1,293 Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed page-turner
Published on 20 Oct 2011 by Joanne Sheppard

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Depths, 11 Nov 2011
Mr. Peter Franklin "Pedro" (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
I was after an easy read and bought this book as it appeared at face value to be a fairly simple whodunnit murder mystery. Not a bit of it. It worked for me on many levels. There is the murder and it's investigation, which drives the plot forward, but it's the skeleton that everything else is attached to. The central character, Fin is telling his own historical story and the author relates the present day action. This works pretty well, ensuring you don't go wrong as the story dovetails between the two. I was bitten by the descriptions of the island, even going as far as peering at Google Earth to enhance my understanding. (Wish I'd known Crobost was fictional beforehand though.)

The telling of Fin's early life and loves brought to mind Thomas Hardy, both in the style of May's writing and how his relationships seem doomed to complicated failures, the fault of Fin's flawed character as much as the other characters. You wonder if there's autobiographical elements here. There is a sense of foreboding that builds as the book progresses through the setbacks of Fin's life that gives the ending an unexpected feel. I would also agree May builds a real sense of claustophobia, no mean feat in the open, practically tree-less island with stunning beaches and wild but picturesque landscapes. Sub-plots include the changing ways of island life over a 30 year period, Fin's job and the annual controversial guga cull.

So did I get my easy read? Not as I thought. The book was much more involved and demanding that I anticipated. But it so easily draws you in and carries you along. Ultimately much more rewarding than a simple murder mystery. I like to read in the bath and a good judge of a book for me is how much I read at a time there. Cold water and prune-like skin became a problem.

I certainly recommend this book and will look forward eagerly to the next two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark secrets, 9 Jun 2011
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The novel is set on the remote island of Lewis far off the coast of northern Scotland. This is an area that the author will know well since he spent several years there producing and filming the Gaelic language TV series, Machair. This gives an authenticity to the very strong descriptions of this remote, rugged, weather-beaten corner of the British Isles. In particular, May's description of the annual guga (gannet) hunt is fascinating both in its detail and in the light it sheds on the island community's strong attachment to its ancient traditions.

DS Fin Macleod is sent back to Lewis to investigate a murder that resembles one that took place earlier in his Edinburgh patch. Returning home after 20 years away, Fin is thrown into remembering and re-assessing his difficult childhood and adolescence. The book alternates between the present day and Fin's past and it gradually emerges that the shadow of that past may be involved in the current investigation.

At first, I found the alternation between the present and the past irritating as it seemed to break the flow of the story. However, as the links between the two became clearer, the tension gradually mounted and came finally to an unexpected and dramatic climax. Along the way, May describes a community more inclined to deal with problems internally rather than involving the authorities, a place where the young people are beginning to challenge the traditions and strict religious observances of their elders and where dark secrets can sometimes come back to haunt.

Not a traditional whodunit crime novel, this is more an examination of the why of the mystery and is ultimately perhaps more satisfying for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark goings on, and some clever twists, 26 Feb 2011
Bloodaxe (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Blackhouse (Hardcover)
I've read several of the authors' previous works (from his two crime series The China Thrillers and the Enzo Files) so knew the kind of things to expect - or so I thought. But The Blackhouse is even better.

Peter May's great storytelling soon drags you in to a number of strands. On the face of it, The Blackhouse starts as a relatively simple murder mystery. But it soon becomes much more than that, a tale of rediscovery and childhood memories interspersed with some great descriptions of the harsh landscape and unique way of life of the islands. And the way the author handles the same character in the both present and the past is excellent. I don't usually like childhood growing up stories, but this one kept me gripped.

Typically, the plot is compelling. Right up until almost the last page, you are kept guessing - and wanting to know what will happen next. I read the book over 4 nights and on each the light didn't go out until after 1am. This book is very hard to put down!

Like the previous reviewer said, once it's over and the last page has been turned, you do keep on revisiting the story in your head. And wishing there was a bit more... because it's addictive. I've not actually been to the Outer Hebrides, but I certainly feel like I know the place now.

