5.0 out of 5 stars A breathtaking book
This is one of the most beautifully illustrated children's books I have read with my children (and as we get 7-12 books a week out of the library we have read a lot of books together!).

Published on 25 April 2012 by Sm Drew

3.0 out of 5 stars Gift
This is a gift for a birthday in February, so we won't know how it will be received until the granddaughter receives it in 2 months' time.
Published 24 months ago by Vlaamse inwijkeling

5.0 out of 5 stars A breathtaking book, 25 April 2012
Sm Drew "dingalongcow" (Colchester, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minnow and the Bear (Hardcover)

Minnow is a stone-age boy who is frustrated at not being able to go out with the hunters due to his size. He gets swept away from his cave, meets up with a bear cub and sets up camp by the sea. He returns home in time to save the tribe from cold and starvation.

The story was adequate, a little disjointed and awkward in places but the illustrations are superb. Alternating full-page, half page and comic strip pictures the wonders of the natural world are intricately depicted and there are little details to notice each time. As Minnow falls down the waterfall you can see at the bottom a teeny tiny bear cub falling into the water at the same time. The pictures are panoramic and a wonderful representation of the size of the stone-age world, unbound by houses and cars and fences. Fish swim in crystal clear water, birds nest in trees and humans are part of this, rather than imposing themselves upon it.

My 2 and a half year old and 6 year old sighed a satisfied sigh when we reached the last page, having remained rapt throughout. Then they requested it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the reluctant reader, 30 Mar 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Minnow and the Bear (Hardcover)
Whilst none of my nephews have hit the "I don't want to read" stage yet, I know that a great many people have trouble getting their children to enjoy stories if they're not in a certain format. This one by Ben takes the young reader on a journey as a young boy is swept away by a river and has to survive with a young bear cub whilst hoping to find his way home.

It's wonderfully descriptive, the characters come to life within the illustrations and the overall story is one of survival and hope that is presented in a graphic novel format that will have many readers enjoying it without fully realising what it is. Add to this positive reinforcement of admirable traits like friendship and this story was one of wonder. Magical.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful book!, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Minnow and the Bear (Hardcover)
My little one is a massive Little Red Train fan, so when I heard the new Ben Blathwayt book was out, I couldn't wait to get it!
The story is about a little caveboy, Minnow, who falls into a river and in his struggle to get home, teams up with Bear, his fluffy companion. It is a great book about friendship accompanied by amazingly detailed pictures - lots to pore over and discuss with the little one. We read it three times last night and he just can't get enough of it!
I agree with the other review, that the family don't seem to miss him (which is a little odd) but it a classic hero tale so it didn't bother us too much. I'll definitley recommend it to my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Friendship and growing up, 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: Minnow and the Bear (Hardcover)
Minnow, a cave dweller, is too young to go out hunting with the men, until one day he falls in the river whilst trying to catch a fish and finds himself alone, far from home with a baby bear cub for his friend. They have to survive by catching fish, but as the season changes Minnow realises he needs to go home, so they follow the river back upstream to the caves, where the hunters haven't returned with any food, but Minnow knows where there's food and so saves the clan. Told in short sentences, with lots of pictures, almost like cartoon strips, but very detailed so good for children to idenify birds and animals and hunt for the hidden bison at the end. Interesting that they don't miss him or even welcome him home, until he finds the food!!!!! Not an outstanding story but the pictures are good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gift, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Minnow and the Bear (Paperback)

Minnow and the Bear
Minnow and the Bear by Benedict Blathwayt (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)