5.0 out of 5 stars Speed Writing Skills Training Course
BakerWrite really cuts the mustard. Also, it is so, so, so easy to learn. For most of us it is all we shall ever need. Lots of us would find it useful:

students, researchers, academics
anyone in a commercial office
anyone who regularly drafts letters or reports
professionals such as engineers, lawyers, doctors, nurses
anyone who regularly...
Published on 25 May 2011 by Wisemann

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
think I need to go on a tutoring course
Published 2 months ago by fred

5.0 out of 5 stars Speed Writing Skills Training Course, 25 May 2011

students, researchers, academics
anyone in a commercial office
anyone who regularly drafts letters or reports
professionals such as engineers, lawyers, doctors, nurses
anyone who regularly attends meetings or conferences
etc

Speedwriting is faster than longhand. The second virtue is worth considering too: it lets you reduce your 'writing miles' by more than 50 percent. Imagine Friday afternoon at the end of a really busy week, which has been jam-packed with lectures or meetings. You have made your notes using less than a half of the writing you would have required when using longhand. Imagine your satisfaction! Because your hand does not need to write so quickly (when compared to longhand) you can lay down a neater copy as well.

So, speedwriting gives you wings and it lightens your load. Because of its simplicity and serviceability BakerWrite is one of the best systems you will find. Highly recommended.
[ Heather Baker has written 2 books - 'Easy 4 me 2 Learn Speed Writing' and 'Speed Writing Skills Training Course'. The first book has cartoons and the second has photographs. The text in both is the same; this report can be applied to both books, therefore ]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great system to make quick notes at home and at work or at school, 25 April 2014
Learning any shorthand system takes considerable investment of time it can be frustrating just deciding which system is best for your needs considering that all systems have pros and cons and this is a new system without many reviews so I've decided to write quite a long review to try to help others work out if this system is right for their needs.

The speed writing course given in this book is very quick to learn. Even if you don't practice all the exercises you will pick up enough to make your life a bit easier when writing notes. Most people who will use this for work or school will have to practice though.

It's a well thought out system which has endless uses for writing anything from a shopping list to longer notes such as dictated letters. For writing out dictation at top speed you will definitely have to practice and even then you will not be as fast as if you write something designed for speed and accuracy (Pitmans for example). This alphabetical system is useful however, if you are interested in learning a system for now and think you will likely progress to Teeline or (better IMO Pitman's) later.

This system uses only the alphabet - there are no squiggles or lines to have to memorize. Words are abbreviated to the consonants that you hear most, vowels are removed unless absolutely necessary. Some letters can be written super or subscript to symbolize different common groups of lettering, I would say this is really the most handy thing - to learn a repertoire of short versions for prefixes and suffixes represented by a letter. It's very easy to learn how to do this and quite fun too.

Be aware that this system is not going to be any good for writing a secret diary! If you learn this system of short hand, it isn't like writing in a code and the big benefit is how easy it is to read back. So it's quite good for quick diary entries if you want others to be able to understand, if they are fairly intelligent, they will get the gist of it.

To sum up - I would say that this system suits someone who takes regular, short notes or needs to make regular notations on documents. I've not used this system for taking prolonged notes like hours of verbatim notes for meetings or lectures. I think that Pitmans would be better for these situations. And another bonus this system has over other systems of short hand is that you can write on blank paper - Teeline etc need lined paper. So, this form of shorthand is an extremely useful system to use in the margin of hard copy texts or over documents or if you need to rewrite the odd paragraph in margins of texts.

I found after reading this book that suddenly the penny dropped about what I had learned nearly a decade ago when trying to learn both Teeline and Pitman (at different times and failing to grasp either). I have now learned Teeline and am learning Pitman. I think this book actually is a good 'warm up' for people who might be interested in learning these two other systems but feel a trifle overwhelmed. You will see some similarities like the prefix/suffix and the 'phonetic' way of writing uses the letters which are translated to the corresponding sound outlines, in Teeline in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Wonderful alternative to Shorthand, 14 May 2013
I was desperate for something easier than Pitman 2000 - I never thought speedwriting could be so easy - I use it every day and have recommended it to many of my colleagues.

If you don't like shorthand - check this out. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just in time for note taking at University, 27 July 2013
C. Bennett (UK) - See all my reviews
I spend a lot of time supporting students at University. One of the most difficult areas for many of my dyslexics is note taking, keeping up with the lecturer or being able to understand their notes at the end of the lecture. This book is fantastic aid for students to use this method to consistently shorten words.it starts off with words that perhaps we may all be able to shorten eg "c" for see, sea. The chapters then take a leisurely journey through to more complex words using suffixes and prefixes.
I have not used this with students yet but I am so excited that I will be able to integrate this into my support for the start of the new year. Excellent book and will be helpful for most students to more effectively record notes in lectures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my note-taking much better, 20 July 2013
Shorthand is too complicated for me - and this book neatly taught me the way to keep up with my note-taking tasks while keeping the content clear...

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 9 July 2013
An initial brief look through has filled me with hope that I am finally going to crack being able to keep up with minuting meetings successfully - specifically the longer ones with lots of participants all wanting to make their point!. I could never quite get to grips with the 'squiggle' of other traditional shorthand taking that many others are able to use, despite more than one attempt, and am adamant and quietly confident I can work through this guide and finally make minute taking that much easier.

Thank you for the fantastic offer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You, 25 Feb. 2014
I am writing this review to say thanks for the free e-books. I haven't read them all yet, but think it's great to have them and are able to dip into them. I will be doing an NVQ soon so will hopefully find the books useful for that. I work in a GP's surgery and may one day consider trying out for a Medical Secretary position there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 14 Feb. 2014
The books are fantastic. In my role sitting on a lot of committee's which seem to generate loads of reports this is just the kob

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful Guide to Sped Writing, 16 July 2013
I enjoyed reading the steps of precise and concise speed writing. This will be particularly helpful to me in future educational exams when answering questions and or writing a short essay on topics as required. Key points being the importance of communicating an objective, proof reading and grammar. The themes of describing, evaluating and debate followed by persuasion are all worth using as structures for writing from note taking. I recommend the read as worthwhile and refreshing, a good confidence builder for the crucial workplace skill of business writing and personal use necessities, especially for formal letter writing. The topics covered will be put to valuable use in my future processing and note taking of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a useful skill to learn, 15 July 2013
I attempted to learn shorthand in college many years ago - and failed miserably! When I heard about speedwriting I decided I would 'give it ago', as being able to take notes at speed would be very useful in my work. I'm so pleased I bought the book - the method is very easy to use and intuitive, and the book is divided into manageable chunks of learning and practise (which is aided by the free workbook and dictation exercises available from the UoL website).

Speedwriting is very easy to learn as long as you put in the practice, and I particularly like that you can adapt it to your own individual requirements.