I understand there's likely to be a second book in the pipeline, so hopefully won't have to wait too long for my next fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Exciting Novel of The Year, 17 Jan 2012
I would have passed this book by but my daughter bought it and read it, she raved so much, I followed suit and read it. It was the most exciting novel I have read in ages, The plot and it's outcome was a page turner, it was book I didn't want to put down and the twist when it came, I did not forsee.

I had solved aspects of the story but not all of it and I love a book that can outwit me and The Blackhouse did. I loved it so much I could hardly wait for the follow up which was released recently and the tradition continues.

I would urge anyone to read this book, I cannot speak highly enough of the content. This is writing talent of the highest calibre. I loved it and as it's a trilogy there is more to come. A real whodunnit, with lots more besides. Peter May is an author I could come to perpetually praise, a gifted author who deserves acclaim. This book needs televising such is the mystery.

I dare you to solve it in it's entirety, that in itself is a challenge to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping page turner., 29 Oct 2011
The Blackhouse isn't the usual crime thriller. In fact the murder which brings Fin back to the island of Lewis rather fades into the background as he faces up to and comes to terms with the story of his own troubled past. I liked the juxtaposition of first and third person voices. This allowed us to get to know the young Fin well, while at the same time developing all three main characters into rounded people. This was cleverly done, though I did find some of the dialogue between the five year olds a little unconvincingly 'grown up'.

The island comes across as a wild place, battered by gales and rain, but also stunningly beautiful. It is the perfect setting for the story; the brutality of the crimes committed there contrasting with moments of unexpected goodness and kindness.

Poor Fin is shown at a traumatic moment in his turbulent life, and things get worse before they get better. Let's hope that the author will show us other sides to his character and fortunes in future books - and maybe give the poor man a break please!

First time for me reading this author, but all in all a very enjoyable book. Difficult to put down and I look forward to reading more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book - get it now!, 23 Sep 2011
Jeff "roadrunner" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Blackhouse (Hardcover)
I wasn't going to buy this book. The cover and its blurb 'evil lies within' were putting me off as I thought it'd be a Stephen King lookalike. Thank goodness I changed my mind as I haven't enjoyed a book so much in ages. It's not a crime novel [although at least one crime takes place] in the normal sense and is better for that as the police issues aren't handled that well in my opinion. I certainly think the character of the top cop Smith is overdone. So what it is is a going-back-to-my-roots, a facing up to childhood ghosts and as such is done with huge success. No, I haven't been to Lewis either but quite honestly, if you come from any tightly-knit society, you'll recognise the people here and many of the problems. I certainly did and if you're of a certain age, the memories of teenage angst which this book evoke are almost painful. Very well written - the switch between past and present is no problem at all. If you want an idea of the bleakness of the road north out of Stornaway towards the north of the island where much of the story takes place, try going to Google Streetview. Quite an eye-opener! Highly recommended book - I certainly will be getting the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, 11 Jan 2012
Really enjoyed this read !!... kept me guessing then all came together at the end .A book that grabbed me from the start, didn't get bored good characters ..setting and local culture incoperated well into the story ..all good....

5.0 out of 5 stars a gripping story of regret.. with a bit of murder thrown in, 18 Sep 2011
I saw this as part of the dreaded Richard and Judy stable, some of which I always like every year. It's a book you make time to read, to disappear off with it to try and keep up with the gripping yet poignant story. I like crime books but can find them repetitive. This, however, added into the mix some interesting insight into life of remote parts of Scotland and the culture and wildlife of the islands and also the changing dynamics of childhood based friendships .

All of the characters were beautifully written, were so real, and I have since found it's the sort of book that you may finish but stays in your head a long time afterwards.

