5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners and experienced bakers
Published on 2 Jun 2012 by Miss E. J. Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it but...
This book is beautiful to look at but I find it quite repetitive but I guess that's the nature of the book. The recipes are good and the cakes I made were nice but I didn't feel there was enough variety or excitement to justify the price tag.
Published on 27 Sep 2012 by E. Mercer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners and experienced bakers, 2 Jun 2012
Miss E. J. Collins "Emma" (sw london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boutique Baking: Delectable Cakes, Cupcakes and Teatime Treats (Hardcover)
I'm new to baking and cake decorating. I love Peggy's chic cakes, and not only is this book inspiratonal to all skill levels, there is also guidence on how to ice and the equipment you need. This book is not basic by any means, but it is also not over-complicated. A beginner can achieve the same results with some time and patience. If you've ever tasted her cakes and wanted to recreate this - you'll need to invest in quality ingredients and build up your collection of equipment. There are plenty of 'projects' so I'm working my way through the book and collecting equipment as I go along - the results have looked and tasted amazing - just like Peggy's!! I've recieved wonderful compliments and that was for my first attempts! A cupcake fan has said they're better than Hummingbird which is a big deal coming from her! I've looked at her other books and I would definately recommend this as a first purchase - and for a beginner it would be a good idea to pair this with a more detailed book such as 'the essential guide to cake decorating', which has given me more detailed guidence and understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recipes cakes that look and taste good, 12 May 2012
Peggy Porschen sets a really high standard for cake making and decorating. She makes cakes for the rich and famous and her cakes and sugar craft goods are works of art, and beautifully executed. She must have really high standards because her work is so perfect.

This book follows the same high Peggy standards of perfection but I felt these recipes were more achievable for a home baker. There are lots of really tasty recipes here and this book is not just about cake decorating its about taste.

The chapters cover sweet treats, cup cakes, decorated biscuits, classic cakes and larger cakes including layer cakes that would suit a celebratory event. I didn't think the designs were hard to pull off and any instructions needed for piping etc were really clear with photographs to help. Icing cakes has its own chapter.

The photography in this book is of a high standard and includes photographs taken in the Peggy Porschen parlour in London.

There is even a chapter on drinks!

I made the banana, walnut and chocolate loaf cake. It was a lovely light cake packed full of the flavours, the added touch of toasting the walnuts and finishing the cake with a banana cream frosting worked a treat. This was more of any everyday type of bake which anyone can make at home but I don't think people expect to find in Peggy's books but they really are there and taste delicious too!

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it but..., 27 Sep 2012
E. Mercer - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Boutique Baking - My favourite Peggy book so far!, 17 May 2012
Boutique Baking is slightly different from Peggy's previous books which focus more on decorating projects using several key recipes. Instead, Boutique Baking is filled with recipes - each with their own decorating ideas and techniques that Peggy clearly guides you through with written instructions and visual steps.

Boutique Baking is made up of 7 chapters: Sweet Treats, Beautiful Biscuits, Cupcake Heaven, Luscious Layer Cakes, Classic Cakes & Bakes, Delicious Drinks, and The Icing on The Cake.

Notable recipes include:

Springerle Cookies - I've always wanted to make these, but have never found an authentic wooden mould.

Chocolate Heaven Cupcakes - I've made these and they're delicious.

Summer Berry Cake - this has a beautiful pattern on top that's created by a simple dusting of cocoa powder over a patterned stencil.

Raspberry & Rose Dome Cake - I also made this, and it turned out fantastic.

Minteani - A light and refreshing iced mint tea and vodka cocktail.

Out of all of Peggy's books (she has 5), Boutique Baking is my favourite. The recipes are all mouth watering and accompanied by stunning photos, not only of the finished product but also of the steps needed to get you there. Boutique Baking has something for everyone. Novice bakers and decorators need not shy away, as there's a recipe and decorating idea to suit every skill level.

5.0 out of 5 stars The wait is over!!, 14 May 2012
I have been waiting for this book to be published for months, I was so excited to see it was for sale last week and I ordered immediately.

