Published on 15 Nov 2006 by Keith_Joseph

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun
Not the best astronauts story but still good fun steve cole writes great books and I have now read almost all of them
Published 6 months ago by Hannah Macarthur

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Seventh book in the excellent Astrosaurs series for preteen boys, 15 Nov 2006
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
My son (10) isn't very good at reading, so I read these Astrosaurs books to him at bedtime. He has really enjoyed them and so we have bought all of the series (8 books at present with more to come in 2007) to encourage him to like books as much as his Playstation 2, TV and DVD's. Most books we have are shared with his 12 year old sister, so he appreciated a good book aimed at young boys. I would say these books are his most treasured, and he really looks forward to reading a chapter or two each night - my daughter (12) has shown no interest - she's probably too old and a girl. The sci-fi stories are quite good (we are Dr Who, New Captain Scarlet & Dan Dare fans) and you get the boys favourite (dinosaurs) thrown in as well. The series follows the space adventures of a troupe of vegetarian dinosaurs (they escaped the meteor hit 50 million years ago by leaving Earth in spaceships).

This book is the seventh of the series, and involves Capt. Teggs, Arx, Gipsey and Iggy of the Starship DSS Sauropod leaving on a perilous mission to find Admiral Rosso, a crusty old Barosaurus and the leader of the Dinosaur Space Service, who has gone missing while on a holiday trip to the planet Trimuda.

The books are best read in order. My son says 'Like the other books it was cool, I liked the characters and the pictures. I also liked the cut-out cards at the front'. I would think the books would suit any pre-teen boy older than four, who appreciates space travel. I also enjoyed reading them out loud, and I think the quality of the science fiction stories is actually improving with each new book. They also have lots of good line drawn illustrations, typically two per page. There are surprisingly few good books aimed squarely at young boys about, so highly recommended. Also try 'The tentacled terror' plus the 'Horrid Henry', 'Seriously silly stories', and the 'Captain Underpants' series of books - and don't forget the eighth Astrosaurs book 'The terror bird trap'

5.0 out of 5 stars seven year old twins from Glasgow, 26 Nov 2006
K. Hussain (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
We love Astrosaurs. We have all of them, we enjoy collecting the cards and we can't wait for the new ones to come out.

The books are funny and exciting. They have cool baddies and great heroes.

The Astosaurs are dinosaurs in space that have adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one yet in a fabulous series, 11 Sep 2009
We purchased a set of eight Astrosaur books for our son's seventh birthday. Our son has Asperger's Syndrome and it has been difficult to find fiction books that will keep his interest. We have been reading a couple chapters in Astrosaurs books since his birthday in July (it is now September) and they have kept his interest this entire time. They are well-written and well-illustrated. Our four-year old daughter has also been hearing them as her bedtime story and she loves them as well. The collector cards in the front are also very much appreciated by the children as they are mad for trumps games. Day of the Dino Droids is my particular favourite as I found it suspenseful and quite funny, with particularly vivid illustrations. Huge thanks to Steve Cole for creating such an entertaining series. We'll be buying more soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars I quite like it, 6 Sep 2007
By William Chappell age 9
I think this book is quite good, I think Arx is my fave character because he's so brainy!
I think I like chapter eleven the best because its got so much action in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Space travelling and robotic dinosaurs, 8 May 2013
Whatever happened to the dinosaurs? They moved into space. This book is part of a series about these space travelling dinosaurs, who roam the Jurassic Quadrant keeping the peace, saving the world etc. In this book Teggs, Gipsy, Iggy and the crew of DSS Sauropod help save DSS HQ from dino-droids, fashioned in their image. It's a race against time, Attila and Draxie to stop the next dino war.

A fast paced, fun romp through dino-space, with a crew of characters that readers will have already come to love in previous books. Great fun and sure to be popular with dinosaur lovers

5.0 out of 5 stars Class Novel, 29 Aug 2009
S. Baxter (North East Scotland) - See all my reviews
I chose this book as a class novel for my Primary 4 (Year 3 class) just because it's title was Star Piraates and our topic this term is Pirates. I have been delighted with the story and so have the class. With other class novels I have forgotten to read it on odd days - no chance with this one. I seldom forget and if I do, the class are ready to remind me. The characters are great, interesting yet not perfect - the plot fast moving, believeable and full of surprises and humour. I love it. I'm off to buy some more Astrosaaur books and check out his (Steve Cole) other series.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read!, 23 Feb 2008
I like this book because the story is excellent and very exciting. It is my favourite because in the story, the astrosaurs nearly get caught by the T.rexes.(Reviewed by Leela age 6).

4.0 out of 5 stars Astrosaurs Academy: Contest Carnage!, 12 Jun 2013
WOW! This amazing Astrosaurs Academy adventure will have you blown away. Filled with suspense,drama and lots and lots of Astro-Action, this fantastic book is perfect not just for boys, but for girls just like me too!
Personally, I would say this book would be just the perfect present for any 6-12 years old. Being 11, I still really enjoy it and am glued to the pages of this book.

However, the only problem is, I was able to read it in about a day so if you are quite good a reading, this might not be the best book for you. On the other hand, this book is perfect for any "Slime Squad", "Cows is Action" or "Astrosaurs" fans!
Steve Cole is officially the writing king!

5.0 out of 5 stars Second In the Series Star T Rex anyone?, 12 Oct 2012
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Note THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE BBC AUDIO RELEASE ONLY.

This is a really fabulous reading of the book. Toby Longworth is one word- excellent.

He reads this entertaining story really well and handles all the complex different character's voices really well- at times I thought it was radio play rather than an unabridged reading of the book because he is that good.

This is the second in the series but can be listened too even if you haven't heard the first- but after hearing this one you will soon seek out the first and third in the series.
The Seas of Doom (Astrosaurs)
Astrosaurs: Riddle of the Raptors

The story- the dinosaurs never died out- they were space explorers and called the Astrosaurs.
The series is popular and there are 3 in the series all released on audio by the BBC.
Teggs is the captain of the SS Sauropod pride of the space fleet- his mission?
To deliver a set of newly discovered eggs to a safe planet BUT a species of greedy Oviraptors- thats egg eaters to you and me (just like the Piggies in Angry Birds!)
The action never lets up and the story really cracks along at a brilliant pace.
Totally recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little stories, 3 Jan 2012
Mrs. S. M. Codd (Germany) - See all my reviews
bought for 6 year old son who is an avid reader. He loves all astrosaurs books and asked for a list of them for christmas. Fun books, proper chapters, but some black and white diagram pictures, so kids not put off by too any pages of writing. Great book for young readers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Astrosaurs 10: The Star Pirates
Astrosaurs 10: The Star Pirates by Steve Cole (Paperback - 29 April 2010)