I am delighted to read its part of a trilogy. I will definitely be pre ordering the next one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed page-turner, 20 Oct 2011
Joanne Sheppard (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I'll be honest and say that the setting was what attracted me to Peter May's The Blackhouse. I love the Scottish Western Isles more than anywhere else in the UK, possibly the world, and loved the idea of a creepy thriller set against the backdrop of the bleak beauty of the Isle of Lewis. And it would be unfair of me not to admit that May's portrayal of the island is extremely well-observed and atmospheric (albeit not particularly complimentary). Although undoubtedly meticulously researched, May never throws in detail for the sake of demonstrating this; there is no description or piece of island history that doesn't add something to our understanding of Lewis. It would also be unfair of me not to admit that it's extremely difficult not to keep turning the pages of The Blackhouse: I really did race through this book, which alternates a standard police whodunnit plot with first person flashbacks to Fin Macleod's largely unhappy Hebridean childhood as he is called back to Lewis from Edinburgh to investigate.

Ultimately, though, The Blackhouse just didn't quite deliver. To begin with, I struggled to believe in some of the characters. Fin Macleod is a grieving father whose eight-year-old has been killed only four weeks previously, but simply doesn't seem to remember this with anything like the frequency I'd expect, and although many of the characters are undoubtedly three-dimensional, they seem to move very rapidly from idle chitchat to shocking revelations in a way that I simply don't find credible. Peter May, apparently, begun his writing career in television, and I think perhaps this shows in the way he has written this novel - character development that might have been convincing on screen, portrayed with the right acting and direction, is simply too fast and too jarring here. A subtler, more organic approach would have been more successful. I also found the third-person sections, dealing with Fin's return to Lewis, a little lazy with regards to some pretty basic things like point of view.

The first person narrative is considerably more effective and also far more believable, perhaps because we're given the chance to see characters grow over time. Beginning with Gaelic-speaking Fin's first day at school, where he's told he must learn and speak English every day, and building up to his climactic rites of passage joining the sinister guga hunt, an annual trip to cull gannet chicks on a tiny barren rock of an island forty miles into the North Atlantic, these chapters are far superior to the police procedural plot strand, and certainly give the reader a fascinating insight into an island childhood and the odd claustrophobia of living in a tiny community. Fin's simultaneous dread and awe during the guga hunt (which is a real annual event for the Isle of Lewis) is evoked with particular skill.

However, when the two threads finally come together and the links between Fin's past and the brutal murder of the present become clear, again, we're back to a pace which makes it all seem rather cursory and rushed. There's a jaw-dropper of a plot twist, for instance, but it all seems to be thrown at us in something of a hurry.

There are many good things about The Blackhouse, but just a little more care and attention with character, plausibility and pace would have taken this book from a three-and-a-half star read to a five-star one. It appears, however, that this is to be the first in a trilogy, and I rather wonder if, as Fin's story continues, I'll find the things that I felt were missing from The Blackhouse. Despite The Blackhouse's faults, I suspect I'll still want to pick up the sequel for a long plane journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Detective Novel, 5 Oct 2011
Miss M. L. Berry (Halifax, W Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The story is set on the remote Outer Hebridean Island of Lewis. Fin (the detective and ex islander) is brought over to look at similarities between, a murder on Lewis and one he was investigating in Edinburgh.

On first impression this looks like a straight forward detective story, but really this is just a minor thread through the book like the backbone on a herringbone - it holds the piece together but all the meat is on the smaller bones. The real story is in the flashbacks to major events in Fins early life on the island before he left to go to University, never to return. The threads tie together as the book unfolds opening little cracks and hinting at motives and possible suspects for the murder.

I felt there was real affection in the descriptions of the island and life on it, tinged with a bit of warts and all. It is not presented in a sugar coated way, the hardships and harsh economic realities of struggling communi8ties who are fighting to keep their traditions, 'industries' and youngsters is laid bare.

There is real skill in the writing, the way the landscape and weather is described conjured endless images for me, despite having never been to Lewis I have travelled extensively the west coast of Scotland including Skye and Mull, and I also live high in the pennines with its harsh open moorland.

I really did enjoy this book and would thoroughly recommend it.

The Blackhouse
The Blackhouse by Peter May (Hardcover - 3 Feb 2011)
Used & New from: £0.99