5.0 out of 5 stars Charming tragicomic tale for toddlers!
My 20 month old daughter loves this book. It's a simple enough story for her to understand yet with a melancholic edge which has her happily gurning her pretend sad face (especially when the monster breaks one of Bernard's toys)! Recommended to all!
Published on 4 Oct 2007 by musicdoesnthavetobeboring

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a sad little book
Lovely illustrations and my 3 year-old son enjoys the story, but it is really quite sad. On every page the little boy, Bernard, is being told by one of his parents "not now", to the point where they don't notice that he's been replaced by a monster whilst eating his dinner or going to bed.

This story does get read at bedtime once or twice a onth in our house...
Published on 6 Oct 2006 by Dr. H. Payne

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming tragicomic tale for toddlers!, 4 Oct 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars something for the whole family, 19 Feb 2011
My almost 3 year old son loves this book as it has a monster, my 5 year old daughter loves this book because she can read it herself and although it makes me cry I love this book because it makes me think about how often I am saying 'not now...' all parents say it and while teaching children that it is not always appropriate to interrupt is important so it taking the time to listen to what our children are telling us and spending a little time in their world. Children view it as a funny book with monsters that a new reader can access not a scary story of indifferent, neglectful parents and it is this fact that makes in such a good book and the illustrations are great to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ask yourself do I give my children enough Attention?, 29 Oct 2000
Reading this book made me ask myself do my children get enough attention? The children related to this book.
Bernard is left to his own devices. He seeks attention from the family and then gets eaten by a monster..the parents don't realize they are talking to a monster and not to their son Bernard (even the monster gets confused)...
It has the great affect of making a monster seem friendly. Explaining the dilemma parents have of trying to spend time with their children and at the same time getting on with their household chores. Easy enough for your 4-5 year old to read along with you.
I intend to buy extra copies to send to other family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent children's story., 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Not Now, Bernard (Paperback)
Bought for my grand daughter who was sad when she had to take the borrowed book back to the library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved by both of my girls, 22 Oct 2007
I adore this book and it has been cherished and read again and again for my 2 daughters. They found the idea of Bernard's parents not noticing he'd turned into a monster very funny and not at all sad or scary. I personally don't think there is any sinister message here - all kids know of the feeling of being ignored by their parents at some point in their lives!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite book when I was a boy!, 5 Aug 2006
Charles Forster-Hall "Serg" (Brighton UK) - See all my reviews
This was my favourite book when I was a boy, read it a million times. The cool thing is, when you read it as an adult you realise that there is an important mesage there too.
Ignore your children and they will turn into monsters.
Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit of an insight into parent/children relationships., 13 Oct 2007
Bezerus Bezby "Bez" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I loved this book as a child and my children love it now. A womderfully funny but short book, making it suitable for smaller children. Mum and dad are so preoccupied with day to day life, they fail to spot that their son Bernard has been eaten by a monster and the monster is now masquarading as Bernard.

A real treasure this one- you won't mind reading it over and over again to your little 'uns.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a sad little book, 6 Oct 2006
Dr. H. Payne - See all my reviews

This story does get read at bedtime once or twice a onth in our house but I can't say that I like it at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not now Bernard!, 13 Nov 2006
Mr. Anthony P. Collins "littleantney" (Deepest Darkest Beds) - See all my reviews
We used to read this most evenings before bedtime to both our children. For the children it's a story with a monster, for adults it's a sad story of a boy who's parents just don't have enough time to notice him. Great book and not too boring when you've "read it" for the 200th time! We now buy it for our friends children, so that there is a good book around if we get the honour of the bedtime story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant children's book for adults as well!, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Not Now, Bernard (Paperback)
This was one of my favourite books as a child, fantastic illustrations with fun messages for kids and adults alike, I've recently discovered new meanings reading it as a 'grown up'!

Not Now, Bernard
Not Now, Bernard by David McKee (Paperback - 4 Oct 2012)
5.24