My copy arrived today and it was just as special as I thought it would be. The photography is simply beautiful with photos of all the recipes, some of them with even more photos showing the stages and methods of execution.

The book is divided in to Sweet Treats, Beautiful Biscuits, Cupcake Heaven, Luscious Layer Cakes, Classic Cakes and Bakes, Delicious Drinks and The icing on the Cake.

I specifically bought this book for the layer cakes of which there are many including Summer Berry Cake, Tipsy Orange Truffle Cake, Lemon Limoncello Cake, Creamy Carmel Cake, Dark Chocolate Truffle Cake, White Chocolate Passion Cake, Scrumptious Carrot Cake and a scrummy looking Glorious Victoria Cake, they are all decorated so beautifully and look like I may actually be able to achieve something similar.

All the layer cakes require 3 x 6inch baking tins which will be an expense for me as I don't have any of that size ideally I prefer 9inch cakes as I think if you are going baking you may as well make the best and biggest cake you can, these are more dainty than I'm used to making, but the recipe does say they serve 8-12 slices.

Obviously as I only received this today I have not actually baked anything yet so I cannot comment on results yet but as it's Peggy Porschen I am pretty sure they will all be delish!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful & Delicious, 30 April 2012
Boutique Baking is the new offering from popular and celebrity cake maker Peggy Porschen. Peggy's previous books all focus heavily on decorated cakes and desserts (click here to see my review of Peggy's Favorite Cakes & Cookies). Her latest offering focuses on the desserts served in her cake boutique and the technical skills involved, to ensure your cakes taste as delicious as they look!

Most of the recipes in the book use standard baking and easy to find ingredients. I've never used the liquid fondant that Peggy uses for for the baked donuts but it can be purchased online or made at home (I used candy melts instead). A few of the recipes use tins you may not have on hand but they can be substituted with a little imagination.

A few of the recipes call for "Peggy's Signature Jam" as many of the cakes are inspired from them. Having forayed into jam making myself I would have loved to see those recipes. I guess we'll have to wait for "Peggy's Preserving" to be the next book! I already made the Limoncello Layer Cake and Baked Donuts (recipes coming this week) and found the instructions easy to follow. Decorating is not my strongest suit but I really put in the extra effort to get a more sleek finish to my cake. I tried to make Peggy's Signature Macarons but failed twice (not the books fault)!I still need a little more practice for those.

This is an amazing book and I really did jump for joy when it arrived in the mail. It shows the home baker how to make their own sophisticated and chic creations. For those that aren't able to make it to London the book perfectly captures the essence of The Parlor. I'm going to study the decorating chapter and give it another try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peggy certainly doesn't disappoint!!!, 3 May 2012
What a fantastic book...simple recipes which are easily acheivable and require no obscure ingredients. Peggy recommends her own jams in some recipes...these are available on her website or they can just as easily be substituted with any jam. The whole book is flawlessly executed & well presented with pictures to accompany each recipe. There are the more adventurous cakes however, which will require some skill & more time (the Raspberry & Rose Dome Cake for example) but again, Peggy provides step by step pictures to help you. I would recommend this book for both the novice & more accomplished baker. I seriously can't wait to get stuck in!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes but doesn't make quantity specified!, 2 Sep 2013
One of the main reasons I bought this book was the fact that the cupcake recipes made 24 rather than the usual 12. However, I started with the vanilla cupcakes yesterday and only got 12 from the recipe. I now have to buy more ingredients to make another 12 and use up the bowl full of icing I still have left over! Having said that the cakes were delicious. Another small thing is that you have to flip back and forth for some recipes between the ingredients page and the method which definitely slows you down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant book, 14 Feb 2013
A wonderful book. Simple to make and design recipes and gorgeous results. Wonderful pictures. This book could be called the Bible of cakes and pastries.

5.0 out of 5 stars YumYum, 19 July 2012
This book was bought for my wife who really does not need a book of cake recipes as she is a first class baker. Still it kept her quiet for 5 minutes reading it.

Boutique Baking: Delectable Cakes, Cupcakes and Teatime Treats
Boutique Baking: Delectable Cakes, Cupcakes and Teatime Treats by Peggy Porschen (Hardcover - 24 May 2012)