4.0 out of 5 stars All a beginner needs to know
I'm mainly a knitter, I can crochet granny squares but until I read this book I could not follow a crochet pattern or chart.

Published on 19 Jun. 2012 by C. E. Hopkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for a complet crochet beginner
Published 14 months ago by After Hours...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars All a beginner needs to know, 19 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Crochet Workshop: Learn How to Crochet with 20 Inspiring Projects (Paperback)

The presentation of the book is beautiful, lovely high quality paper, photographs and an elegant neutral colour palette. But I am not quite so enthusiastic about some of the projects. I think it is fair to say that although there are so many good things to say about crochet, its simplicity, the comforting association with our grannies, the way we can use up all sorts of scraps and how a piece of work is perfect to fit into a corner of our bags for long journeys, the problems arise when thinking what to make. Throws, cushions and shawls, yes but actual clothing, not so sure. Erika Knight has come up with some very innovative designs but I could not quite see me wearing the Asymmetrical Cardigan or the Edgy Scarf.

But there is still plenty of goodness in there, the Slipper Boots are fun, I rather wish I had a dog so that I could make the Rag Pet Bed and I loved the Texture Throw

Quite often when I see a new book I leap into the projects first imagining all the pretty things I will make but this book is much stronger on the technical aspects of the craft, ideal for a novice like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 28 July 2012
I'm a bit lazy at writing reviews but I have been so impressed by this book that I felt I had to contribute something! I have been crocheting for a year now but only have the confidence to crochet simple stuff, having bought many crochet books that leave me frustrated and questioning my intelligence :)))) Finally this book has had the opposite effect. The book is beautifully presented, the colours used and styling is just gorgeous. I think it is very clear and easy to follow and I just love the projects, they really do give you confidence to try something new and persevere, as all the information is there, nothing is assumed in terms of knowledge. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous pattern ideas, 6 Oct. 2012
So far I've made the slipper boots, the snood and am halfway through the gloves. I love all the ideas and the classy choice of good quality, often British wool. Easy to follow patterns. I've been crocheting for about 8 months and found that I've learned new things from this book. New techniques are clearly explained and I've built my confidence.
Love this book. Modern and tasteful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for a complet crochet beginner, 26 April 2014
This is my first of Erika's book. Overall I love the photos, the graphics, the gorgeous earthy tones throughout the whole book, the font, the yarns she uses for her projects (expensive to buy though!!!). However the biggest drawback of this book are sketchy drawings - unclear and confusing for someone who is making their first steps in the crochet world. I tried to learn the basic crochet with this book and set out with zest and determination but I failed. I just couldnt make out in the drawings which is a new stitch and which are the old stitches. All seems to be as if sketched with a pencil - it does match the climate of the book but it doesnt help a beginner to learn. I switched to Mollie Makes crochet book with more transparent coloured pictures and I learnt the steps straight away. For this reason I give this book 3 stars. It is lovely in photography terms but at the same time it feels like this book is more about looking good rather than guiding properly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Learn how to crochet, 27 Nov. 2013
I bought this as I wanted to remind myself how to crochet having not done it since I was a child (10+ years ago). There are lots of instructions on generic crochet "patterns" so you can learn how to do a range of different crochet techniques. However, better basic crochet books are available and I found myself buying another after buying this. The actual designs however are a bit disappointing, and I can't see myself doing many, if any, of these. Overall, it's okay, but I probably wouldn't recommend it as a book to learn crochet from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous projects, appealing colour scheme, good for beginners, 6 May 2013
Bought this book for a friend who has not done any crocheting before, but likes to learn it. I ended up copying all the pages for myself before giving it to her, as I liked the projects so much. The colour choices are great, as I kow my friend prefers pastell and neutral colours. Instructions are very clear with very detailed pictures about how to do the difficult bits. Very appealing pictures accompany every project. And all of them I can see using in my own house. It starts with very easy projects like oven cloths/ towels and goes over cushions, blankets, carpets, a dog bed, slippers, gloves to more complicated very lacy looking blankets, scarfs and jumpers. Particularly like the technique section that also explains felting. Will definitely work my way through all of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful AND inpsiring, 1 Nov. 2013
VenusSpecimen (south east, u.k) - See all my reviews
i love this book. its what i was hoping for in many purchased similarly titled books previously. i can do a crochet chain and back and fourth double crochet but no idea how to make shapes etc. this book truly tells and shows you exactly how to do it all in a very comprehensive and visual manner. am overjoyed. i also love the projects blending from rustic homestyle to more ornate wow pieces that visitors will be amazed at. am particularly in love with what looks like a mat/doily thing made up of mini linked starfish. out of this world. very happy reader. of course, the nice with with a review of a book is that it is the readers view so it is not up for criticising as its simply how I MYSELF have found the book. it does precisely what the title says.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 15 April 2013
This book is great value for money. There are 20 projects and a lot of guidance is given. At the beginning, Erika Knight explains the differences between yarns, which is really useful. She tells you what tension and hook size is best for each different yarn. Then she goes on to show you stitches and there is a very useful section about how to understand patterns, all beautifully laid out. There are some very attractive stripe cushions in the project section, which I shall certainly be making, as well as the laptop case. In fact, all of the projects are inspiring and look achievable. Just a few of these include, in rising difficulty:
A clutch (which could also become a pencil case or a small storage or make up bag)
A lovely looking throw
A pair if fingerless gloves and a snood for the winter
A 'patchwork motif' blanket and
A pretty scallop scarf for warmer weather.

I would recommend this book to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab but better photos would be good, 6 Aug. 2012
Crochet books can be a little bit hit and miss, the cover looks great but inside the projects can be a little strange. Not so with this book, great projects, very up to date and fashionable. My one criticism would be that some of the projects could have better, more detailed photos, the photography is stylish, but I need to see a close up before I commit to spending money and time on a project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crochet, 29 Nov. 2013
Ericka Knight has taste and a simplicity that is appealing and enduring. A lovely book. Well written and affordable to make the projects. You get hooked if you can forgive the pun!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›