5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book to explore management theory, 27 May 2011
This review is from: A Very Short Fairly Interesting and Reasonably Cheap Book About Studying Leadership (Very Short, Fairly Interesting & Cheap Books) (Paperback)
I have never written a review before, but I thought that I would for this book, just to give a brief overview of what it is....or not. I'm currently studing for an MSc in Leadership and Management. This book doesn't give you the theory and definitions of different styles of management - you can get those from the chunky bibles - it is more of a literature review of many texts and allows you to critically analyse managers, their practices and actions. If you are doing post graduate studies, this will get the little grey cells working and give you great pointers to specific fields of management and key authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 15 Nov. 2011
I bought this for the first year of my MSc in leadership and management and found it to be a fantastic resource, very easy to read, it was exactly the introduction to the subject that I needed. Packed full of useful references the ideal starting point for a student new to the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource, 2 Feb. 2012
Phil Deer (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Like Pinkskichick, I am studying for a postgraduate management and leadership qualification (CMI Level 7 Diploma).

I was pointed towards this book by a researcher at the CMI Library in Corby, and I was immediately struck by how well written and organised it is. Most importantly for me, it has a HUGE reference list in the back. This not only allows you to cite the texts accurately in your assignments (my tutor has commented on the quality of my referencing, cheap Brownie points!), but it also allows you to delve into the detail of the quoted texts via Google Scholar or a standard Internet search really easily.

I wouldn't necessarily describe the book as "Very Short" - I was expecting it to be one of the bullet-list type books so common in the field, when actually it's quite detailed and the text is fairly small. Anyone buying this in the hope of reading it on the train or the plane, or on the sunlounger on holiday, might find it heavy going.

But as a study resource, I think you'll find it invaluable.

I'm a Learning and Development Manager and I'm just about to kick off a leadership programme aiming towards the CMI Level 4 Diploma. I've bought all of the participants a copy of the book, and I'm hoping they find it as useful as I have.

If Messrs Jackson and Parry read this review - thank you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb overview of leadership studies, 27 Jan. 2014
Having just completed PhD research into the role of leadership in conducting orchestras, I can highly recommend this book. Although conductors can be perceived as archetypal leaders, the ability to understand leadership is not always seen as a priority amongst aspiring conductors. This book helped me get an overview and source leadership concepts that are relevant to the world of music and conducting in particular. An invaluable resource.

4.0 out of 5 stars great core text for university, 28 Feb. 2013
great supporting text for my university Leadership course. has all the information needed. it is basic, but has good references for further reading. written in a casual and easy to follow style, with real life examples. i like it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book, 19 April 2013
Have found this book to be essential reading as part of the business masters I am undertaking, Easy to read, flows well and is a good read on the topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Aug. 2014
Yes a very clear and effective guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Aug. 2014