5.0 out of 5 stars If you want a really good read...
I loved this book. Brilliant, I said as I reluctanly read the last sentence. It is so difficult to find a book you keep wanting to get back to but this has it. It is also very well written, full of suspense, excellently researched and this from sombody who doesn't read thrillers.
Published on 3 Nov 2010 by Fern

3.0 out of 5 stars Neat great peace type story
Good read and the characters were interwoven well. I would have liked if the baddies got caught. But you can see that some organisation could make a government worry if they could combine their threat with a natural disaster
Published 12 months ago by George Lazur

2.0 out of 5 stars zzzzzzzzzz, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dead in the Water (Kindle Edition)
Stuck with it until the end but found it really boring. I suppose if you are into politics then you will probably enjoy it a great deal as it was well written, it just wasn`t my type of read.

1.0 out of 5 stars A great start, then downhill to a poor ending, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dead in the Water (Kindle Edition)
After reading the first chapter about a massacre in a Venezuelan village, I downloaded this book as it looked really interesting. What a disappointment! The chapters dealing with Rachel (who secretly videoed the massacre from her hiding place) and her escape from the jungle and eventually back to England were good enough, though perhaps a bit too much detail about her time with the natives who helped her.
It jumped from her to her father in London (and back and forth) and here I got very irritated. I dislike books written in the present tense - "he drinks his coffee", "he walks to work", "he looks out of the window", etc. and there were too many times he answered his mobile, or texted someone or left a message.
There were so many conspiracy theories going around. Were the bombings and threats in London from a terrorist group, or were they connected with the Venezuelan massacre? Was his son a terrorist? Were the bombings genuine or were the Police lying? Was the UK and/or the USA or Venezuelan government mixed up in it or was it a private group?
I almost gave up half way through, but struggled on, skimming the boring sections about politics (I get enough of that from the news) because I hoped to find the answers. Sadly, even at the end I was none the wiser who had committed the original atrocity; who had bugged whose phone/home and why; who were the real baddies and why wasn't anybody caught or punished for it???
Sorry, but I was left very cross about this book and will not be reading any more by this author - only my opinion, of course!

3.0 out of 5 stars So many shills, 26 Jan 2013
David Parry "bigbasspa" (Lancaster, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead in the Water (Kindle Edition)
Would I purchase this book? Probably not as on checking its reviews I found quite a number of shill reviews. 'Shill' a gushing, over the top, 5 star review where the author of the review has only reviewed one book, this one, and is obviously trying to boost sales for the author. Some reviewers complain of poor writing, poorly written characters and a rushed, unsatisfying ending. Compare these with the 'gushers' and I tend to believe the former.

This book may well be excellent but so many shills put me right off.

If anybody is offended by my use of 'Shill' in review comments then try and write a realistic review next time and try and review more than just the one book.

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have passed on this one, 28 Sep 2011
This review is from: Dead in the Water (Kindle Edition)
I thought this book was so boring I couldn't finish it. It was full of stereotypes, clichéd characters, text and mundane sub plots. It was also like a verbal meccano where various elements had been bolted together as opposed to seamlessly fused. It might not have been, but seems to have been written on one those programmes available for formulated creation.

Of the two thirds I did read, it would have benefitted by being cut by 50%. Action was subsumed in trivial chitchat and irrelevance which slowed down the action. The 'thinking about divorce' situation between the hero and his wife was so obviously a devised 'conflict' and as such had little interesting about it. I have given one star because less can't be given anyway but I did think the parts of the novel describing the events in the Venezuelan jungle were very good, certainly the best of everything I read, but not those involving another cliché of an older man infatuation in the same country. The other plus was the proofreader clearly knew his job.

ARRAY(0xab49b744)

DEAD in the WATER
DEAD in the WATER by Brian Woolland (Paperback - 29 July 2010)
7.99