on 3 July 2007
I have been teaching literature review techniques to masters and PhD students for several years and I wholeheartedly endorse this book. Wallace and Wray have produced a clear, comprehensible and structured approach to critical reading and writing. The book provides a number of useful exercises and the worked examples are excellent. The book is essential reading for postgraduate students, researchers and educators in any social science discipline.
on 13 September 2006
If you are new in the field of academia and are feeling a bit lost where, critical reading and writing is concerned, then this is the book for you! It is carefully thought out, easy to follow and provides excellent examples within each section. I particularly found the section on writing a literature review useful as this area is always a bit of a minefield. This book is suitable for Post-Grads at all levels and even the more experienced student/academic may learn a few new skills.
on 23 June 2011
This book sits on my desk, filled with little flags and I have all the forms on my computer. It has provided so much information and structure and just plain HELP towards my postgrad studies. Get it - you NEED it. I wish I had known this stuff when I was doing my GCSEs (well 'O' levels in my case!). The book is readable for any age and interesting and contains so much I wish I had known years ago. It fits very well with "A student's Guide to Methodology", also on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Students-Guide-Methodology-Cathy-Nutbrown/dp/141292913X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308816774&sr=1-1
on 26 November 2009
For someone who hasn't been to uni and learnt to write critically at this level, this book is a lifesaver! After being tasked with writing a 3000 word critical review on 5 journal articles, I didn't know where to start, but after just reading chapters 1-5 (enough for the first year in my opinion), I already have a much clearer idea of how to structure and present my essay. I find myself referring to it constantly. Also very readable and not difficult to understand. Highly recommended.
on 8 March 2013
I am a Bsc. student and I did not do too well in my first and second year essays. I got a book (Write It Right: A Handbook for Students by Palgrave Study Guides) at the end of my first year but that did not help much; I got comments from markers like "too descriptive" and "not enough critical analysis" duh.
At the end of my second year, in frustration, I decided to get this book. I figured if it is good enough for masters students, it will do a lot of good for an undergraduate like myself.
My first essay in my third year, I scored 72, far higher than my average for the last 2 years.
This book really helped and it has a lot of examples of critical analysis, critical evaluation and how you can read your own work critically.
Buy Buy Buy.
on 12 January 2014
Helpful book for critical reading and writing although business/education/legal based and so difficult to compare with my MSc but useful tips.
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2010
The subject was written as at first glance, and admittedly second through fourth, this was not a book that inspired me to pick it up. This was quite foolish in hindsight as it denied time to read through it and expand on my own thinking, reading and writing.

The text is written to be as clear and accessible as possible. Even though the text is about critical reading, when the examples become more technical you feel that you are at a place where you can take them on.

Since the text is about analysing, the examples that the authors use is around literature and their own specialities. The issue this causes is that it can be more difficult to relate to for one not used to the subject matter.

In conclusion, the text is very useful for any person in higher education. Whilst I am on a postgraduate qualification, this would have been extremely beneficial when an undergraduate. The flaws can be overcome, and the book will leave you feeling...and thinking...wiser
on 24 September 2013
This book was recommended by lecturers.
I find it easy to study.
It's a must have in a PG students' book shelve.
It's very informative and educative.
It opens yours eyes to what to look for when reading and how to put into black and white what you have read.
on 13 November 2011
This is one of the best books for postgraduate researchers I have come across. Some brighter undergraduate students could cope with this but I would urge the authors to produce a similar book for that large market.
on 17 November 2009
This is an excellent, practical guide to critical reading and writing for postgrad level. I am a PhD student and have found this invaluable so far - it has given me some solid tips and clear and easy to use tools to make my reading more effective, efficient and critical.