5.0 out of 5 stars Badger's Parting Gifts
Published on 11 May 2004 by jessgp

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for us.
I researched lots of books on Amazon while my daughter's grandpa was ill in the hope of preparing her for bereavement. As I was unsure, I got three of the four I short-listed from the library before committing to buy. I was glad I did as this book was not for us. My husband and I both read it independently and thought it wasn't suitable. It was quite long-winded but also...
Published on 13 Mar 2012 by kparsons

5.0 out of 5 stars Badger's Parting Gifts, 11 May 2004
This review is from: Badger's Parting Gifts (Paperback)
I was read this book as a child following the death of my father when I was just four. It remains my over-riding memory of that time. This book is wonderful. It was only as an adult when I sought the book out that I even realised that the book had been written with the express purpose of helping children to understand death, yet it very much achieved its goal and I believe made me and my sisters able to cope in a way we would not otherwise have done. An inspirational book which I will always treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple story, evoking postive thought about death., 2 Feb 2000
This review is from: Badger's Parting Gifts (Paperback)
A simple and beautifully told story about the death of Badger, and the subsequent grief felt by his friends. Death is portrayed as a relief and release for old Badger. His friends come to realise that their lives have been enriched by his friendship and with the passing of time they are able to remember him fondly and without sadness. A sensitive story giving a new angle to a subject that we all shy away from, particularly with children, though most children will have to deal with the death of a family member or loved one at least once during their childhood. Suitable from pre-school plus (Don't be surprised if you 'fill up' when you read it aloud !)

5.0 out of 5 stars Badger's Parting Gifts, 20 July 2006
This review is from: Badger's Parting Gifts (Hardcover)
I was given this book when I was about four years old, by my teacher at the time, after the death of my Grandmother. I genuinely believe that `Badger's Parting Gifts' was instrumental - if not necessary - to my understanding and acceptance of losing a loved one. My mum and I read this book together many times in the months following the funeral, and all of the basic concepts were presented in clear and simple language, using comparisons I was able to relate to. I found the end of the book particularly comforting - the idea that badger was able to cast his walking stick aside, and run freely, without the pain he suffered at the end of his life. Using a tunnel as a metaphor for death, or heaven, whatever you choose to believe, was perfect for the ages this book was written for. It leaves space for personal (or religious) interpretation, and didn't seem at all frightening to me. I'm seventeen now, and recently re-bought this book, and don't regret it. If you're a parent considering buying this book for your children, then I wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending it. The characters are endearing, the information presented isn't confusing, and it's a great book to read together - though there may be tears! In summary; couldn't be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive subject treated sensitively, 19 Jan 2004
This review is from: Badger's Parting Gifts (Hardcover)
An excellent book which is enjoyable to simply read but is most useful in using as a tool to introduce young children to the idea of mortality. I used this book with my children when their grandfather was dying and it really helped to get across quite difficult ideas such as the fact that memories of shared times can keep someone alive. It's difficult to explain even now, but read the book and you'll see what I mean. Not morbid or sickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive book which will help all ages, 25 Aug 1999
This review is from: Badger's Parting Gifts (Paperback)
This book is a very sensitive handling of an extremely difficult subject. Although aimed at children, its content could be helpful to people of all ages struggling to come to terms with the death of a loved one. Badger's friends are reminded of times when they have benefitted in some way from Badger's experience, wisdom and love, and the reader is left with a very warm and positive feeling, along with the idea that death is not something to be feared: rather it is the extension of life's journey. We all thoroughly enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless, 9 Oct 2009
Mrs. D. Wadham "Dee" (Brighton UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Badger's Parting Gifts (Hardcover)
Introduced to this book when my children were at first school, it seemed the perfect resource for my search to find words at the memorial service for my husband. He died after a cruel and very short illness at a relatively young age. He was 'Badger' in many ways, thinking always of others before himself, and this wonderful narrative was the underpinning of the whole memorial service. So many people commented on it and those who hadn't read the book will do so now. I am eternally grateful that the bnook is still in print and Amazon delivered as always, very quickly. Thank you. Dee

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 14 Jun 2010
Stella (South London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Badger's Parting Gifts (Paperback)
Excellent. Had been trying to explain death to my 4 year old nephew and read about this and had a feeling this book would be good. It was perfect. It explains death, parting and melancholy for small people without getting too "heavy". It also, amazingly, explains to a child (and indeed some adults!) that positive things can come from such a negative thing, as losing someone you love. In this case, it was a grandparent. Inspired writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST book ever!, 10 Nov 2007
I lost of best friend when I was 8 years old. Although some people say I was only 8 it wont effect her, it did and it still does. At the age I didn't really understand what death was, I knew about it but only thought it happened to old people.
My parents brought me this book to try and help me understand what had happened.
It helpped me so much words can't even describe just how much. I always remember reading this book and although it made me cry because Badger had died I understood it.
I haven't read the book in ages and it wasn't until my brother was cleaning out the bookshelf and found it that it made me remember all the great times I did have with my best friend and how much the book helpped me. I could read it over and over.
It truely is the best book to help children understand about death, don't think it wont effect them because it does. You can help them understand more by buying the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars help children cope with the death of loved ones, 7 May 2003
N Thornber (Barlestone, Nuneaton, |Warks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Badger's Parting Gifts (Paperback)
A charming and sensitive tale which will help younger children, and very probably the adults who read it to them, to come to terms with the loss of a loved one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Choose with care.., 14 July 2008
Book-man (napier, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Badger's Parting Gifts (Paperback)
My wife bought this book for my daughter who was 3 when her Grandmother died. In the book Badger is old and infirm and frankly suffering. His death is a release and, for him, a relief. Although her Grandmother had been quite ill before she died, my daughter never saw her suffer. Her Grandmother is simply 'gone'. She still asks to go & visit her in the hospital. Sadly, for many people, death is not a 'relief' and it would be wrong to try and spin it that way to a child. This book may be right for your circumstances and then again, it might not.

Badger's Parting Gifts
Badger's Parting Gifts by Susan Varley (Paperback - 7 Mar 2013)
5.24