5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent beginner's book
Published on 29 Oct 2010 by J. Clark

1.0 out of 5 stars stating the obvious!
Published on 13 April 2012 by Smedley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent beginner's book, 29 Oct 2010
J. Clark - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Digital Photography Handbook: An illustrated step-by-step guide from choosing your camera to using advanced digital techniques (Paperback)
This is an excellent introduction to digital photography for beginner to intermediate level. It covers a wide field from hardware and composition basics to software photo editing. The style reminded me of the popular "Garden Expert" series of books by Dr David Hessayon - clear and concise, with straightforward advice. It's also great value for money at just over 5 GBP delivered.

1.0 out of 5 stars stating the obvious!, 13 April 2012
Chosen because of the good reviews this book receives. My camera manual tells me how to change the various settings but not what effect these changes would have on the image, which is what i'd hoped this book would clarify . it really doesn't help at all, so much time wasted on what camera to buy and a list of items you may or may not require to take good photos like maybe a tripod to keep the camera still?! who'd have thought! most chapters are so short and really offer very little technical advice. As an example, on portraiture it suggests using the portrait setting on your camera, genius! if you're not sure which bit to point and which button to press this may be the book for you, but it was not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Digital Photography Handbook, 19 Nov 2011
This book is brilliant. I was determined to learn the extent of my own camera's capabilities and, even though the instruction manual which came with it was explained fairly well, I found this book to be really informative. The booklet which came with the camera told me how to operate it but this handbook explained why you should be doing something, how to do it and also gave tips. It's a really good buy and very easy to understand. I must admit I'd done a lot of researching into this type of book in bookshops, looking for one which was fairly technical but easily understandable. One or two of the items I had to read and re-read in order to be able to understand them fully but found it was an extremely helpful book.

I would certainly recommend this if you are fairly new to digital cameras or, even if more experienced, it explains in depth as to how you can get better photographs and is a good reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 7 May 2011
Ms. N. J. Washbrook "mad munchkin" (WEST MIDLANDS) - See all my reviews
This is a great booked, recently updated and full of easy to follow guides to digital photography. Each section has been written so that you can either read this book cover to cover; or select specific areas what you are interested in. A fantastic price and I would highly recommend this book to anyone new to digital photography or the more experienced as there is something for everyone in here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 May 2011
Excellent little book whether you are new to digital photography or already know your stuff. It guides you through all the jargon and explains things in a clear and concise manner. You can just dip in and out as you gain confidence. If your camera came without a manual, as mine did (i know it comes on a CD that you can just pop in your computer)then you definitely shouldn't be without this book. When I go on holiday or just out and about for the day, a manual is much better, as you don't always have a PC/Laptop with you!! When I want to look something up or refresh my memory on something it will be much easier to revert to this little book. I can leave my camera on auto settings, until I get used to it, then experiment with diferrent settings as suggested by the author. I will never be another David Bailey, but with practice my experience will grow. I bought this after reading all the previous reviews and they weren't wrong. An excellent little book and would thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book for amateur photographers, 31 Jan 2011
I have just bought a new Canon SX20 IS Camera from Amazon, and wanted a book to help me get into photography in a bit more depth, I am not totally new to photography, but want to enhance my knowledge and skills..... this book is an excellent way to do this.... if you are an amateur like me, and want to progress to being a better photographer, then this book is a great place to start!

4.0 out of 5 stars Digital Photography, 20 Aug 2011
Bishy (East Midlands) - See all my reviews
As a newbie to Digital Photography, I needed a 'leg up' with the jargon and technical stuff. To this end the book explained many otherwise complex elements in a language even I could understand. A bit too much computer and photo manipulation for my liking as I want my camera to do the talking and not fudge things afterwards. That said though, an enjoyable and help full book that I would recommend to all beginners looking for simple explanations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy handbook peps up your photography, 29 Jan 2011
The book is heavy for its size - a bit too heavy, I fear, for the average camera bag. Despite this minor drawback, even as an experienced photographer I found it very useful. It is well laid-out and full of practical tips and excellent examples showing the reader what can be achieved by anyone with a serious attitude towards photography. "Digital photographer" is not a synonym for "dabbler". Take the content of this book onboard and do your camera justice! A very good buy, even at the undiscounted UK price.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very approachable guide., 6 Aug 2013
I borrowed this from a friend and it was really helpful so I bought my own copy. It takes you through the basics of digital photography and explains those mystifying terms in an easily-to-follow way with good illustrations. It covers everything from how to take great photos to storing and editing them with Photoshop or similar software and how to set up a website for your pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction, 17 Mar 2013
I have oned three digital cameras and have been using 35mm with success for more than 50 years but I was confused by the many opportunities which my new higher spec. compact digital offered. The absence of full documentation meant that it was a "trial and error job". This handbook explained the processes of digital photography and the way in which the many settings can be used to produce worthwhile photography. It enabled me to move away for the automatic setting ealier than would normally have been the case. The section on using a computer to enhance images was useful and had suggestions which I had not previously seen. There is more to learn but this introduction was both better and less expensive than a one day introductory course. The detailed contents list is very useful. The beginner would also find this to be a book which could be used to explore the world of digital photography - but a conversation with someone who understands the working of cameras would be an essential first step.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›