5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful colours, great story
Published on 22 Jan. 2012 by Ms G. Litherland

3.0 out of 5 stars Having read The Great Dogs Bottom Swop
Having read The Great Dogs Bottom Swop, I bought this one hopping it would be as funny. Unfortunately it isn't ! It is entertaining, but for me the story doesn't flow very well, and because of that it doesn't seem so funny!
Published 18 days ago by Sue Hayman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful colours, great story, 22 Jan. 2012
There's so much going on in the text. The rhymes and scansion are playful and never forced, with a plot that belts along and rather a likeable loser of a baddie (in fact my daughter's far more intimidated by the guard-ram than the wolf, just as intended I'm sure). The pictures are lovely - in particular there's a set of images of a blossom tree that are just beautiful and the end papers really did make me gasp when I first opened the book, so beautiful. As the other reviewer said, you'll be able to read this over and over again and keep enjoying it, even as an adult finding more on further readings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the parent to read, 21 Aug. 2011
V. Carlin (London, England) - See all my reviews
My children & I are fans of the Great Dog Bottom Swap, as well as Bentley's Shark in the Dark and Matsuoka's lovely paintings in Raffi's Surprise & the other one with the wolf. This isn't as funny as Dog Bottom Swap, and it lacks the brilliant simplicity of Shark in the Dark. But it's wittier than the latter and Bentley's rhymes are always brilliant for a parent to read, a lot of rhymes that run through the middle of sentences. The pictures are very beautiful and fun, little ladybirds to point out, that kind of thing. I've given it 5 stars because I think this partnership is streets ahead of most other picture book writers.

The plot: wolf tries a series of disguises to get close to the lambs in a flock, but is foiled every time. The climax, in which he ends up 'in a big pile of poo' is a great hit with both my 4 and 2 year old daughters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can Lou Pine fool the sheep into thinking he's one of them? What do you think?, 24 Jun. 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Great Sheep Shenanigans (Paperback)
Some of the jokes here will whizz over the heads of the intended audience, but allow adults reading a small chuckle.

Lou Pine the wolf attempts to disguise himself in various ways as he does his best to find himself a sheep supper. But luck and Rambo the Ram thwart him at every turn.

His valiant plans are very funny - we like the candy floss machine attempt to look woolly the best.

And we liked the ending of course - anything with poo is good at the moment.

The language, though clever and playful to read did go above my three-year-old's head somewhat, but he got the gist of it and was adamant that Lou wouldn't eat a sheep. He also liked the Red Riding Hood reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest book ever - according to my 3 yr old, 19 July 2012
This review is from: The Great Sheep Shenanigans (Paperback)
I bought this book about 6 weeks ago and we have read it every night since. My 3 yr old daughter adores it, she insist we read it every night, and nothing else will do. I have to admit it is a good book, well written, good pace, the rhyming works well. The story made me laugh and my daughter fall about.

It is a fast paced tale about a wolf trying to get hold of lambs for his tea, maybe not great if your child hasn't worked out some animals eat others, but good, clean fun, the wolf gets his just desserts, thanks to an oversized ram and cunning granny.

I'm definitely going to buy the other books by the same author

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Great Sheep Shenanigans (Paperback)
I initially bought "Shark in the Dark", which my Granddaughter absolutely loves, so looked at buying others from the same author. I wasn't disappointed. This is a great story with lovely pictures & just the right length for a 2 - 3 yr old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story, 2 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Great Sheep Shenanigans (Paperback)
Brilliant story with lovely flow, rhyme and repetition. With beautiful and eye catching illustrations - tiddlers will love it...mine does...and so do I!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, funny book, 7 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Great Sheep Shenanigans (Paperback)
My 2yr old son and I love this book! The rhyming and humourous storyline make it fun to read and a firm favourite. Illustrations are beautiful too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bedtime storytelling at its best, 30 Dec. 2013
moocifer (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Sheep Shenanigans (Paperback)
My 28 month old son loves me reading & acting out this story to him. The illustrations are well suited & capture his attention too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love reading this book - the kids think it's funny ..., 30 Mar. 2015
R. Anderton "Randerton" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Sheep Shenanigans (Paperback)
I love reading this book - the kids think it's funny but they have no idea how funny it is for mum as well
I love 'a gran-flavoured snack'

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful book. This is the first book our daughter ..., 28 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Great Sheep Shenanigans (Paperback)
Absolutely wonderful book. This is the first book our daughter has taken to and it's a pleasure to read to her

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Great Sheep Shenanigans
The Great Sheep Shenanigans by Peter Bently (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2012)