reassure you by saying: "Don't worry" if you don't have a certain ingregient - "it will still taste brilliant without it", or she'll suggest an alternative, all of which leaves you feeling far more confident to tackle what might otherwise be "unfamiliar" ingredients. I also love the fact that for the most part, all the recipes can be prepared either very quickly or at least in a reasonable amount of time and are always easy to do. Nothings complicated. I also love her blending of ingredients. Very, very clever and flavoursome. What more can you ask?

I can't wait to try this new edition to my collection! Well done Anjum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
The recipes in this book produce the most delicious dishes imaginable. Anjum gets you to use fresh tomatoes that have been processed with a stick blender where other chefs have you using tinned. I thought it was a bit of a pain at first - then I tasted the difference. The only quibble I have is that it can be difficult to tell how long something will take to cook, e.g. she says to cook something until the sauce becomes "quite thick" but does not give any idea of whether this could be two minutes or ten. It makes it quite tricky to coordinate several dishes, but I'm sure I'll soon come to know how long it all takes as I intend to use this book very regularly indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Indian Vegetarian Feast., 27 May 2014
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
Anjum Anand's first vegetarian cookbook is chock- full of interesting recipes. Many of the recipes are a little time-consuming and are not all able to be rustled up in next to no time. Quite a few of them are very time consuming and would go down very well for a vegetarian Sunday lunch. Many of the recipes here contain paneer, a crumbly white Indian cheese, which can be prepared easily at home using Anjum's easy to follow recipe.

The protein rich Paneer and Pea Curry is very easy to make with all the familiar Indian spices, as long as you have paneer to hand.It was delicious served with the naan made at home from the recipe in this book. We enjoyed the Crisp Aubergines with Sweet Spiced Yoghurt and Pomegranates which had echoes of Middle-Eastern dishes.

Masala Omelette is a breakfast/brunch favourite in our home, and once you have tried and enjoyed the unusual spicy flavour in what would often be a very bland snack, you'll always prepare your omelettes with Anjum's Indian flavours.
Many of the recipes in this book are Anglo-Indian, and could be classed as "Fusion Food" like Wild Mushroom Biryani, Mango, Pomegranate, Berry and Coconut Trifle, and Luscious Spiced Cottage Pie which contains Quorn.
I do enjoy Anjum Anand's recipes, and frequently cook vegetarian food even though I am not vegetarian. However I believe there are better vegetarian recipes in two of her other books: Indian Every Day and I Love Curry, which are my favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feast for Vegetarians, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
I purchased this book and got stuck in straight away. I have so far tried the Roti, Kidney Bean Curry, Pea and Paneer and the Bombay potatoes. All of them have turned out splendidly and having made food for my friends both Indian and British the comments have all been very positive. Recipes are easy to follow and the results make you want to try more! I will definitely be experimenting more and more with the recipes from my favourite cookbook of the moment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nom, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
Bought this after trying out the Bengal tiger lentil curry when it was published in the Grauniad. That and the Rogan Mushroom recipe in this book are now two of my favourites. As well as some "classic" (from a Brits point of view) Indian dishes there several interesting unique Indian inspired recipes.

The recipes are generally very clear, and ingredients are specified "British style" (ie by weight, rather than by cups). My only criticism is that getting the right consistency on lentil dishes requires fairly specific amounts of water, and this is sometimes specified as eg "covering the lentils by 7.5cm" - this is a bit problematic as this means different amounts of water depending on the diameter of the saucepan. Though, adjusting later in the cooking process is not a big problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Anjum book., 23 Oct 2013
Judith Mccafferty (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast (Hardcover)
Now I must confess that I got this for much less from the Book People when they had a post free weekend! I have 3 of Anjum's other books , (I heart curry being my favourite) It started me cooking Indian food and I haven't been back to a restaurant since.
Now I'm not a vegetarian, but my eldest son is, and I originally bought it for him, fat chance! I shall buy another copy! I am lucky in that I live a couple of miles from a large Indian supermarket, so ingredients are not a problem. Several pages of this book are already splattered! Always a good sign!Even OH (who is a convinced carnivore) has relished recipes from this book. Especially the chickpea burgers!
Alot of the recipes are fusion, which will not please purists, but they are scrummy!
If you are looking to cut down on meat and you love Indian food, then this is the book for you.(I do however , in a nod to health, cut down the amount of oil)

Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast by Anjum Anand (Hardcover - 27 Sep 2012)
12.00